Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Prestigous" Uni students looking down the the other Uni's students in the same city Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Max I)
    Let's be serious, no cities have more than one university (except London).
    Bit harsh.

What about Birmingham which has the University of Birmingham and Aston University? They're both pretty good aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    Yea these guys once brought this guy back from the crap uni and stabbed him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triiden)
    Hey,
    I was just wondering, do those at say Oxford, Sheffield, Manchester etc socially interact with people at the lower ranked uni (Oxford brookes, Hallam, Manchester Met) or do you just generally stay with people at your own uni?

My cousin went to oxford brookes and said that the majority of oxford students didnt really bother with those who werent from oxford themselves.

Thanks!
    Well, often the universities are quite a way apart so you do tend to stick with people from your own university. I don't think that's strictly because the prestigious university students look down on those from the other university, though. I've heard accounts of Oxford students getting on well with Oxford Brookes ones, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I'd literally say goodbye today if I had too.
    what uni are you hoping to go to

ReputationRep:
    Oh teenagers, forever labelling themselves deeper and deeper into their little sects of society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max I)
    I don't think that's really for you to decide, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max I)
    witty (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Oh teenagers, forever labelling themselves deeper and deeper into their little sects of society.
    I don't think it's just teenagers though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbo99)
    When I used to go to Uni of Leeds I was once on a night out with my friend from halls, and a guy approached us and asked us if what uni we went to so we said Leeds and he just made a noise and walked off :/ lol goes both ways, I'm going to assume he was from Leeds met
    He'd probs get ripped by his mates for talking to an 'outsider' or something.
    I'm going to leeds so i hope the leeds met people arent too pathetic about differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Bit harsh.

What about Birmingham which has the University of Birmingham and Aston University? They're both pretty good aren't they?
    Yeah but there's a thing called 'Aston standards' this is a term coined by Aston students originally but is used by UOB students too. The term is used to judge how good-looking an Aston student is and it's known that Aston students for some reason aren't the best looking. It's when you find out so-and-so is from Aston and you refer to 'Aston standards' to decide whether they fit within the low expectations or exceed them.
    Because there are four 'universities' in Bham I'd say UOB and Aston kind of stick together ,when it comes to uni rivalry, and Uni College Birmingham and BCU tend to side off. However Aston, BCU and UOB students do like to set themselves up as 'I go to Aston/UOB/BCU' and there's always cheers for unis in the clubs on student nights. There's never enough UCB students to really do this, although I met a couple of nice boys from UCB.

ReputationRep:
    In Leicester it's just rivalry most of the time. Yes, the UoL is better than DMU regarding its position in the league tables but that doesn't mean I seriously look down on people who go to DMU. I actually have a few friends that go there.

The banter at varsity was good though, smash the poly!

We go somewhere you don't go,
    Uni, Uni,
    We go somewhere you don't go,
    University!

ReputationRep:
    When football teams from Leicester Uni played De Montfort Uni a week or so ago, there were actually T-Shirts available in the Student Union that proudly proclaimed 'DMWho?'. I definitely think a bit of rivalry is encouraged...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innately_Hedonistic)
    When you are being looked down on by Leciester University your life must be horribly depressing, no?
    If you're implying that the University of Leicester is poor, what are you basing this on? Visit or have a look at the league tables. It's 12th in the Guardian and 15th in the Times, higher in certain departments!

ReputationRep:
    It's all very well to go to the more highly ranked uni in a given city, but it should be enough that you've achieved that without lauding it over those that haven't. A man's character isn't measured by how he treats his equals.

I feel lucky that this sort of thing isn't prevalent in London.

EDIT: That being said, we do call King's 'Strand Polytechnic'. Though I don't think that's based on ideas of academic superiority so much as the fact that they played football with Jeremy Bentham's head.

ReputationRep:
    There are some quite harsh chants towards man met but theres no genuine malice or anything

Though, we smash the met in academics, football and rugby (not sure about any other sports)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamGee)
    I go to De Montfort University in Leicester and i'm beyond surprised at how intense our rivarly is. Being a football fan myself i'm used to big rivalrys between my football team and our rivals, so i was quite pleased with the intensity of it all, but its beyond silly sometimes. Uni of Leicester look down on us massively but they're absolutely bloody awful at dishing out banter, they just gie us the usual, you're a crap stupid uni chants and we have a whole host. Its commonly known amongst DMU students that Leicester uni is absolutely full to the brim of stuck up posh students, one of my favourite chants at UOL is You can stick you silver spoon up your arse. We absolutely despise eachother, at our varsity football game they segregated the two unis with a police pressence, for the rugby they didnt do this and it was incredibly tense and there were several bust ups were i was sat and they had to bring stewards to surround both sets of fans. Also on the battle of the uni bar crawl its incredibly tense, the only time ive ever been beaten up in my lfie was in what i can only call a small riot outside our SU at the end of the night, three UOL students kicked surrounded me and kicked the **** out of me admittedly. I've visted several of my friends unis and i can honestly say our Rivarly is the feircest.
    (Original post by Jack.O)
    Good grief. I didn't realise it was that bad here. What a disgrace to Leicester Uni.
    Whilst it is a massive rivalry, to be fair it rarely escalates to violence. Students kicking the heck out of eachother isn't a common occurence. At the rugby varsity my friend almost got in a fight because a DMU student spat in a girl's face, but these are all isolated incidents. It's not escalated to football factory style university hooliganism yet lol. I don't think it's different from the other university rivalries, ie Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc.

ReputationRep:
    All of this makes me well sad and really angry.

No one from UPenn does this to other unis in Pennsylvania.

For those who participate in this disgusting behaviour, have a taste of your own medicine:

Get ready to tell your children that I would never employ you because you went to a rubbish uni (anything that is not Wharton).
    Peace b!tches x
    SEE, HOW do you like that? It's gross. So don't do it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha but people that do it seriously and none jokingly are pathetic pretentious losers, people shouldn't want to interact with people like that whether they go to a prestigious uni or not

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Cambridge - it is pretty awkward when you start chatting to someone in a pub/club and realise they're from Anglia Ruskin. I have to watch what I say very carefully to avoid patronising them. I know it sounds terrible, but I probably also dumb down my conversation a bit.

There generally isn't that much interaction between Cam and AR students because people tend to drink in their college bars - and when they do venture out to a pub, they just go with their friends from college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    My brother goes to Anglia Ruskin, and Cambridge students refer to it as the Early Learning Centre :lol:
    Haha my sisters friend put ittalic marks around the word 'university' at the big sign at the station for Anglia Ruskin University

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.