Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's your TBM (tactical buffet manoeuvre)? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So everyone knows that when you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, you have to get your money's worth. That means eating at least three times the amount you'd eat at a normal restaurant.

What's your tactical buffet manoeuvre for eating as much as you can?

Personally, I start off with the more expensive options (crispy duck pancakes, for example). Then move onto something mid-range - meaty and saucy, maybe with a little bit of starch but not too much. Third plate is usually salad and vegetables to cleanse the palate, then fourth is when I move on to the starchy stuff. No fizzy drinks - the bubbles make you feel bloated and decrease the room available for food!

ReputationRep:
    You fat cow! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Lots of smaller servings works better than piling all at once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Hardly - as siwelmail just said, it's lost of small portions. I probably don't end up eating any more than I would at a normal restaurant, it's just split over 4 plates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Hardly - as siwelmail just said, it's lost of small portions. I probably don't end up eating any more than I would at a normal restaurant, it's just split over 4 plates.
    then why not just eat at a normal restaurant in that case? i smell porkies :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    then why not just eat at a normal restaurant in that case? i smell porkies :holmes:
    Because at a buffet you get to try a little bit of everything - I hate committing myself to one meal!

ReputationRep:
    I tend to avoid buffets because I go all mental and greedy.

Pizza Hut buffet- I choose thin crust (less filling) meaty pizzas, the vege ones can GTFO. I need my meat's worth here.

Chinese buffet-Again I go nuts for the delicious meat. The spring rolls can GTFO I can get those at home.

Also I honestly can't eat more than 2 plates. So I'll enjoy the first and get some healthy stuff on the second. I don't drink much when eating but water if the food is salty.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love Oriental buffets. I love rice/Singapore noodles, but understand that's how they fill you up. So I always get just a *liiiittle* rice/carb and make sure to take a bit of everything meaty so I don't feel gutted I'm full before trying the stuff I really wanted.

You always end up with like ten plates of the super-bad-for-you starters though, prawn toasts, chicken balls, volcano mushrooms and wontons are too good to pass up on! But yeah, if I go, my trick is to exercise carb-restraint so I feel totally satisfied at trying all my desired dishes.

Oh, also, my mate swears by "No crusts" at the Pizza Hut buffet - he eats the crusts otherwise, if he's bought just a regular pizza, but with the prospect of infinite pizza, he always wastes the crusts in favour of the more desirable "middle bits".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I absolutely love Oriental buffets. I love rice/Singapore noodles, but understand that's how they fill you up. So I always get just a *liiiittle* rice/carb and make sure to take a bit of everything meaty so I don't feel gutted I'm full before trying the stuff I really wanted.
    I'm going to one on Wednesday, except it's little bits of lots of different Asian foods. Feels a bit odd to have sweet and sour pork with noodles on the same plate as jalfrezi and Bombay potato, but it works SO WELL.

Also I can definitely understand the logic behind no crusts!

ReputationRep:
    I need to be taught some serious buffet skills, I'm lacking, in a very big way. I seem to have chronic "eyes-too-big-for-my-belly disorder" which causes me on the first go to pile my plate as high as I can with all the things that grab my attention the most, regardless of the fact that these things are usually those that leave me full straight away so I struggle to go on. For example, at a chinese buffet, you'll find me belly-bent over the tray of sweet and sour chicken balls, stuffing them in until I hear myself start to cluck. With all the MSG I cannot have another bite for the rest of the meal....but an hour and a half later and BAM, I'm hungry again, someone take me to Station Chow Mein or beef in blackbean!! Pity we've already left the restaurant...

ReputationRep:
    It's all you can eat, you've gotta get your money's worth

ReputationRep:
    I panic, pile everything on to my plate and never finish it.

Still love Chinese buffets though, there's one near me and for £10 you get a pint of San Miguel and a three course 'all-you-can-eat' buffet. I love it.

ReputationRep:
    I basically stick to meat. Eating noodles and rice just fills up a hole you could be filling with mongolian lamb.

So at the old Big Wok in Nottingham, I used to get a plate of starters with a little hot and sour soup, a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and mongolian lamb pancakes, some tepenyaki, then onto the main courses: hong kong pork and a range of different meat options, easy on the carbs. Cheesecake for dessert. All washed down with a pint of lager, of course.

ReputationRep:
    py0alb has the same strategy as me, which means it's the correct one

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I have a tiny pathetic appetite

So I basically load my first plate with eeny-weeny samples of everything available, then I know what to go back and get on my second and sadly final plate.

And then I go home and feel hungry again and wish I'd taken a load of stuff home with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Oh, also, my mate swears by "No crusts" at the Pizza Hut buffet - he eats the crusts otherwise, if he's bought just a regular pizza, but with the prospect of infinite pizza, he always wastes the crusts in favour of the more desirable "middle bits".
    I thought I was the only one who had this genius idea!
    Even eating Dominos or other non-buffet pizzas I do this. Why fill up on bread when you can fill up on delicious cheese and meat?
    Also the last few bits I just scrape the topping off and leave the base. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    A small serving of "dry" foods i.e. anything without sauce, then a serving of "wet" foods because they go down better. then a small serving of my favourites of the night :mmm: then ice cream and jelly beans :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I basically stick to meat. Eating noodles and rice just fills up a hole you could be filling with mongolian lamb.

So at the old Big Wok in Nottingham, I used to get a plate of starters with a little hot and sour soup, a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and mongolian lamb pancakes, some tepenyaki, then onto the main courses: hong kong pork and a range of different meat options, easy on the carbs. Cheesecake for dessert. All washed down with a pint of lager, of course.
    They have hot and sour soup? :eek:

Although I don't go for soup normally, doesn't make you as full but fills your stomach with liquid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    They have hot and sour soup? :eek:

Although I don't go for soup normally, doesn't make you as full but fills your stomach with liquid.
    They used to, it was really excellent. I only had a small portion though, for the reason you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    They used to, it was really excellent. I only had a small portion though, for the reason you suggest.
    You have no idea how much I love that soup. Sometimes when I get a takeaway I only have the soup

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.