Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Donate my body to science/medicine. May as well be some use still after I'm dead.

ReputationRep:
    Cremation, I mean come on burial is such a waste of space. When it comes to burial, they should do what they do on Cadia; wait until the name on the headstone is no longer visible due to weathering, then dig up and burn whats left so the space is re-used.

ReputationRep:
    Cremation all the way. Decided it a few years ago actually.

I just want my ashes to be spread in my favourite country(ies).

ReputationRep:
    It's not something that's likely to come up unless you bring it up to be honest. Just a quick comment about how your previous near accident made you think and this is what you want and move on. I suppose you could wait until you see a funeral on TV or something, but if you really want to make sure they get the point- tell them straight.
    My Gran was cremated last week, she always said that was what she wanted so that her ashes could be buried with my Granddad's ashes. I think I would want to be creamted too, but I haven't given it much thought.

ReputationRep:

But seriously, neither. I'm donating my entire body to medical science. Putting a good body into the ground/oven is a waste when it could go towards restoring people's lives or contributing towards research, or even just being used by medical students for practice. Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, but I personally think the concept of funerals is largely an archaic practice and waste of resources. Have a wake and mourn your loss by all means, but somebody could use the organs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for cremation. I want to have some of my ashes sent into space, so I kind of need to be cremated... My family know that.

As for bringing it up, just do it - it's not likely to come up spontaneously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    Burial in space. Not in ashes form but my whole body in formal attire. I may even defeat the process of decomposition because there is no oxygen.
    Space is also my option, if it's available when I'm older.

But I'd like my ashes to be placed into a glass ball and then thrown into space.

ReputationRep:
    Cremation. I don't think I am important enough to take up 2 cubic metres of the earths surface.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably completely wrong, but I thought you had to drop a large sum of money to be buried?
    There's church fees, as well as paying for the plot of land.

Though it doesn't matter to me which happens.. it's not like I'm going to know.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely buried. I know I'd be dead but I still can't picture myself being burnt, and then scattered. I'd want a pretty but modest grave. Hopefully my loved ones will come and visit and leave white lilies, and nice smelling roses in pinks and creams.
    Hopefully that time will come in atleast 60 years though (I'm only 18).

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe everyone's dissing burial! I would definitely rather feed some plants and invertebrates than add to atmospheric pollution.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is a lovely thread.

But I agree with you, I don't wanna be worm food.

ReputationRep:
    Cremation and scattering in Longdendale thank you very much.

There's enough junk in space already and not enough land on earth for everyone to permanently hog a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I love how many people can't stand of the thought bugs crawling on their lifeless body, however their burning body, they are fine with... Me? Well it is between polluting the air with my CO2 or taking up land.... Frankly... I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Buried. I want the worms to get me.

Spoiler:
    Show

If you really don't want to bring it up with your family, you could leave a note somewhere expressing your wishes (just make sure it's somewhere they'll find it before the funeral).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    Donate my body to science/medicine. May as well be some use still after I'm dead.

(Original post by Gofre)
    But seriously, neither. I'm donating my entire body to medical science.
    Perhaps you don't realise it but your body has to be disposed of either by cremation by the hospital or by burial (after the body is returned to your family) after three years. They won't normally accept your body if it has had a post mortem examination or had major organs removed.

ReputationRep:
    For me, I want to be frozen in a funny pose.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the idea of a gravestone. When I die I want to be eradicated from the earth entirely; so cremated and set free somewhere, definitely not put in the ground and the space marked. I don't care about worms or anything I just hate that in 100 years someone will wander along and see my name there.

ReputationRep:
    Also Cremation, no coming back as a zombie for me!

ReputationRep:
    I also want my ashes to be shot into space somehow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.