Turn on thread page Beta

Am I becoming obsessed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a young male, and I've been working out for 18 months now. For most of this time, I didn't have much clue as to what I was doing; I was just using machines, ignoring compound exercises, no clue as to what diet to follow, etc. I ate a lot and worked out very hard though, so I got rid of a lot of fat and gained some serious muscle. Within a few I was getting comments around school such as "you're hench/stacked" etc., and I realise that I am in much better shape than most people my age.

However, I don't feel content with having a "good body" by everyone else's standards. I took a break from the gym for a while, then this year I started going back. I didn't lose much muscle during my break so I got back into the swing of things pretty quickly. This time, I put a lot of effort into research, and now I avoid using machines, focusing on compound exercises like deadlifts and squats instead. I've adjusted my diet so that I get plenty of protein, good fats and limiting my carb intake, and take whey protein isolate supplements daily. In addition to lifting, I do martial arts twice a week for cardio (for health rather than fat loss).

I think I am becoming obsessed though. I only work out two or three times a week because I have a hectic timetable, but each workout lasts between 1.5-2 hours and targets my whole body, with intensive drop-down sets, correct form, compound exercises and post-workout stretching, things that most gymgoers neglect. I am always trying to streamline my diet the best I can: in the morning I have oatmeal and a protein shake, for lunch I have skimmed milk (for the calcium) and a salmon fillet, in the evening I usually have meat with green vegetables (carbs only on the weekend, e.g. rice), and I limit my intake of sodium and sugar (no candy/cakes/soda/crisps etc.).

Like I already said I am in great shape, but I am still not content. I am always trying to cut my bodyfat down and hold on to as much muscle as possible. I am not doing this to impress anyone, the only person I'm doing this for is myself. However, I think I might be taking it all too far. I can't even remember the last time I had a coca cola (then again, I don't even like it that much). I know that what some call "obsessive" others may call "dedicated", but I'm still concerned that I'm setting myself up for disappointment, that other people will laugh and think that the only reason I'm doing this is for the attention. Should I speak to somebody about this?

tl;dr - I'm cutting carbs out, drinking protein shakes and eating salmon fillets instead of
    sandwiches for lunch. Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    Sick **** brah, keep on it. You'll be an animal in time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, eat some skittles. Have a big English breakfast with a jar of Nutella.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to have that kind of committment! Wouldn't say you were obsessed!

ReputationRep:
    welcome to the world of bodybuilding. you will never think you're big enough

ReputationRep:
    You might very well find that your initial care-free approach is what got you those gains, and as you try to do everything "right" you'll run into a whole lot of problems. It happens all the time, people train and eat according to how they feel, and so make great gains, then they start training and eating according to ridiculous advice from people who know nothing about them, and, what a surprise, everything goes horribly wrong. So they dig deeper and deeper and become more and more obsessed and strict and plan everything even harder, and things get worse and worse.

My advice is to stick with what works, son. If you aim is maximum results then you can certainly be "too dedicated". In this and all other things, there is not a simple positive linear relationship between effort and achievement.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not taking steroids then you're not obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    Bodybuilding is probably a better diversion to murdering prostitutes, Mr Bateman.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had your will power - as long as you're still happy doing it carry on

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do shit you misewell do it right. Although you can be slightly lax with the diet unless you gain fat very easily.

ReputationRep:
    If it's controlling your life and you feel it's interrupting other aspects of your life such as relationships, work, social life, then maybe tone it down a little. Think some more about why you are doing it and you might be able to answer your question. Are you compensating for something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twoforjoy)
    If it's controlling your life and you feel it's interrupting other aspects of your life such as relationships, work, social life, then maybe tone it down a little. Think some more about why you are doing it and you might be able to answer your question. Are you compensating for something else?
    I wouldn't say it's controlling my life. People in the gym get confused when they see me doing squats and deadlifts (since they are newphags who have yet to learn how beneficial these exercises are) and stretching afterwards, and friends/family wonder why I eat so much protein, but I wouldn't say it's impacting on my social or work life much.

I'm doing it because like I said I only feel content with having an outstanding body (I say outstanding as a relative term, because compared to my friends I am in great shape, but in the world of bodybuilding, I'm still nothing!). I don't want to make a career or compete out of this, but I like giving advice and helping people with diet and exercise. I admit that I'm pretty vain, but I also have a poor body image and was slightly overweight as a young child. I'm not a bad or empty person, so this isn't "compensating" for something per se, but yeah, it definitely feels like I want to make up for the past, as well as reap the benefits of having a good body.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.