Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    by race, they've supposedly been proven to have higher IQs
    That's mainly due to their upbringing if you ask me.
    Surround a kid with academia and he'll do better on IQ tests, and that's what Jews do.

IQ tests are controversial anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    Oh no anti-Semitism is alive and well - and is often confused with anti-Zionism which are totally different things. The Jewish population in this country is really small. In 2003 there were only 300,000 of us in the UK (dunno what it is now but it's probably less). We've always been targeted and you know what we don't retaliate. We're not violent, we're not threatening, we're not 'evil'. I once went to a Chanukah celebration out on the street where lots of Jews went and sang the songs and lit a huge menorah, etc and some jerks drove past, rolled down the windows and yelled offensive slurs at us. We're integrated to an extent that the secular Jews (and this is where it gets odd cos you can be Jewish but Atheist as well - like being Jewish isn't just about religion it's about who you are) get on well in society but as soon as someone is openly Jewish (religiously) people have something to say. My mum doesn't like it when I wear the Star of David out cos she's worried I'll get targeted or something. I wear it to school but people are pretty tolerant at my school. My sister goes to a Jewish school and people sometimes go past the kids there and yell things at them. It's not nice, it's not fair and you're right, people should know better in this day and age. But they don't and it's disgraceful. Makes me sick. We're a generally respectful group of people and yes, we work hard and we're often successful. What's the problem? Would they rather we be violent, lazy and parasitic? Then they'd REALLY have something to complain about.
    You see the problem is that every religion has extremists. Muslims are generally the most targetted as a small minority of extremist dweebs give a bad name to the whole religion. This doesn't help when the media constantly portrays negative depictions of Muslims. Now the reason why Jews are targeted is because of mass online viral conspiracies about them on how they want to rule the world and all that. I mean sure, I don't deny the fact there are a few individuals who use religion has a shield to protect themselves, but because of this people are too dumb because they then think all Jews, or Muslims are evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    Michael Jackson. A new Fulham legend. COYW!
    at the command of Mohammed al Fayed - no stranger to the occasional bonkers conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    That's mainly due to their upbringing if you ask me.
    Surround a kid with academia and he'll do better on IQ tests, and that's what Jews do.

IQ tests are controversial anyhow.
    very valid points, I only said what I said to fuel the discussion. what would your explanation be for why Jews control such an overproportionate amount of the world?

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of Illuminatis, this Beyonce video freaks me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgwSj...eature=related

LOL, I don't really believe it, but the music in the background makes it so scary :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    No-one to my knowledge has ever said that "all Jews" are part of some great world conspiracy. At the end of the day they are just human like you and me. But some people in this world do not think like that, and they act accordingly. Both Gentile and non-Gentiles have their faults.
    Humans are not divided into Gentile and non Gentile, they are humans!

ReputationRep:
    very valid points, I only said what I said to fuel the discussion. what would your explanation be for why Jews control such an overproportionate amount of the world?
    They have a very strict work ethic, maybe the strictest in the world.
    Like a lot of religious groups, they force their children to succeed.
    Jews value success, non-jews value fun and a good quality of life, which is why Jews often do better.

When others value success highly they also do well, such as many Chinese families, you'll see that they usually yield the same results, therefore Jews aren't really more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Well they say how people in the music industry are built up into superstars and then brought crashing down in a media frenzy, if the people he blames for that are Jewish, which let's face it, a lot of people making the big money tend to be, then it's not surprising that he perceives it as a conspiracy against him.

ReputationRep:
    Jews value success, non-jews value fun and a good quality of life, which is why Jews often do better.

When others value success highly they also do well, such as many Chinese families, you'll see that they usually yield the same results, therefore Jews aren't really more intelligent.
    Yes they are. They're easily the smartest ethnic group in the world. True they work hard, but they are far from unique in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Yes they are. They're easily the smartest ethnic group in the world. True they work hard, but they are far from unique in that respect.
    Read above, derp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Humans are not divided into Gentile and non Gentile, they are humans!
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    They are communal Jews. What Michael is referring to, and what this "conspiracy" is referring to is the suit-and-tie wearing westernised Jews. The Jews who run the banks in America and who finance revolutions and other projects around the world. Who run the Israeli Lobby who attempt to control foreign policy. There's a cultural distinction there which goes-on being ignored, so that anyone who criticizes these westernized Jews is criticizing all Jews.
    That's still an unfair generalisation. What does it matter that they are Jews, westernised or not? It's still an unfair prejudice and ultimately leads to full-blown anti-Semitism. By your logic I could argue that white, Protestant men are attempting to control the world too. They sure are prominent in the workplace and in politics aren't they? Or what about the Asians? Taking all the places in the medical profession. While it is true that there ARE a lot of white men in politics and there ARE a lot of Asians in medicine, I fail to understand the problem. If they are sufficiently qualified to be in those positions then they have earned the right to hold them.

