Turn on thread page Beta

England has to pay £7.40 prescription charges, rest of UK don't. WHY? watch

ReputationRep:
    It is simply pathetic and unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, it's awesome for us in Wales and Scotland.

HOWEVER

it means there are so many more people demanding prescriptions for silly things like coughs, colds and flu, and it's costing millions. Yes, Some people should get free prescriptions, but certainly not all.

ReputationRep:
    Life is unfair, Scotland and Wales would struggle without financial support from England yet a lot of things there are cheaper (Uni, taxes...)

ReputationRep:
    God damn i have no idea how anyone can afford to pay that.. utterly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Because England is a pain in the arse.

EDIT: I honestly dread falling ill when I'm skint.

ReputationRep:
    Because they suffer from the crippling ailments that are being Scottish/Welsh/Irish.

ReputationRep:
    Because Cameron is a ****.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem rather odd, I just think Wales and Scotland choose to spend money in different areas.
    However, free prescriptions in Wales is complete win for me as I have enough of the things, I'd be stone broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilshere)
    It is simply pathetic and unfair.
    Move to Scotland if it bothers you..

ReputationRep:
    What is the reasoning behind that? Just because you have to suffer where you live then everywhere else around you should suffer also?

Different governments make different proposals, there is nothing wrong with the Welsh and Scottish government making their own proposals which they believe would benefit their own people more....

Just don't envy our Welsh Assembly young man.

ReputationRep:
    It is an absolute joke and something that seriously needs changing.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question but is a prescription for one drug at a time? Like if you were prescribed 3 different drugs would you just pay the £7.40 once?

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit of a joke. Its the hypocrisy of Scotland and Wales to remain partially independent and then implement a system they could not sustain alone.

ReputationRep:
    They should be twice that, with exemptions for people who qualify for financial support/certain age categories.

If you don't want to pay at least a couple of hours' wages for a prescription, you should consider whether your condition is serious enough to be worth spending a GP's time on at all. After all, the £7.40 cost of a prescription is nothing compared to the bill the taxpayer had to foot to provide you with the time spent with a doctor to get it in the first place.

£7.40 is the cost of, what, a cinema ticket? A couple of pints? A single train fare? Chronic sufferers aside, if you think £7.40 is poor value for money for whatever medication it is that you want, you certainly shouldn't expect the taxpayer to provide twice that and more in GP's wages for the time you spent there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    This may be a stupid question but is a prescription for one drug at a time? Like if you were prescribed 3 different drugs would you just pay the £7.40 once?
    £7.40 per green piece of paper that you hand in, afaik.

ReputationRep:
    Because the rich have to pay for the poor. Yes, I also wish it were different.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd add £7.40 is absolutely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Its a bit of a joke. Its the hypocrisy of Scotland and Wales to remain partially independent and then implement a system they could not sustain alone.
    I see no hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    yes its not fair, they should be free for everyone.
    stupid drug addicts and stuff are using up all the supplies its not fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    £7.40 per drug dispensed green piece of paper that you hand in, afaik.
    Corrected. You can have several drugs on one prescription form.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.