Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To all EU (prospective) students - question about university bursaries/scholarships watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been browsing university websites for a while and I notice one thing they have in common - nobody wants to give EU students any money, for any reason. No bursaries for financially disadvantaged EU students, no scholarships for brilliant EU students, nothing at all - and I wonder why.

I see scholarships for international (outside EU/EEA) students, but nobody mentions EU students. I am from the EU, and I am going to pay the same tuition fees as UK students (...if they don't change the way things are, obviously), but it's going to be pretty difficult for me to sustain 3+ years of accommodation/living fees without any support from the university. My parents are obviously going to help me any way they can, and part-time jobs exist for a reason, but I'd like to know if any of you have found a university that helps EU students as well as other students, because I am seriously starting to be discouraged by the 'outwith the EU's* I see specified in university websites.

*specifically, the University of Edinburgh uses these words. I had to google 'outwith' because I had no idea what it meant!

PS I am not talking about student maintenance loans given by the government - if you haven't lived in the UK for at least three years, you can't apply for them. I'm talking about university-given grants/bursaries/funding!

ReputationRep:
    Home students find bursaries extremely hard to get. Why shouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Home students find bursaries extremely hard to get. Why shouldn't you?
    I think you misunderstood my question/post- what I'm saying is not that it's difficult for EU students to get bursaries, I'm saying that there are apparently NO bursaries to be had. In one case, you get a chance at it - in the other, you can't even try and apply for one. Big difference!

ReputationRep:
    But why should there be? Unless some EU beneficiary is prepared to fund a bursary why should UK tax payers?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.