The same applies to the Jews. If they have worked hard to earn their money, capitalism gives them the right to own that money. If they have worked hard to create their own business why should someone question that?

It has been said that the history of almost all of the Jewish holidays can be summed up succinctly: "They wanted to kill us; we won. Let's eat." Why has anti-Semitism been so pervasive in so many countries, in so many time periods and for so many reasons? (One begins to wonder. Perhaps there is something wrong with the Jews and Judaism? After all, there is an old Yiddish saying -- "If one person calls you a donkey, ignore him; if two people call you a donkey, buy a saddle.")

Between the years 250 CE and 1948 CE - a period of 1,700 years - Jews have experienced more than eighty expulsions from various countries in Europe - an average of nearly one expulsion every twenty-one years. Jews were expelled from England, France, Austria, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Bohemia, Moravia and seventy-one other countries.

Historians have classified six explanations as to why people hate the Jews:

Economic -- "We hate Jews because they possess too much wealth and power."
    Chosen People -- "We hate Jews because they arrogantly claim that they are the chosen people."
    Scapegoat -- "Jews are a convenient group to single out and blame for our troubles."
    Deicide -- "We hate Jews because they killed Jesus."
    Outsiders, -- "We hate Jews because they are different than us." (The dislike of the unlike.)
    Racial Theory -- "We hate Jews because they are an inferior race."

As we examine the explanations, we must ask -- Are they the causes for anti-Semitism or excuses for Anti-Semitism? The difference? If one takes away the cause, then anti-Semitism should no longer exist. If one can show a contradiction to the explanation, it demonstrates that the "cause" is not a reason, it is just an excuse. Let's look at some contradictions:

Economic -- The Jews of 17th- 20th century Poland and Russia were dirt poor, had no influence and yet they were hated.

Chosen People -- a) In the late 19th century, the Jews of Germany denied "Choseness." And then they worked on assimilation. Yet, the holocaust started there. b) Christians and Moslems profess to being the "Chosen people," yet, the world and the anti-Semites tolerate them.

Scapegoat -- Any group must already be hated to be an effective scapegoat. The Scapegoat Theory does not then cause anti-Semitism. Rather, anti-Semitism is what makes the Jews a convenient scapegoat target. Hitler's ranting and ravings would not be taken seriously if he said, "It's the bicycle riders and the midgets who are destroying our society."

Deicide -- a) the Christian Bible says the Romans killed Jesus, though Jews are mentioned as accomplices (claims that Jews killed Jesus came several hundred years later). How come the accomplices are persecuted and there isn't an anti-Roman movement through history? b) Jesus himself said, "Forgive them [i.e., the Jews], for they know not what they do." The Second Vatican Council in 1963 officially exonerated the Jews as the killers of Jesus. Neither statement of Christian belief lessened anti-Semitism.

Outsiders -- With the Enlightenment in the late 18th century, many Jews rushed to assimilate. Anti-Semitism should have stopped. Instead, for example, with the Nazis came the cry, in essence: "We hate you, not because you're different, but because you're trying to become like us! We cannot allow you to infect the Aryan race with your inferior genes."

Racial Theory -- The overriding problem with this theory is that it is self-contradictory: Jews are not a race. Anyone can become a Jew - and members of every race, creed and color in the world have done so at one time or another.

Every other hated group is hated for a relatively defined reason. We Jews, however, are hated in paradoxes: Jews are hated for being a lazy and inferior race - but also for dominating the economy and taking over the world. We are hated for stubbornly maintaining our separateness - and, when we do assimilate - for posing a threat to racial purity through intermarriages. We are seen as pacifists and as warmongers; as capitalist exploiters and as revolutionary communists; possessed of a Chosen-People mentality, as well as of an inferiority complex. It seems that we just can't win.

ReputationRep:
    That's still an unfair generalisation. What does it matter that they are Jews, westernised or not? It's still an unfair prejudice and ultimately leads to full-blown anti-Semitism. By your logic I could argue that white, Protestant men are attempting to control the world too. They sure are prominent in the workplace and in politics aren't they? Or what about the Asians? Taking all the places in the medical profession. While it is true that there ARE a lot of white men in politics and there ARE a lot of Asians in medicine, I fail to understand the problem. If they are sufficiently qualified to be in those positions then they have earned the right to hold them.

The same applies to the Jews. If they have worked hard to earn their money, capitalism gives them the right to own that money. If they have worked hard to create their own business why should someone question that?
    Totally agree. So there's lots of Asians in medicine? It's a conspiracy by Asians to take over the whole healthcare industry!

Or the rich and powerful Chinese, Arabs, Indians around the world?

Why is it a "Jewish conspiracy"?

