Turn on thread page Beta

why chinese student feel so piss off when we are comparing india and china watch

ReputationRep:
    im going to china next year so im interesting in chinese culture and stuff , i have found that chinese students in my uni are very upset about the comparison between china and india .
    I was talking to a chinese student about india and china and he was so angry with it because he said india and china are not comparable and seems like chinese
    dislike indian a lot , everytime i mention the word"chindia" chinese student would be very unpleasent with it , why? is there any issue between chinese and indian?
    (i think it is because china is well developed than india and chinese are kind of proud of china they are very patriotic )

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't be. They are both BRIC countries and have the two biggest populations on the planet. Two the west they are both pretty similar.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    People are comparing China and India? Have I missed something?:confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't you mean Pakistan and India?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Chindia'! :laugh: Who says that?

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese are usually very proud to be Chinese and don't largely identify with Indians. Also, some Chinese hold racist views towards non Chinese (including Indians), they might regard other races/countries as being inferior.

And the Chinese are proud of China, proud to be Chinese.

I thought Chindian was a person who was half Indian/half Chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bognor-regis)
    They shouldn't be. They are both BRIC countries and have the two biggest populations on the planet. Two the west they are both pretty similar.
    No, China and India are not pretty similar.

ReputationRep:
    Who thinks they are similar? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Who thinks they are similar? :lolwut:
    i think they are very similar but my chinese friend always give a bash when im saying that !!!!they are so angry with the comparison between china and india
    chinese people look down on india .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    No, China and India are not pretty similar.
    Yes they are - economically speaking anyway.

Though given the liberlisation of India's markets and the woes which are yet to hit China and soon will (from the onslaught of its US peg and the inflation bubble), India shall soon overtake China in terms of economics and as a world superpower of trade etc. It also has a better aging demographic, helped by the fact that it shall by 2013, have the largest population of any country in the world.

Politically and socially (I assume with the latter), they are of course very different to one another.

ReputationRep:
    well,, i will be pissed off too if my culture is compared to another ... i mean c'mon!!!
    common sense??? Chinese people are very proud of their culture plus they have this thinking of being superior to others. so it would be such an insult to them to have such comparison be made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)

Though given the liberlisation of India's markets and the woes which are yet to hit China and soon will (from the onslaught of its US peg and the inflation bubble), India shall soon overtake China in terms of economics and as a world superpower of trade etc. It also has a better aging demographic, helped by the fact that it shall by 2013, have the largest population of any country in the world.

Politically and socially (I assume with the latter), they are of course very different to one another.
    Wow, you got negged so much for that post on Oxbridge? Wtf?

You didn't make it clear you were talking in terms of economy.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont take it seriously
    Shallow and arrogant people exist in all parts of the world.
    I apologise to you (as a Chinese) on behalf of the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, This is just my experience, so don't have a go.

But in my experience Chinese people tend to be fairly racist. I mix up with all kinds of people, but Oriental/Chinese are very hard to mix with. I think they come from a very homogonised society and so are not as experienced with mixing up as others are. Plus, I have read some disturbing literature on the notion of Chinese superiority, it may be a accepted fact among SOME Chinese.

On another note, in some cases you can't compare India and China, China is well ahead in development. However, I would bet all my money that India will catch up and perhaps surpass China in the next 20-30 years, all the signs are pointing that way.

Nevertheless, Indians and Chinese have little to nothing in common. China is a authoritarian, homogonised society. India is a democratic, diverse society. Clearly a wide difference in values there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's probably more to do with the fact you're saying Chindia and calling them Chindians. It's one thing to statistically compare two countries, it's a whole other thing to amalgamate both into one.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's because china is better developed than india and chinese students in UK are usually richer so they are kind of snobbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)

Not likely. India has many years to go before it can take over the Chinese like that. Layman's terms here: The social welfare and spread of wealth between Indian citizens is immense. Corruption is rife (In both countries) and infrastructure in India - while improving - remains a huge issue. The effects of growth in India are only seen by a few, not every citizen benefits from it. To be fair, the wealth gap between the poor and rich is growing even more. But the Indian govt is trying to address that.

And yes - they are VERY different from one another. But I don't see why the Chinese student the OP mentioned got pissy about it.

ReputationRep:
    Well don't call them "Chindia", they are two massively different countries. To COMPARE them is ok (e.g. point out their DIFFERENCES) but to say they are so similar that you can amalgamate both names into one, is like calling Brazil and the US "Bramerica" when they are so far apart.

ReputationRep:
    How would you like it if someone thinks that UK and Americans are the same?

It has nothing to do with racism (although I do not deny that some Chinese can be racist - as with any other ethnicities in the world). It just isn't nice to feel that your culture and heritage has been dismissed so flippantly by someone not of your heritage. Yes, there are some similarities between China and India. There are also similarities between China and Iceland. And Russia. And everywhere else if you look hard enough. Does that make it okay for you to dismiss all the differences and lump them all together?

ReputationRep:
    yes

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.