Turn on thread page Beta

lost hope trying to find a job................. watch

im 18 i did well in my A2s and gcses but it seems that the system is ***** if i were not going to university and i were a typical chav with no ambitions I SWEAR I WOULD ROB,STEAL,COMMIT CRIME at this stage of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im 18 i did well in my A2s and gcses but it seems that the system is f**** if i were not going to university and i were a typical chav with no ambitions I SWEAR I WOULD ROB,STEAL,COMMIT CRIME at this stage of my life.
    Exactly the same, but I'm 19...

ReputationRep:
    Good thing you're off to uni then... I don't see your problem here?

ReputationRep:
    k...

ReputationRep:
    im 18 i did well in my A2s and gcses but it seems that the system is f**** if i were not going to university and i were a typical chav with no ambitions I SWEAR I WOULD ROB,STEAL,COMMIT CRIME at this stage of my life.
    So you are suggesting that if you were the type of person who commits crime, steals, robs etc, then you would steal, rob etc?!

Good, nice to know

ReputationRep:
    Do you want a rope, or shall I give you a knife to make it quicker...............

Same position as you OP but I'm 19.

I've just about given up all hope of finding a job. I've tried everything, I apply for jobs online, write to employers, go around shops on a weekly basis handing out CV's but only get rejection letters. I've had a job before, and the feeling you have when you have a job is nice. You feel wanted. Now? I feel very unwanted, depressed and looking at everything thats going on just makes it worse. There really isn't anything for most young people to look forward due to this ****ty government making cuts left, right and centre to OUR country, but they don't mind supporting people who live over the other side of the world do they?

Any ways, I wouldn't get your hopes up - Young peoples future at the moment looks very bleak and doesn't look set to get any better.

ReputationRep:
    Same position as you OP but I'm 19.

I've just about given up all hope of finding a job. I've tried everything, I apply for jobs online, write to employers, go around shops on a weekly basis handing out CV's but only get rejection letters. I've had a job before, and the feeling you have when you have a job is nice. You feel wanted. Now? I feel very unwanted, depressed and looking at everything thats going on just makes it worse. There really isn't anything for most young people to look forward due to this ****ty government making cuts left, right and centre to OUR country, but they don't mind supporting people who live over the other side of the world do they?

Any ways, I wouldn't get your hopes up - Young peoples future at the moment looks very bleak and doesn't look set to get any better.
    It is very bleak, i will agree. I took a BSc, passed, got a decent job, lost that when the company went under, spent about 6 months unemployed before deciding to spend all my savings and using a loan off my parents to go and take a masters degree. When i was unemployed i found it absolutely horrendous and ridiculously hard to find a job. Any job. Even things like bar and shop work i tended to be turned down for because 'having a good degree means i'm not going to hang around if something better comes along whereas if we employ someone without one they will stay forever'. That's particularly disheartening. How do you know i won't stay around?

As much as it pains me i agree with your comment about international funding too. I accept foreign aid needs to exist but it shouldn't be ring fenced to the degree that it is, it's better for that to be cut and money saved there meaning less cuts within the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on what job you are looking for only because you have good grades doesn't mean you'll automatically get a great job with great pay unless you live in a fantasy land.
    Everyone has to start from the bottom regardless of your grades start looking for a job as a waiter/ess work in fast food money is money at the end of the day don't look down on jobs like these that's the problem with some students they get snobby about it, then you can find a job in retail/office later.

Here's links to student jobs

http://www.e4s.co.uk/

http://www.student-jobs.co.uk/

http://www.justjobs4students.co.uk/

http://www.studentgems.com/

http://www.studentjob.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlietheunicorn)
    It is very bleak, i will agree. I took a BSc, passed, got a decent job, lost that when the company went under, spent about 6 months unemployed before deciding to spend all my savings and using a loan off my parents to go and take a masters degree. When i was unemployed i found it absolutely horrendous and ridiculously hard to find a job. Any job. Even things like bar and shop work i tended to be turned down for because 'having a good degree means i'm not going to hang around if something better comes along whereas if we employ someone without one they will stay forever'. That's particularly disheartening. How do you know i won't stay around?

As much as it pains me i agree with your comment about international funding too. I accept foreign aid needs to exist but it shouldn't be ring fenced to the degree that it is, it's better for that to be cut and money saved there meaning less cuts within the UK.

It's called "over-qualified". Happens in all parts of industry in every part of the world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.