Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of background:

I've supported myself fully since I turned 18 and don't receive financial support from anywhere.

In the first year I could only get the standard loans because my parents income was too high, I had to defer entry and work for a year to afford to go to university. I managed to save around around £6k after rent and living expenses.

I took the full loan of circa £3.5k which only just covered accommodation (I went for the cheapest halls). I overspent through the year and managed to fritter away most of the £6k on going out and other stuff. Managed to stay for with a mate rent free for a few weeks I waited for my tenancy to start with my student flat (I had used all my overdraft by this point as well which was £1.2k).

Rent for my student flat was £300/month for 12 months tenancy (excluding all bills: gas, water, electricity & tv/broadband) so the student loan didn't cover it this year (I'm currently in second year). £300 was the cheapest I could find and I'm living in a rough area a fair way away from uni.

Didn't think I was entitled to anymore student loan so I just applied for the standard. I just managed to get a job in the summer and worked 48 hours/week until university standard and managed to earn just under £3k (but spend some of that on rent and food).

Right fast forward till now (coming to the end of second year):

Managed to find a cheaper place for next year at £250 (only has a single bed and a wardrobe - no desk ). As it stands, if I don't do the same as last year and manage to find a job and work all hours all summer, I won't be able to afford next year. Luckily my tenancy for the current place ends at the same time the new tenancy starts, so I only have to find a place to stay for a night.

Now it's my understanding that my parents income has changed significantly over the last 2 years (need to talk to them to confirm) so I am wondering if I am now entitled to some more loans/bursaries.

As a rough guide, a guestimate of parents income:

Financial year ending 05/04/2009: Well over threshold
    Financial year ending 05/04/2010: £35k - £45k
    Financial year ending 05/04/2011: £35k - £39k (about to end)
    Financial year ending 05/04/2012: £20k (estimate obviously)

My main question is, which year do they assess for me applying for loans for year 3?

Just in case there is and misunderstanding, this isn't me venting, I'm just trying to give the full picture as someone may spot something obvious that could help me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Wow that is alot of text, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazza05)
    Bit of background:

I've supported myself fully since I turned 18 and don't receive financial support from anywhere.

In the first year I could only get the standard loans because my parents income was too high, I had to defer entry and work for a year to afford to go to university. I managed to save around around £6k after rent and living expenses.

I took the full loan of circa £3.5k which only just covered accommodation (I went for the cheapest halls). I overspent through the year and managed to fritter away most of the £6k on going out and other stuff. Managed to stay for with a mate rent free for a few weeks I waited for my tenancy to start with my student flat (I had used all my overdraft by this point as well which was £1.2k).

Rent for my student flat was £300/month for 12 months tenancy (excluding all bills: gas, water, electricity & tv/broadband) so the student loan didn't cover it this year (I'm currently in second year). £300 was the cheapest I could find and I'm living in a rough area a fair way away from uni.

Didn't think I was entitled to anymore student loan so I just applied for the standard. I just managed to get a job in the summer and worked 48 hours/week until university standard and managed to earn just under £3k (but spend some of that on rent and food).

Right fast forward till now (coming to the end of second year):

Managed to find a cheaper place for next year at £250 (only has a single bed and a wardrobe - no desk ). As it stands, if I don't do the same as last year and manage to find a job and work all hours all summer, I won't be able to afford next year. Luckily my tenancy for the current place ends at the same time the new tenancy starts, so I only have to find a place to stay for a night.

Now it's my understanding that my parents income has changed significantly over the last 2 years (need to talk to them to confirm) so I am wondering if I am now entitled to some more loans/bursaries.

As a rough guide, a guestimate of parents income:

Financial year ending 05/04/2009: Well over threshold
    Financial year ending 05/04/2012: £20k (estimate obviously)

My main question is, which year do they assess for me applying for loans for year 3?

Just in case there is and misunderstanding, this isn't me venting, I'm just trying to give the full picture as someone may spot something obvious that could help me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Wow that is alot of text, sorry.
    This is what you do.
    You will be assessed on parents' income for year 2009-10. You apply using the figures for that year.
    THEN
    at the end of April, when it is available, you download the current year assessment form and get you rparents to fill it in and send it off. You will then be reassessed on this year's income and should get grants.
    This is the only way it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    This is what you do.
    You will be assessed on parents' income for year 2009-10. You apply using the figures for that year.
    THEN
    at the end of April, when it is available, you download the current year assessment form and get you rparents to fill it in and send it off. You will then be reassessed on this year's income and should get grants.
    This is the only way it can be done.
    So I apply NOW for income assessed based on 2009-10 figures:

Then in MAY I download the current year assessment form where they enter the information for the 2010-11 figures:

That way I can get the maximum amount for year 3 right?

-----------

Is that correct? Do you know roughly what extra I can get? Will I be eligible for any bursaries?

Does that mean that I have missed out this year on extra loan money?

ReputationRep:
    A current year assessment requires figures for 2011-12. Proof to be furnished at year end.
    you will qualify for a grant of £2900 if your figures are correct.
    You may also qualify for a bursary from your uni. All unis differ. See their web site
    If you'd done as I outlined last year you would probably have got more loan and a partial grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If you'd done as I outlined last year you would probably have got more loan and a partial grant.
    Right ok...so I take it that there is no way to back date it at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.