Turn on thread page Beta

Help wth Morning After Pill/Pill/Sex Worries watch

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is on the pill but last month she took the morning after pill after we had sex once after being worried. She got her period at the normal time and a pregnancy test during what would have been the first 'missed period day' (even though she didn't miss it) confirmed she wasn't pregnant.

She started her pill again two weeks ago today but a few days ago she suffered bleeding whilst taking the pill (don't know if this is breakthrough bleeding or whatever it is, or bleeding from taking the pill again as the MAP might have 'screwed up her system' and it's as if she's started the pill all over again)
    However the past couple of nights we have had sex. I didn't *** inside her either time, the first night I didn't *** at all, last night I used the withdrawal method and think I got out just in time.

She's taken all her pills so there's no issue there, just wanted to know what the chances of pregnancy are? Has anyone been in this situation before? She is due to stop taking the pill this coming Sunday and usually has her bleed on the Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Erm, really low. She's taking the pill every day at the same time right? I'm assuming so since you're both so cautious!

What made her choose to take the morning after pill?

You don't really need to use the withdrawal method on the pill either, but if it make you more comfortable then do what suits you...

ReputationRep:
    The MAP has probably just messed things up a bit, she shouldn't have taken it if she was on the regular pill as well.
    Chances of pregnancy are about zero.

(Original post by ily_em)
    Erm, really low. She's taking the pill every day at the same time right? I'm assuming so since you're both so cautious!

What made her choose to take the morning after pill?

You don't really need to use the withdrawal method on the pill either, but if it make you more comfortable then do what suits you...
    She doesn't take it at EXACTLY the same time every night, but usually no more than an hour or two apart. She's on Loestrin so I believe it's got a 12 hour window anyway?

Well last month she was on antibiotics before she started the pill, and even though we waited a week for the pill to get into her system, I don't think that she wanted to take any chances hence why she took the MAP, but she hasn't missed a normal pill for a couple of months now.

Usually we don't use the withdrawal method, but last night she said she'd prefer it if I did, I think because she was concerned about the bleeding and that she didn't want to have to take the MAP again.

(Original post by Blueflare)
    The MAP has probably just messed things up a bit, she shouldn't have taken it if she was on the regular pill as well.
    Chances of pregnancy are about zero.
    Oh right, I don't think we/she knew that. I think she was just concerned, like I said above, that the Pill wouldn't have worked as well after she had finished taking her antibiotics. She hasn't taken them since, and this month she's taken all of her pills up until now, just the scare with the bleeding the other day but it's since stopped.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't worry, morning after pill messes up they cycle and the fact that she was on the pill aswell has proabably messed things up even more! may take a cycle or so for her periods/bleeding to get back to normal

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Loestrin 30 and, as long as you take at least a week's worth of tablets before you have unprotected sex, then the chances are pretty low. No method's completely 100% and there have been slip-ups with the pill before, but they're incredibly rare. Using two methods is usually the best plan, so whilst the withdrawal technique probably isn't the best, it's better than nothing.

(Original post by emma t)
    i wouldn't worry, morning after pill messes up they cycle and the fact that she was on the pill aswell has proabably messed things up even more! may take a cycle or so for her periods/bleeding to get back to normal
    Yeah she's taken the MAP before, obviously it's worrying if you bleed whilst taking the pill but it may just be the hormones building up again.

(Original post by EmmaJayne.x)
    I'm on Loestrin 30 and, as long as you take at least a week's worth of tablets before you have unprotected sex, then the chances are pretty low. No method's completely 100% and there have been slip-ups with the pill before, but they're incredibly rare. Using two methods is usually the best plan, so whilst the withdrawal technique probably isn't the best, it's better than nothing.
    She's on Loestrin 20 and would have taken about 12 days worth of tablets by then. Yeah I know that, we don't like using condoms so the pill is our main contraceptive and I have been using the withdrawal method as well, at least until the end of her pill cycle and her (expected) period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She's on Loestrin 20 and would have taken about 12 days worth of tablets by then. Yeah I know that, we don't like using condoms so the pill is our main contraceptive and I have been using the withdrawal method as well, at least until the end of her pill cycle and her (expected) period.
    Then you're pretty much fine. If you're concerned, get another pregnancy test.

ReputationRep:
    Breakthrough bleeding is extremely common. Its not advisable to take the MAP because she's worried if she's taken all her pills correctly and has no reason to worry. It can mess with the cycle a bit and cause bleeding.
    She just needs to stop being overanxious and trust the pill. When I first went on it I was ridiculously paranoid and spent so much money on pregnancy tests! Slowly I realised it was working and I wasn't getting pregnant! Been on it over 2 years now and no babies.

(Original post by EmmaJayne.x)
    Then you're pretty much fine. If you're concerned, get another pregnancy test.
    I would assume so, too. She's taken all of her pills and I didn't *** inside her, or anything, got out just in time.

(Original post by Smem)
    Breakthrough bleeding is extremely common. Its not advisable to take the MAP because she's worried if she's taken all her pills correctly and has no reason to worry. It can mess with the cycle a bit and cause bleeding.
    She just needs to stop being overanxious and trust the pill. When I first went on it I was ridiculously paranoid and spent so much money on pregnancy tests! Slowly I realised it was working and I wasn't getting pregnant! Been on it over 2 years now and no babies.
    The only reason she/we have been overanxious is because of the antibiotics that she took a month or so ago so we were worried that the pill hadn't been fully absorbed. But this month she is on course with her pills. It is quite a strong contraceptive though from what I've read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would assume so, too. She's taken all of her pills and I didn't *** inside her, or anything, got out just in time.

The only reason she/we have been overanxious is because of the antibiotics that she took a month or so ago so we were worried that the pill hadn't been fully absorbed. But this month she is on course with her pills. It is quite a strong contraceptive though from what I've read!
    Yeah I understand that. In future the right thing to do is us condoms in addition to the pill rather than taking the MAP as a precautionary measure

(Original post by Smem)
    Yeah I understand that. In future the right thing to do is us condoms in addition to the pill rather than taking the MAP as a precautionary measure
    I know, and I guess it may sound silly and pretentious but we both do not like using condoms as it's not as 'natural' and doesn't feel as good.

But she is due her period by this time next week so hopefully there will be no worrying

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.