Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Forgot this

Not everyone living on an estate is on benefits though...

I don't know, I've been around some of the most deprived estates in Tyneside, Merseyside, London, Manchester and Sheffield. I don't see too many cars.

I've been around some ex-council estates and see four by fours, estate cars, expensive caravans and similar. But that's the key difference. Ex-council estate (ie. the houses are now private and either owned outright or with a mortgage) with houses often occupied by professional people or families whose children are independent - they can therefore afford these things.

In estates yes, there are cars, but not particularly expensive cars. Cars are, to some, a genuine necessity. Especially those with certain severe disabilities (who are more likely to live in on these estates) and some are given a mobility payment or allowed to rent a vehicle from the state. But even this is under threat for some.

Yes, some students do struggle to get by, but this is a voluntary situation. They can, if they want, leave university and get a job (or, if the welfare state is as generous as you seem to think, sign on the dole).

There are families up and down the country who are struggling to get by. Students, if the worst comes to the worst and they are in such dire financial straits that they may need to drop out, can go to the university. The university will then offer financial support. Access to Learing, for example.

They are fairly well protected members of society, with most (albeit certainly not all) also coming from relaively affuent families. Don't dare even suggest that most students are living in poverty comarable to those who are genuinely struggling in society.

I KNOW not everyone on an estate is on benefits! Some do very nicely but choose to live somewhere where the rent is heavily subsidised in order to save money! Once you are awarded a council house you can keep it forever!

The FAMILIES have put themselves in their situation voluntarily! Who the hell asked people with little money to have kids?

There are also couples with children on benefits who have other relatives i.e grandparents who could pay for things for the children. Why should the taxpayer pay for these children? It is gross abuse of the system to use the money for birthday presents etc.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I see where you're coming from.
    Just watched tonight's Dispatches, I sure as hell don't want them getting my money.

ReputationRep:
    ...Gotta be a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemozo)
    Yes but I didn't expect to earn over the threshold, and so I'd always seen it as a grant rather than a loan.
    I kind of see what you're getting at. The words 'Student Loan' are misleading.

ReputationRep:
    The OP has received his answer now. No, you cannot fill in a form declaring you didn't attend university. You need to repay your loan if you're earning above the threshold which you are.

I think this is all that can be said and the thread is going off topic.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.