Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What will show on a CRB check? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I work voluntary in two primary schools and want to be a teacher. I have applied for a CRB check, not sure if it is an enhanced CRB, and just waiting for it to come through.

When I was 12 yrs old I was arrested for shop lifting Feel so embarrassed about it now I really hope it won't show. I was arrested, interviewed and given a criminal record although they decided not to press charges. So I don't know if this classes as just a caution or what ever. They did tell me at the time that the record will be destroyed after so long or when I am 18 (different officers told me different things :confused:)

Anyway, does anyone know if this will show on a CRB check or an enhanced CRB check?

If it does do you think it will affect anything as:
    A) I was only 12 (nearly 10 years ago)
    B) It was a non violent offence
    C) It wasn't a crime that involved a person.

I really hope that it doesn't show as it is just so embarrassing and if it does I really really hope they can over look it as I love teaching.

Oh and when I was a young rebel I got quite a few warnings from the police. By warnings I mean the kind where they just jot your name down, mainly for being somewhere I shouldn't be (we used to sit on the train station in my village when it rained lol). I expect these won't show but does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

It only goes back 5 years. Unless you've raped, molested or murdered someone (or other serious crime).

So you should be ok - Just pay for the sweets next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mintberry_crunch)
    Hello,

It only goes back 5 years. Unless you've raped, molested or murdered someone (or other serious crime).

So you should be ok - Just pay for the sweets next time
    lol cheap wilko jewellery actually hahaha

Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    I have found (as I used to risk assess on enhanced CRB checks) that I was making assessments on offences on peoples records from the 1960's which werent high risk offences either. I doubt this incident will stop you, you may just need to talk it through with a member of senior staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    I work voluntary in two primary schools and want to be a teacher. I have applied for a CRB check, not sure if it is an enhanced CRB, and just waiting for it to come through.

When I was 12 yrs old I was arrested for shop lifting Feel so embarrassed about it now I really hope it won't show. I was arrested, interviewed and given a criminal record although they decided not to press charges. So I don't know if this classes as just a caution or what ever. They did tell me at the time that the record will be destroyed after so long or when I am 18 (different officers told me different things :confused:)

Anyway, does anyone know if this will show on a CRB check or an enhanced CRB check?

If it does do you think it will affect anything as:
    A) I was only 12 (nearly 10 years ago)
    B) It was a non violent offence
    C) It wasn't a crime that involved a person.

I really hope that it doesn't show as it is just so embarrassing and if it does I really really hope they can over look it as I love teaching.

Oh and when I was a young rebel I got quite a few warnings from the police. By warnings I mean the kind where they just jot your name down, mainly for being somewhere I shouldn't be (we used to sit on the train station in my village when it rained lol). I expect these won't show but does anyone know?
    The difference between a standard and enhanced CRB check is that the latter also includes non-conviction records from local police forces so not only will your caution be on there, but your later conduct might be too, depending how serious the issues were and how pedantic your local police force were.

I not sure mintberry_crunch is right; I think the five-year period is about declaring relevant convictions to employers etc. and has nothing to do your actual record; after all, what would be the point of having criminal records if everything was removed after five years? :confused:

Anyway, having said all that, it seems the three big issues that get picked up in relation to children and teaching are: if you are on the sex offenders list; if you have any drug-related offences; and if you have any GBH-related offences. The first is obvious, though not always as bad as it might seem, but the latter two can make things very difficult for you. Even if you get onto a PGCE programme you will find that a lot of schools will not employ you no matter how good you are so you have to weigh up whether it is realistically worth the time and effort pursuing this path. None of the things you mentioned make me think you will have any trouble.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mintberry_crunch)
    It only goes back 5 years.
    Sadly untrue. On an enhanced CRB, this incident (and any others that generated paperwork) are never cancelled and will be disclosed for the rest of the OP's life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by evantej)
    Anyway, having said all that, it seems the three big issues that get picked up in relation to children and teaching are: if you are on the sex offenders list; if you have any drug-related offences; and if you have any GBH-related offences.
    Although I would broadly agree with this, an explanation would be expected for any violent incident (however minor) as well as anything that casts doubt on the potential teacher's honesty or good judgement.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.