Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England has to pay £7.40 prescription charges, rest of UK don't. WHY? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with parts of the UK having different rules to others especially how scottish and welsh MPs vote on English issues but not the other way round.

Also what does devolution mean? people keep saying it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Its a bit of a joke. Its the hypocrisy of Scotland and Wales to remain partially independent and then implement a system they could not sustain alone.
    Have you forgotten Scotland contributes more money to the Union than it gets back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    I bet most of the people complaining would think nothing of spending £20+ to get drunk on a single night out.

£7.40 is nothing, and people who are genuinely impoverished don't have to pay.
    aye. Kinda ironic that many people are totally fine to pay a hell of a lot of money to poison their own liver...but then get pissy when they have to pay a fraction of that to actually cure themselves of disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dentistry1)
    Have you forgotten Scotland contributes more money to the Union than it gets back?
    There are other things that Scotland benefits from that it does not have to fund directly, defence for example. Thats a large expenditure that Scotland does not have account for. If Scotland is not directly responsible for the funding of everything it benefits from it makes sense it contributes more financially.

ReputationRep:
    I have a HC2 certificate which entitles me to free prescriptions.

Have these been made useless or are they still valid?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The devolved assemblies are not spending any more money than they would if people paid for prescriptions. The budget is still the same. They just cut back in other areas.
    For example, prescriptions in Northern Ireland are free but there has been major cutbacks in other areas. The health minister recently announced that the plans to build another radiotherapy unit in Londonderry had been postponed. Northern Ireland is a small place but in my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous that there is only one radiotherapy unit in the whole province. It's a 2 hour drive each way for some people to receive treatment in Northern Ireland. Having cancer is stressful and upsetting enough without having to make such a long journey so often. The new centre needs to be opened in Londonderry. To me that is far more important than 10% of the population paying £7.40 for the odd prescriptions.
    I do think all long term conditions should get exemptions. but for everyone else who just needs the odd prescription for antibiotics or whatever.
    Also to everyone else in this thread, Northern Ireland is also a part of the UK. It's not just England, Scotland and Wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlietheunicorn)
    I haven't done the research into it but is it really that high!?
    Yep. First figures I came across, admittedly from 2006, were 88% - http://www.ic.nhs.uk/statistics-and-...dispensed-2005 - they're consistently around that level.

If I recall, about 60% of free prescriptions are given to over 60s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    There are other things that Scotland benefits from that it does not have to fund directly, defence for example. Thats a large expenditure that Scotland does not have account for. If Scotland is not directly responsible for the funding of everything it benefits from it makes sense it contributes more financially.
    You can account for it, by a per capita breakdown of national costs. Figures like the Government Revenue and Expenditure in Scotland accounts do that. Realistically, all of these figures are pretty skewed - for example, there are companies which operate in Scotland, yet are headquartered in London, thus are taxed at that address entirely. So, when all's said and done, they tend to reflect the prejudices of the people making them rather than any sort of objective analysis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Life is unfair, Scotland and Wales would struggle without financial support from England yet a lot of things there are cheaper (Uni, taxes...)
    England would struggle more without North Sea oil/gas...

ReputationRep:
    We're paying for everyone elses' free prescriptions. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Because they choose to spend their budget on offering free prescriptions?

ReputationRep:
    I bet most of the people complaining would think nothing of spending £20+ to get drunk on a single night out.

This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    England would struggle more without North Sea oil/gas...
    True, but I also think you'll find one of the pipelines takes an abrupt 90 degree turn, it then hits land conveniently on English soil, but only just.

Regardless, I like Scotland, I just get annoyed when my Scottish grandmother goes on about her other relatives who have all gone to uni too but go in Edinburgh, live at home and pay no fees. It's a bit easier for them...

Scotland and Wales suffer in other areas though so I don't really care all that much.

I take 3 types of drugs for my mental health issues. That means £22.20 everytime I need a new load. It's not like I can take them or leave them, I need them to live a normal life.
    I've applied for government help but due to my parent's income I get nothing, eventhough I'm away from home at university!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I take 3 types of drugs for my mental health issues. That means £22.20 everytime I need a new load. It's not like I can take them or leave them, I need them to live a normal life.
    I've applied for government help but due to my parent's income I get nothing, eventhough I'm away from home at university!
    You could still buy a prepayment certificate.

ReputationRep:
    If it really bothers you, why not take a minute to think of surrounding countries who pay an awful lot more. Like Ireland. Drugs like the pill cost from €7-20, Yasmin costs about €14. Antibiotics cost about €15, depends. Some drugs for gastric problems can cost more than €40 for one months supply, a few are more than €100. There is a scheme where one household's drug expenditure is capped at €120 a month, but that is still a lot especially for those living alone or small families. People who have a medical card only have to pay 50cent, but in general if you have a job you are above the threshold- it is generally the elderly and people on welfare who can get a card, it's not a large proportion at all. My own medicine costs about €32 a month, with that of my parents it goes over the €120 allowed. Of course, everyone has to get their prescriptions renewed every 6 months, which costs €50- a standard visit to the GP. Some surgeries if they know you very well will only charge you €25 and you don't have to see the GP- but most standard scripts will require a blood pressure check-up or blood tests, so you still have to see the GP most of the times and pay the €50. Medical card holders don't pay that, but the majority do.

I know the NHS system has several flaws and it seems a bit scabby that one constituent country pays and the others don't but I'm sure there's a very good reason for it, it would flounder in funding if England's was free too, for one. But lots of countries don't have an NHS system, or anything like it. Ireland sucks! No NHS, and the hospitals and public care is in bits. So maybe be thankful for the services you DO get free of charge.

ReputationRep:
    ****SAKE.

I'm not going to bother reading every page- so forgive me if this obvious fact has already been stated.

Currently, 9/10 of our prescription charges are covered on the NHS- stop being mislead by deceitful propoganda.

Welcome to rip off England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    ****SAKE.

I'm not going to bother reading every page- so forgive me if this obvious fact has already been stated.

Currently, 9/10 of our prescription charges are covered on the NHS- stop being mislead by deceitful propoganda.
    Seriously?

Great, I'm in the 10% that has to pay. £7.40 every month for the rest of my frickin life.

ReputationRep:

I spend money on accommodation and bills, sure. But outside of that, £15-25 a week. On everything, that is - food, entertainment, toothpaste, whatever. So yes, the fact that I will have to pay £88.80 a year (as soon as I'm 19) on medication is fairly significant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.