Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks! I think...
way2go
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
You bet. I had been staring for 20 minutes to this stupid question, but still hadn't found the answer. As I am an engineer I was thinking more about the physical aspects of time. That makes you a linguistic, right?
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah (well, a lawyer), also dyslexic which really helps with that kind of thing (but just try asking me to spell!)
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A king lives in a castle at the top of a hill. One day he calls in his wise man (you should bear in mind that he is a wise man.)

The king says - I have 3 daughters, how old are they?

Wise man - Sire, I need more information.

King - If you multiply their ages together the answer is 36.

Wise man - I need more information.

King - If you add their ages together the answer comes to the number of the house opposite.

The wise man looks out of the windown, pauses and then replies - I need more information.

King - My eldest daughter is blonde.

Wise man replies - Sire, I have the answer.

How old are they?
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
A king lives in a castle at the top of a hill. One day he calls in his wise man (you should bear in mind that he is a wise man.)

The king says - I have 3 daughters, how old are they?

Wise man - Sire, I need more information.

King - If you multiply their ages together the answer is 36.

Wise man - I need more information.

King - If you add their ages together the answer comes to the number of the house opposite.

The wise man looks out of the windown, pauses and then replies - I need more information.

King - My eldest daughter is blonde.

Wise man replies - Sire, I have the answer.

How old are they?
6, 3 and 2?
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
6, 3 and 2?
Sounds too simple so I'm probably wrong, lol.
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is it 2, 2 and 9?
Tifa
Report 16 years ago
9, 2, 2

?

multiple of 36, factorisation that has the sum of another, adds up to 13, there *is* an older daughter...

And Powerball, your answer to the cube question is correct

EDIT: lol, Kaiser, ur too quick *angry* lol
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Sounds too simple so I'm probably wrong, lol.
Maybe not! But can you explain why these ages were arrived at? And how do they fit the requirements of adding up to the number of the house opposite?
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Maybe not! But can you explain why these ages were arrived at? And how do they fit the requirements of adding up to the number of the house opposite?
I'm guessing it's because the castle is number 1, obviously, so the opposite castle is number 2. However, that doesn't match my figures, so it must be written in Roman numerals.
I.E the kings castle = I
opposite house ( which is really 2) = II (which looks like 11?)

Well, there's my guess.
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tifa)
9, 2, 2

?

multiple of 36, one number is doubled, there *is* an older daughter...

And Powerball, your answer to the cube question is correct

EDIT: lol, Kaiser, ur too quick *angry* lol
Lol, sorry! yeah your're right though, each clue needs to eliminate something so he 'needs more information', the house number question means there must be two multiples that add up to the same (9,2,2 and 6,6,1) but only 2,2,9 works as the fact there needs to be an oldest daughter eliminates the other option
Tifa
Report 16 years ago
I thought that the 2nd clue basically told you that the number of the house oppositie, was not enough information to tell you the answer, hence it had to have a sum that was the same as another factorisation of the number 36

EDIT: lol - and too quick AGAIN - you're a sneaky one
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by KaiserSoze)
Lol, sorry! yeah your're right though, each clue needs to eliminate something so he 'needs more information', the house number question means there must be two multiples that add up to the same (9,2,2 and 6,6,1) but only 2,2,9 works as the fact there needs to be an oldest daughter eliminates the other option
So what is the number of the opposite house then?
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tifa)
I thought that the 2nd clue basically told you that the number of the house oppositie, was not enough information to tell you the answer, hence it had to have a sum that was the same as another factorisation of the number 36

EDIT: lol - and too quick AGAIN - you're a sneaky one
lol, psychic powers above par this morning

Heres a tricky one that people might have heard before: three friends that was staying in a hotel got to check out, and pay 30 pounds. However, the receptionist then finds that a mistake has been made, as the room only cost 25 pounds. She can't work out how much each is owed of the 5 pound differance, and so gives them one pound back each and keeps the other 2 for herself. But this only makes 29 pounds in total that have been accounted for, 9 for each friend and 2 for the receptionist, where has the other pound gone?
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
So what is the number of the opposite house then?
I guess it would be 13, but thats not important to the question the important thing is that theres two possible combinations to reach that number so another question is needed.

I was fooled by the castle bit as well (was wondering if there was another hill nearby or something ) particualrly after the previous question, but this one is straight maths/logic)
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by KaiserSoze)
I guess it would be 13, but thats not important to the question the important thing is that theres two possible combinations to reach that number so another question is needed.

I was fooled by the castle bit as well (was wondering if there was another hill nearby or something ) particualrly after the previous question, but this one is straight maths/logic)
but is 6, 3 and 2 not a combination as well?
Tifa
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
but is 6, 3 and 2 not a combination as well?
no, because that would mean the house opposite was number 11, therefore, the wise man wouldn't need any more information to know the ages of the three duaghtyers, only because the sum - 13 has two solutions means that he needs one more clue - that there is an eldest daughter.

Kaiser

the final statement is a trick really? the £9 each friend is paid INCLUDES the 2 pounds the receptionist made. the remaining pound out of ten was returned to each. (Hotel's 25 plus receptionists 2 plus each friends 1 equals 30. )
In the end they paid £27, £25 to the hotel and £2 to the receptionist, the other £3 are in their pockets, 27+3 = 30. The final line of the puzzle is a misdirection.
KaiserSoze
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tifa)
the final statement is a trick really? the £9 each friend is paid INCLUDES the 2 dollars the receptionist made. the remaining pound out of ten was returned to each. (Hotel's 25 plus receptionists 2 plus each friends 1 equals 30. )
In the end they paid £27, £25 to the hotel and £2 to the receptionist, the other £3 are in their pockets, 27+3 = 30. The final line of the puzzle is a misdirection.
Yeah well done! Took a very long time for me/other people to figure that out....
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
2/3 RR, 1/3 RW
what's your reasoning there?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (242)
61.89%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.6%
No- I want it (105)
26.85%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.65%

Watched Threads