Turn on thread page Beta

What's your TBM (tactical buffet manoeuvre)? watch

ReputationRep:
    So everyone knows that when you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, you have to get your money's worth. That means eating at least three times the amount you'd eat at a normal restaurant.

What's your tactical buffet manoeuvre for eating as much as you can?

Personally, I start off with the more expensive options (crispy duck pancakes, for example). Then move onto something mid-range - meaty and saucy, maybe with a little bit of starch but not too much. Third plate is usually salad and vegetables to cleanse the palate, then fourth is when I move on to the starchy stuff. No fizzy drinks - the bubbles make you feel bloated and decrease the room available for food!

ReputationRep:
    You fat cow! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Lots of smaller servings works better than piling all at once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    Hardly - as siwelmail just said, it's lost of small portions. I probably don't end up eating any more than I would at a normal restaurant, it's just split over 4 plates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Hardly - as siwelmail just said, it's lost of small portions. I probably don't end up eating any more than I would at a normal restaurant, it's just split over 4 plates.
    then why not just eat at a normal restaurant in that case? i smell porkies :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    then why not just eat at a normal restaurant in that case? i smell porkies :holmes:
    Because at a buffet you get to try a little bit of everything - I hate committing myself to one meal!

ReputationRep:
    I tend to avoid buffets because I go all mental and greedy.

Pizza Hut buffet- I choose thin crust (less filling) meaty pizzas, the vege ones can GTFO. I need my meat's worth here.

Chinese buffet-Again I go nuts for the delicious meat. The spring rolls can GTFO I can get those at home.

Also I honestly can't eat more than 2 plates. So I'll enjoy the first and get some healthy stuff on the second. I don't drink much when eating but water if the food is salty.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love Oriental buffets. I love rice/Singapore noodles, but understand that's how they fill you up. So I always get just a *liiiittle* rice/carb and make sure to take a bit of everything meaty so I don't feel gutted I'm full before trying the stuff I really wanted.

You always end up with like ten plates of the super-bad-for-you starters though, prawn toasts, chicken balls, volcano mushrooms and wontons are too good to pass up on! But yeah, if I go, my trick is to exercise carb-restraint so I feel totally satisfied at trying all my desired dishes.

Oh, also, my mate swears by "No crusts" at the Pizza Hut buffet - he eats the crusts otherwise, if he's bought just a regular pizza, but with the prospect of infinite pizza, he always wastes the crusts in favour of the more desirable "middle bits".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I absolutely love Oriental buffets. I love rice/Singapore noodles, but understand that's how they fill you up. So I always get just a *liiiittle* rice/carb and make sure to take a bit of everything meaty so I don't feel gutted I'm full before trying the stuff I really wanted.
    I'm going to one on Wednesday, except it's little bits of lots of different Asian foods. Feels a bit odd to have sweet and sour pork with noodles on the same plate as jalfrezi and Bombay potato, but it works SO WELL.

Also I can definitely understand the logic behind no crusts!

ReputationRep:
    I need to be taught some serious buffet skills, I'm lacking, in a very big way. I seem to have chronic "eyes-too-big-for-my-belly disorder" which causes me on the first go to pile my plate as high as I can with all the things that grab my attention the most, regardless of the fact that these things are usually those that leave me full straight away so I struggle to go on. For example, at a chinese buffet, you'll find me belly-bent over the tray of sweet and sour chicken balls, stuffing them in until I hear myself start to cluck. With all the MSG I cannot have another bite for the rest of the meal....but an hour and a half later and BAM, I'm hungry again, someone take me to Station Chow Mein or beef in blackbean!! Pity we've already left the restaurant...

ReputationRep:
    It's all you can eat, you've gotta get your money's worth

ReputationRep:
    I panic, pile everything on to my plate and never finish it.

Still love Chinese buffets though, there's one near me and for £10 you get a pint of San Miguel and a three course 'all-you-can-eat' buffet. I love it.

ReputationRep:
    I basically stick to meat. Eating noodles and rice just fills up a hole you could be filling with mongolian lamb.

So at the old Big Wok in Nottingham, I used to get a plate of starters with a little hot and sour soup, a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and mongolian lamb pancakes, some tepenyaki, then onto the main courses: hong kong pork and a range of different meat options, easy on the carbs. Cheesecake for dessert. All washed down with a pint of lager, of course.

ReputationRep:
    py0alb has the same strategy as me, which means it's the correct one

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I have a tiny pathetic appetite

So I basically load my first plate with eeny-weeny samples of everything available, then I know what to go back and get on my second and sadly final plate.

And then I go home and feel hungry again and wish I'd taken a load of stuff home with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Oh, also, my mate swears by "No crusts" at the Pizza Hut buffet - he eats the crusts otherwise, if he's bought just a regular pizza, but with the prospect of infinite pizza, he always wastes the crusts in favour of the more desirable "middle bits".
    I thought I was the only one who had this genius idea!
    Even eating Dominos or other non-buffet pizzas I do this. Why fill up on bread when you can fill up on delicious cheese and meat?
    Also the last few bits I just scrape the topping off and leave the base. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    A small serving of "dry" foods i.e. anything without sauce, then a serving of "wet" foods because they go down better. then a small serving of my favourites of the night :mmm: then ice cream and jelly beans :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I basically stick to meat. Eating noodles and rice just fills up a hole you could be filling with mongolian lamb.

So at the old Big Wok in Nottingham, I used to get a plate of starters with a little hot and sour soup, a plate of sushi, a plate of crispy duck and mongolian lamb pancakes, some tepenyaki, then onto the main courses: hong kong pork and a range of different meat options, easy on the carbs. Cheesecake for dessert. All washed down with a pint of lager, of course.
    They have hot and sour soup? :eek:

Although I don't go for soup normally, doesn't make you as full but fills your stomach with liquid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    They have hot and sour soup? :eek:

Although I don't go for soup normally, doesn't make you as full but fills your stomach with liquid.
    They used to, it was really excellent. I only had a small portion though, for the reason you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    They used to, it was really excellent. I only had a small portion though, for the reason you suggest.
    You have no idea how much I love that soup. Sometimes when I get a takeaway I only have the soup

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.