Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

"Prestigous" Uni students looking down the the other Uni's students in the same city watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    To whoever wrote the thread you wrote prestigous wrong. It's prestigious.

I've wanted to be a teacher for ages, and only two top universities do my course, the rest being polytechnics. I'm perfectly capable of going to Oxford and achieving AAA but I've decided to do something I like which means I'm going to be at Brookes. I'm not dumb.
    Who on earth negged this post?

I think some rivalry between universities is fine, mainly the kind you get between universities like Oxford and Cambridge. That's a healthy rivalry where even though each will claim the other's a dump, there is an acceptance (deep down) that they are in fact a decent university.

The problem with rivalry between universities in the same city is that it's not rivalry. It's the older one completely disregarding the newer one as any sort of competition. Then what could be rivalry devolves into complacency, with dark undertones of social class segregation. The ultimate irony is that employment rates are comparable everywhere, with the ex poly often having a higher rate than the 'prestigious' university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamGee)
    I go to De Montfort University in Leicester and i'm beyond surprised at how intense our rivarly is. Being a football fan myself i'm used to big rivalrys between my football team and our rivals, so i was quite pleased with the intensity of it all, but its beyond silly sometimes. Uni of Leicester look down on us massively but they're absolutely bloody awful at dishing out banter, they just gie us the usual, you're a crap stupid uni chants and we have a whole host. Its commonly known amongst DMU students that Leicester uni is absolutely full to the brim of stuck up posh students, one of my favourite chants at UOL is You can stick you silver spoon up your arse. We absolutely despise eachother, at our varsity football game they segregated the two unis with a police pressence, for the rugby they didnt do this and it was incredibly tense and there were several bust ups were i was sat and they had to bring stewards to surround both sets of fans. Also on the battle of the uni bar crawl its incredibly tense, the only time ive ever been beaten up in my lfie was in what i can only call a small riot outside our SU at the end of the night, three UOL students kicked surrounded me and kicked the **** out of me admittedly. I've visted several of my friends unis and i can honestly say our Rivarly is the feircest.
    Good grief. I didn't realise it was that bad here. What a disgrace to Leicester Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack.O)
    Who on earth negged this post?

I think some rivalry between universities is fine, mainly the kind you get between universities like Oxford and Cambridge. That's a healthy rivalry where even though each will claim the other's a dump, there is an acceptance (deep down) that they are in fact a decent university.

The problem with rivalry between universities in the same city is that it's not rivalry. It's the older one completely disregarding the newer one as any sort of competition. Then what could be rivalry devolves into complacency, with dark undertones of social class segregation. The ultimate irony is that employment rates are comparable everywhere, with the ex poly often having a higher rate than the 'prestigious' university.
    I see a DMU student negged me :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamGee)
    I go to De Montfort University in Leicester and i'm beyond surprised at how intense our rivarly is. Being a football fan myself i'm used to big rivalrys between my football team and our rivals, so i was quite pleased with the intensity of it all, but its beyond silly sometimes. Uni of Leicester look down on us massively but they're absolutely bloody awful at dishing out banter, they just gie us the usual, you're a crap stupid uni chants and we have a whole host. Its commonly known amongst DMU students that Leicester uni is absolutely full to the brim of stuck up posh students, one of my favourite chants at UOL is You can stick you silver spoon up your arse. We absolutely despise eachother, at our varsity football game they segregated the two unis with a police pressence, for the rugby they didnt do this and it was incredibly tense and there were several bust ups were i was sat and they had to bring stewards to surround both sets of fans. Also on the battle of the uni bar crawl its incredibly tense, the only time ive ever been beaten up in my lfie was in what i can only call a small riot outside our SU at the end of the night, three UOL students kicked surrounded me and kicked the **** out of me admittedly. I've visted several of my friends unis and i can honestly say our Rivarly is the feircest.
    What about Loughborough Students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I see a DMU student negged me :fuhrer:
    Hmm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Southampton and Southampton Solent don't like each other according to the students there.
    Can you expand on that at all? I like to know what I'm getting into

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm don't people stay friends with like previous friends? Bf went to Oxford and was fine/indifferent regarding Oxford Brookes people who he came across, never a bad word about them...
    Depends what your attitude in general is though - are you the type of person who would ditch your school friends who are off to London Met/going to do a vocational course just because you have your Redbrick offer??

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know/experienced rivalry between the Liverpool Universities. Going to University of Liverpool this coming year, i would assume it would be a bit like Birmingham in terms of rivalry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    What about Loughborough Students?
    There is only one university in Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    Can you expand on that at all? I like to know what I'm getting into
    What they told me during the open days, is that they don't socialize with the Southampton Solent people at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenkatsu)
    Hmmm don't people stay friends with like previous friends? Bf went to Oxford and was fine/indifferent regarding Oxford Brookes people who he came across, never a bad word about them...
    Depends what your attitude in general is though - are you the type of person who would ditch your school friends who are off to London Met/going to do a vocational course just because you have your Redbrick offer??
    I would ditch my friends a thousand times to go to a 'redbrick uni'. I will likely not stay in contact with them for the rest of my life and my education is far more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    I'm not sure lol, it sounds like a football chant- type tune
    same one as 'lets go ******* mental...'

ReputationRep:
    What's it like between Warwick and Coventry, I know Coventry want lower grades than Warwick but Coventry isn't ex-poly so it's surely not *that* bad? I'm going to Warwick anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison1992)
    What's it like between Warwick and Coventry, I know Coventry want lower grades than Warwick but Coventry isn't ex-poly so it's surely not *that* bad? I'm going to Warwick anyway
    Read back through these posts, the relationship is discussed. I know there is rivalry...

ReputationRep:
    I go to Warwick. . .And my friend at Coventry said that Warwick students can be mean to them.

ALTHOUGH I was on the bus once and there was a group of Coventry students making fun of the Warwick campus. . .and saying the university was crap and the students were thick.

I was just like :lolwut: ?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadiiiiia)
    I go to Warwick. . .And my friend at Coventry said that Warwick students can be mean to them.

ALTHOUGH I was on the bus once and there was a group of Coventry students making fun of the Warwick campus. . .and saying the university was crap and the students were thick.

I was just like :lolwut: ?????
    That just proves it then...

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you can expect it wherever you go

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the reason I didn't apply to universities that shared a city, town or were very close to a much better university.

I'd just find it awkward if I was at say Bath Spa, because even though their course was the best for me (QTS), I'd feel inferior to Bath students, despite the fact I'll probably have better grades than students studying the same course.

That's just my view though, I take things too personally, too much to heart and I'm easily discouraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    That just proves it then...

I was just shocked at how loud and abrupt they were being in a bus full of Warwick students , I don't think you should paint everyone with the same brush though I have some friends at coventry uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatgatsby)
    Anybody know/experienced rivalry between the Liverpool Universities. Going to University of Liverpool this coming year, i would assume it would be a bit like Birmingham in terms of rivalry.
    Liv, Hope, Edge and Moores!

Ridiculous amount of universities in a tiny space.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.