Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear All,
    I have a serious problem
    I'm studying IB at year 11 now , I want to apply for medicine.

Medicine usually requires Chemistry HL and Biology HL.
    My school is offering Chemistry SL !
    No student is taking it at HL , and that's a big problem for me
    I talked to the IB Supervisor , but he said the school didn't take that option !
    What shall I do? I MUST take Chemistry HL in order to get to medicine.
    How can I take it on my own? Is there a method ?
    Will IBO agree to let me examine at Chemistry HL while the school chose SL?
    Is there any possible way to get out of this dillema?
    Please Help,
    and thanks

ReputationRep:
    where is your school? is there no chance you could change to a school that does offer chem HL? I know this might be hard depending which country you live in, but if medicine is you dream then you should follow it. Chemistry HL is very hard and if your school refuses to teach it even if you find a way to do it yourself it could result in you getting not good enough grades to de medicine anyway. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I can't change to another IB school !
    I can manage to study Chemistry HL myself , with the help of private tutors or anything.
    My problem is how can I take Chemistry HL exam as the school is not offering?
    Can I contact IBO to take it individually or anything?
    And thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    the exam shouldn't be a problem. talk to your IB coordinator and they should be able to arrange it with the IBO.

ReputationRep:
    So , that is possible?

ReputationRep:
    That's deep, brah.

ReputationRep:
    your in year 11? im in year 11 but im doing IB next year??

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the exams next year too

ReputationRep:
    Your school examinations coordinator will be happy to put you in on the HL course,
    if you're part of a consortium, see if you can take a lesson at a nearby school which offers HL chemistry?
    i take 2 A2's at one school and one at another as my main 6th form doesn't offer that subject...?
    even if you're not in consortium, phone local schools and see if they'll accept you into their lesson for HL chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Ok , my problem is not studying it ... I have many ways to study the subject.
    My problem is ... Will I be allowed to take the exam?
    I mean , the school is currently not offering the exam , and I want to take it .... I'll be the only student in the IB section taking it.

Again please ... Is that possible ? Will IBO refuse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyunqul)
    Ok , my problem is not studying it ... I have many ways to study the subject.
    My problem is ... Will I be allowed to take the exam?
    I mean , the school is currently not offering the exam , and I want to take it .... I'll be the only student in the IB section.

Again please ... Is that possible ? Will IBO refuse?
    I'd have thought your school would be able to enter you for the exam - but you might have to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    no your school doesn't have to offer the class in order for you to take the exam. i'm sort of in the opposite situation: my school only offers HL chem and i wanted SL chem instead, so i sometimes sit in the HL class but i'm still going to take the SL exam.

so, your school can still register you for the HL exam even if they're not teaching it. you just need to ask your ib coordinator to register you for that exam.

also, in terms of applying for medicine, there are still a couple of schools that are ok with SL chem, provided you have bio at HL. because i have HL bio and SL chem, and i applied for medicine this year. i attended interviews and so far i have one offer, so speaking from experience, it can work. but yeah, only few schools will accept sl chem...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what all have said: it is entirely possible to take the Chem HL exam. Just talk to your IB coordinator and get him/her to sign you up for it.

BUT the process of going down this path is very hard...what ALL of you are forgetting are the labs. OP, do remember you need to make sure your IAs are up in order. HL Chemistry requires more lab hours, possibly on HL material if I am correct (I only took SL), so make sure this happens! I'm not sure if the IB will simply mark your IAs, or if they require a marker in advance...I'm thinking it's probably the latter, but TSR, do correct me if I'm wrong! It looks like you may need some room for accomodation from your chemistry teacher before you even start thinking about this path. So you need to have some good long talks with the IB coordinator and the teacher running the programme. If he isn't willing to mark your HL labs...I'm not exactly sure what you're going to do.

And a word of caution: in order to even think about self-studying for a Group 4, you NEED an excellent textbook. You NEED a great person to turn to if you need assistance. Otherwise, your errors won't be fixed. You should have the Neuss study guide, because it kicks BUTT for everything, particularly Paper 3. You might want to consider the questionbank as well. PLUS... you'll need practice exams (a teacher won't be there to show you the proper method of solving questions, exactly what you need for individual marks...so you'll need to learn from the marking schemes themselves).

So summary: IAs straightened out, get permission of IB coordinator, get the aforementioned resources and then...I think you'll be fine. Chemistry, for me, was the toughest science (I'm willing to suggest Chem SL last year was tougher than my Physics HL exam), but it is all worth it if you want to get into medicine. Good luck for the coming year!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help
    I hope I wil be able to do tHAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyunqul)
    Thank you all for your help
    I hope I wil be able to do tHAT
    are you in year 12 or 11?

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.