Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Say we have a set, S, with two elements in it and I wanted to find out how many different binary operations * can I define on S, how many of these are a group and is isomorphic?

Searching around the method for finding the number of binary operations is S^(S^2) where S is the number of elements in the set. So would it be 2^4 = 16?

Now to find how many of these are a group. It leads me to believe that there will be 2 but I don't see why this is the case? What are you exactly looking for here?

Wouldn't both of the groups be isomorphic?

ReputationRep:
    The groups will be isomorphic, but don't forget it's asking you to count the number of binary operations that form a group, not the groups themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    The groups will be isomorphic, but don't forget it's asking you to count the number of binary operations that form a group, not the groups themselves.
    2 out of the 16 binary operations will be a group, right? therefore both are isomorphic?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you think your 2nd sentence follows ("therefore...") from the first?

ReputationRep:
    So both are Isomorphic is what I meant. Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    What makes you think you can define two binary operations on a group of order 2? What are they? [There is only one binary operation you can define.]

To define a binary operation you need to draw out a multiplication table. Say your group is \{e, x \}, and * is some binary operation. Then you have no choice over what e*e, e*x, x*e are equal to because (G, *) has to satisfy group axioms. But you have two "choices" over what x*x can be: it can either be e or x. However, one of these leads to a contradiction, so it turns out you only have one choice over what x*x can be. And hence there is only one binary operation. [Or at least, if \circ is another binary operation then the map g \mapsto g from (G, *) to (G, \circ) is an isomorphism.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    What makes you think you can define two binary operations on a group of order 2? What are they? [There is only one binary operation you can define.]

To define a binary operation you need to draw out a multiplication table. Say your group is \{e, x \}, and * is some binary operation. Then you have no choice over what e*e, e*x, x*e are equal to because (G, *) has to satisfy group axioms. But you have two "choices" over what x*x can be: it can either be e or x. However, one of these leads to a contradiction, so it turns out you only have one choice over what x*x can be. And hence there is only one binary operation. [Or at least, if \circ is another binary operation then the map g \mapsto g from (G, *) to (G, \circ) is an isomorphism.]
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3102041AAVgcah

This link is confusing then to what you have said!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3102041AAVgcah

This link is confusing then to what you have said!
    D'oh! I never considered treating x as the identity.

ReputationRep:
    D'oh! I never considered treating x as the identity.
    So the link is correct?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    So the link is correct?
    Yup. I fell into the trap of naming the elements of the group suggestively; i.e. calling one of them 'e'. Instead what you should do is let G={x,y}, and then for each choice of identity (either e=x or e=y) there is just one binary operation (as in my post), but since you have two choices of identity and there is one binary operation for each, there are two choices of binary operation. The multiplication tables make it fairly obvious whether or not the two are isomorphic.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I fell into the trap of naming the elements of the group suggestively; i.e. calling one of them 'e'. Instead what you should do is let G={x,y}, and then for each choice of identity (either e=x or e=y) there is just one binary operation (as in my post), but since you have two choices of identity and there is one binary operation for each, there are two choices of binary operation. The multiplication tables make it fairly obvious whether or not the two are isomorphic.
    Cheers!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.