JohnLight
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
If cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1, does cos x + sin x = 1? I'm not sure because, cos^2 x = (cosx)^2 therefore when you take the square root you get cos x. So if you take the square root of everything in the trig identity cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1 you get cos x + sin x = 1. I dont think this is right but i dont know what i'm doing wrong.
Concept186
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
The square root of cos^2 + sin^2 isn't cos + sin. Think about this: 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2 (9+16=25). Does 3 + 4 = 5?
viksta1000
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
nope doesnt work

Sin45 = 1/r2

co45 = 1/r2

1/r2 + 1/r2 =/= 1

this is because the square root of sin^2x+cos^2x =/= sinx+cosx
disco1000
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Your fundamentally abusing the laws of powers in this case.
When you sqrt (sin^2+cos^2 = 1) you square root one and get +/- 1 and when you square root the other side, because its + and not times or divide, you can't just split up the two terms. Immagine that (cos^2 (x) and sin^2 (x)) are a bracket, you can't just square root both sides.

Immagine if you could. Then you are saying that sin (x) + cos (x) = sqrt (sin^2 (x) + cos^2 (x)) so if we square both sides, we'd get the same value on either side right? then you get sin^2 (x) + cos^2(x) + 2sin(x)cos(x) = sin^2 (x) + cos^2(x) thus 2sin(x)cos(x) = 0. so it only works if sin (x) or cos (x) are 0 and for no other value.
Good enough
ella37
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
if you're taking the square root, you take the WHOLE equation. you can't just square root cosx^2 and sinx^2 separately. that's only when the variable are multiplied, not added.
JohnLight
Rep:
(Original post by Concept186)
The square root of cos^2 + sin^2 isn't cos + sin. Think about this: 3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2 (9+16=25). Does 3 + 4 = 5?
Thanks man, i feel like such an idiot!
JohnLight
Rep:
Thanks everyone who replied, i'm sorry you had to witness my momentary ******edness.
immense010
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Although it's not true generally, there are values of x where it does work, those being in any multiple of pi/2. Here's how it works:
cos(x)+sin(x)=1

(cos(x)+sin(x))^2=1^2=1

cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)+2cos(x)sin(x)=1

cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)=1-2cos(x)sin(x).
So what you're saying only works when:
2cos(x)sin(x)=0

cos(x)=0 or sin(x)=0
x=\frac{\pi}{2} ,\frac{3\pi}{2} ,etc...
OR
x=0, \pi, 2\pi, etc..
i.e. x=\frac{n \pi}{2} where n=0,1,2,...
ZeeAli
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
depends i think what x is
cosX +sinX = 1
where X=0
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
If that were the case then why would anyone bother quoting the squared version?
marek35
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Generally- no.

Also the square root of cos^2x is not equal to cosx.
amy2507
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
No
cabdirisaq
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Sec-CosX÷1 SinX
cabdirisaq
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
SecX-CosX÷1+sinx
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cabdirisaq)
SecX-CosX÷1+sinx
Why have you resurrected an 8 year old discussion to make an unrelated comment?
Younosewho
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yo been 8 years do u even remember visiting this site?What do u do now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.7%
Okay (118)
29.35%
A bit lacking (153)
38.06%
Not good at all (92)
22.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise