Turn on thread page Beta

I'm teetotal but want to go into Banking, will I fit in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As the title says, I am teetotal. I have only ever drunk on two occasions in my life and never want to again.

I want a career in Banking because I am fascinated by financial markets and the city. However, I have heard there is a predominant drinking culture in the industry. Many people say that the lifestyle of a Banker is all about 'models and bottles'.
    The models part of that certainly appeals to me, yep me likey but alcohol is not for me.

Will I fit in or will I feel out of place in the industry?

ReputationRep:
    No, the only way to get into banking is to become an alcoholic. Failing that they may accept you if you become a coke head, but it's a long shot.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you do coke, you'll fit right in

ReputationRep:
    You have a chance. Unless your colleagues are Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    Well people tend not to drink at work, so it shouldn't matter when you're there...!

ReputationRep:
    Will you even have time to drink?

I joke
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't see why it should matter.

ReputationRep:
    I beleive Henry Paulson is, and has always been a teetotaler.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen someone drunk in an office?

ReputationRep:
    He isn't talking about drinking in the office, he's talking about networking and fitting in,and assimilating with the company culture and company politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    He isn't talking about drinking in the office, he's talking about networking and fitting in,and assimilating with the company culture and company politics.
    Yeah, exactly! I know people aren't drunk in the office lol, but when it comes to moving up the career ladder a lot of that comes down to getting in the good books of people in positions of influence. It is similar to how I have been advised to take up golf because lots of people in top management play it. You need to be able to relate to their colleagues. If all of my co-workers talk about drinking, then I will not be able to join in the conversations in the office...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David9)
    Yeah, exactly! I know people aren't drunk in the office lol, but when it comes to moving up the career ladder a lot of that comes down to getting in the good books of people in positions of influence. It is similar to how I have been advised to take up golf because lots of people in top management play it. You need to be able to relate to their colleagues. If all of my co-workers talk about drinking, then I will not be able to join in the conversations in the office...
    Are you a student or do you work in finance FT?

ReputationRep:
    You proper just made my day.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you enjoy screwing the public out of their money then you will fit right in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people with moral absolutes anyway - what's worse, having the odd glass of wine at some posh function or pissing your career down the drain?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of Muslims in Banking who don't drink and they do just fine. Don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok if you don't drink, you can still go along to social events without drinking. Just don't make a big thing about it, or look down on others that do (don't know why you would do that lol!)

ReputationRep:
    You could just go out and drink lemonade all night, nobody would know any different?
    They'd just think it had vodka in or something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Ironically this might actually make a difference depending on your desk. (Note this is for Sales and Trading. IBD kids don't have time to go out and drink).

Some desks are quite "laddish" and have a pretty strong culture of going out and drinking. Typically these are sales desks (usually in something cash...). You wouldn't typically fit in here. Others are more reserved, and you would fit in just fine. There will be a place for you.

Fun story: at a BB I once interned at, a sales team held a "networking event" for the interns on a weeknight. Plied us with free drinks. People started going home etc. Those who stayed till the bar closed at 2am got invited to a networking lunch the next day (and one of them got hired to the desk). HR were also round everyone's desks the next day to make sure everyone was in at 6:30 am.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your position. My dad is a banker and doesn't really drink but his friend is a trader and he ends up drinking a lot through all the after hours social stuff (which apparently is all part of the business). His liver's actually quite messed up now as a result...and he's supposed to be muslim :rolleyes:

I think there is a certain pressure but I'm sure you could overcome it.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.