If someone is very wealthy, then of course they will have a lot of power and influence. Isn't that just how the world works?

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree. So there's lots of Asians in medicine? It's a conspiracy by Asians to take over the whole healthcare industry!

Or the rich and powerful Chinese, Arabs, Indians around the world?

Why is it a "Jewish conspiracy"?

If someone is very wealthy, then of course they will have a lot of power and influence. Isn't that just how the world works?
    Historically Jews have always been targetted. It seems that in every age there is persecution against us. You'd think that in this day and age people would be just a TAD more tolerant, no?

ReputationRep:
    Historically Jews have always been targetted. It seems that in every age there is persecution against us. You'd think that in this day and age people would be just a TAD more tolerant, no?
    Yeah, since this thread I've been reading about the history of the persecution of Jews. I knew it was bad, but it was even worse than I thought - persecution repeated times throughout the ages from various other religions and nationalities.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, since this thread I've been reading about the history of the persecution of Jews. I knew it was bad, but it was even worse than I thought - persecution repeated times throughout the ages from various other religions and nationalities.
    Global Anti-Semitism:
    Selected Incidents Around the World in 2011

Belgium

February 22, 2011 – Antwerp – A Jewish man riding a bicycle was punched in the face. When he asked the attacker why he hit him, the assailant said, “Because you’re a Jew.”

March 1, 2011 – Antwerp – When three Orthodox Jews entered a café, the barman shouted at them, “No Jews.” When they insisted that he repeat his comment, he said the café was closed, despite numerous clients being served.

Canada

January 15, 2011 - Montreal – Vandals hurled rocks through the windows of five synagogues and a Jewish day school

Germany

March 30, 2011 – Aachen – A swastika was spray-painted on the synagogue.

January 24, 2011 – Goshen – A country house owned by an identifiably Jewish man was the target of an arson attack. A Star of David had been painted on the wall, together with the word “Out,” and police found evidence of arson.

Greece

February 8 – Athens - Mikis Theodorakis, the composer of “Zorba the Greek," said in a television interview that he is an "anti-Semite and anti-Zionist."

Hungary

January 23, 2011 – Marcali – Three teenagers toppled 75 tombstones in a Jewish cemetery and admitted to police that they were “showing off” for one another. Prime Minister Orban’s spokesman condemned the incident, saying, “vandalism triggered by anti-Semitism" is "offensive to the Hungarian Jewish community and to all Hungarians." He added that "the government condemns vandalism and will punish such acts."

Netherlands

February 10 – Amsterdam – During an interfaith walk by two rabbis, two Muslim scholars, a bishop and a pastor in an area where several anti-Semitic incidents have occurred, a young man made a Hitler salute and yelled, “Cancerous Jews.”

Russia

January 31, 2011 - St. Petersburg – Swastikas, anti-Semitic slogans, and threats were spray-painted on the gate and wall of the Jewish community center. The logo of a neo-Nazi group, NSWP, was also drawn.

Serbia

February 28 – Belgrade - On a popular reality TV show, Serbian pop star Maja Nikolic said, “I don’t like Jews.” The Minister of Justice denounced the hate speech and the Public Prosecutor has opened an investigation.

Switzerland

February 23, 2011 - Lausanne – Upon leaving a synagogue, a rabbi’s assistant was attacked by three individuals. The assailants asked if he was Jewish. When he responded positively, the three shouted anti-Semitic epithets, beat him with their fists and kicked him. Passers by intervened and called the police, who managed to arrest two of the assailants.

UK

January 29, 2011 – Manchester - The head of the National Union of Students had to be led to safety by police from a tuition fees rally he had been due to address after being surrounded by protesters chanting anti-Semitic insults at him.
    Like I said, anti-Semitism is alive and well. There's a swastika drawn on the bus stop near my school and a swastika drawn on a seat of a bus I sometimes get.

ReputationRep:

Have you been around some jews for a sustained period of time? They are all very clever, and very slyly manipulative.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been around some jews for a sustained period of time? They are all very clever, and very slyly manipulative.
    Excuse me? What an utterly stereotypical, prejudiced comment! I am Jewish and find that extremely offensive. Manipulative? All Jews? REALLY.

It's like saying all black people are ghetto. Or that all Chinese parents are harsh and controlling. It's not fair to generalise.

Are you telling me that you know each and every Jewish person personally and can therefore make such a judgement safe in the knowledge that there are no exceptions or are you making a crude generalisation on the basis of stereotypes and limited personal experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I was never aware of Michael Jackson's credentials as a sociologist or cultural anthropologist...here I was thinking he was a pop star...so methinks he should stick to moonwalking rather than making retarded social observations.
    That's right, because pop stars can't make valid societal observations.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have actually, they weren't clever or manipulative, actually quite average....

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.