Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a first year doing law at Durham and I really hate it, I went there without visiting it and without realising how far away I would be from my family and friends so I decided to apply to transfer somewhere closer to home through ucas. I have received all my offers back and I'm very unsure what to do. The only universities I applied to that will accept me to transfer directly to the second year are Kent and Essex, the other 3 I applied to (UEA, UCL, QMUL) offered me unconditional places if I re-do my first year again there. So my question is really, is it better to waste another year, get into more debt and start again or to continue onto a second year at a University that isn't as good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabella14)
    I'm currently a first year doing law at Durham and I really hate it, I went there without visiting it and without realising how far away I would be from my family and friends so I decided to apply to transfer somewhere closer to home through ucas. I have received all my offers back and I'm very unsure what to do. The only universities I applied to that will accept me to transfer directly to the second year are Kent and Essex, the other 3 I applied to (UEA, UCL, QMUL) offered me unconditional places if I re-do my first year again there. So my question is really, is it better to waste another year, get into more debt and start again or to continue onto a second year at a University that isn't as good?
    Personally, I'd redo the first year at somewhere like UCL/QMUL. That way you get involved in freshers again, which is an opportune time to make friends and you're not joining a pre-existing cohort of people who have already been learning together for a year and have made friendship groups. I don't know how close knit law students are though. Considering how awesome first year can be, and that by the sounds of it you've had an awful one, I'd give it another shot. Plus you walk away with an awesome degree that'll probably be looked on a bit more highly than a degree from elsewhere (admittedly, I'm not an expert on law degrees) It depends on whether the student loan is more important, or whether the experience of uni life factors into it, I guess. On the plus side, at least you'll be sneaking in before the 2012 fee changes.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly I don't know your financial situation or what your ambitions are, but if I were you, I'd definitely go to UCL and redo the first year. It is the only university you have mentioned on a par with Durham. I wouldn't damage your future prospects for the sake of a year's convenience. It's simply not worth it. I also think the point the poster above makes about settled friendship groups is a very good one. I don't know if we can generalise and say law students are any more close-knit that those doing other subjects, but humans as a rule do tend to form cliques. At university these will generally revolve around those who live at the same college or halls as you do. You will have missed out on that initial experience.

I think we can all sympathise with your situation. It's very unfortunate for you that things didn't work out but I think many people find themselves in a similar situation. Well done for showing the courage to actually do something about it! University can be a difficult adjustment, particularly if you're attached to home or you've never really lived away before. Write off this year- try and enjoy the rest of it and come back all guns blazing the next. You'll have benefited from some of the legal knowledge you've accrued (hopefully) at Durham and it will be easier to hit the ground running when you return to academia.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused - you said Durham isn't very good... really? Even for law? If you have the chance and you're sure you'd be happier in London, then go straight for UCL. I wouldn't really bother with UEL, QMUL etc if you have a UCL offer.

That said, re-doing first year of law must be really hard - I know a couple of people who had to. Having to do ALL the reading again and all the tutorial prep again. Just consider that; it might be too much of a drag. I'd certainly be hoping to go into second year to study some new subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    I'm confused - you said Durham isn't very good... really? Even for law? If you have the chance and you're sure you'd be happier in London, then go straight for UCL. I wouldn't really bother with UEL, QMUL etc if you have a UCL offer.

That said, re-doing first year of law must be really hard - I know a couple of people who had to. Having to do ALL the reading again and all the tutorial prep again. Just consider that; it might be too much of a drag. I'd certainly be hoping to go into second year to study some new subjects.
    She's not said Durham isn't good. She's said she hasn't enjoyed Durham. The two concepts are quite different and, with all due respect, I don't think they are particularly confusing! I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

I don't think doing a bit of reading again is necessarily a bad thing to be honest. I graduated only last year, but I have no shame in admitting that I have already forgotten a lot of the law I haven't used since, particularly in modules I wasn't particularly interested in, such as IP law. Repeating certain modules will consolidate her knowledge of subjects.

You also appear to assume that Law Schools teach exactly the same elements of the law. My tort lecturer had an infatuation with the conflict between natural justice v. utilitarianism in negligence law and emphasised that almost above everything else. When I got to Bar School, I found out that other universities seemed to have a slightly more practical bent and actually taught important stuff, like the Occupiers' Liability Acts. The point is, what she learnt at Durham in a particular module may not be the same as what she will learn at another university.

There's also no guarantee that Durham and UCL will teach the same modules in the first year. For instance, Durham teach Criminal and Land in the second year and EU Constitutional in the first. I don't know what UCL do (and I really can't be bothered to research) but quite often Criminal and Land are taught as first year topics and EU is taught as a second year one. Clearly, given that first year modules are generally confined to the "core 7" required for qualification as a lawyer, she probably will have to repeat certain subjects. This is more palatable, however, if some are studied 2, rather than just 1 year later.

I for one think the idea of a fresh start is fairly appealing. Purely from a psychological perspective, the OP may feel that the best way to put what has clearly been an unpleasant experience behind her is to wipe the slate clean and start again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamTJ)
    She's not said Durham isn't good. She's said she hasn't enjoyed Durham. The two concepts are quite different and, with all due respect, I don't think they are particularly confusing! I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

I don't think doing a bit of reading again is necessarily a bad thing to be honest. I graduated only last year, but I have no shame in admitting that I have already forgotten a lot of the law I haven't used since, particularly in modules I wasn't particularly interested in, such as IP law. Repeating certain modules will consolidate her knowledge of subjects.

You also appear to assume that Law Schools teach exactly the same elements of the law. My tort lecturer had an infatuation with the conflict between natural justice v. utilitarianism in negligence law and emphasised that almost above everything else. When I got to Bar School, I found out that other universities seemed to have a slightly more practical bent and actually taught important stuff, like the Occupiers' Liability Acts. The point is, what she learnt at Durham in a particular module may not be the same as what she will learn at another university.

There's also no guarantee that Durham and UCL will teach the same modules in the first year. For instance, Durham teach Criminal and Land in the second year and EU Constitutional in the first. I don't know what UCL do (and I really can't be bothered to research) but quite often Criminal and Land are taught as first year topics and EU is taught as a second year one. Clearly, given that first year modules are generally confined to the "core 7" required for qualification as a lawyer, she probably will have to repeat certain subjects. This is more palatable, however, if some are studied 2, rather than just 1 year later.

I for one think the idea of a fresh start is fairly appealing. Purely from a psychological perspective, the OP may feel that the best way to put what has clearly been an unpleasant experience behind her is to wipe the slate clean and start again.
    Good for you, but it's clearly a controversial move. Re-doing first year law in my opinion is just not some I would like to embark on and I'd feel frustrated studying potentially the same modules again. There's a high chance she will be studying at least 2 or 3 of the same modules.

I'd suggest sticking it out, particularly for law. It may look a little murky and questionable when she applies for training contracts and vacation schemes at magic circle firms; the firms might think it's suspicious or shady that she switched from Durham to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you, but it's clearly a controversial move. Re-doing first year law in my opinion is just not some I would like to embark on and I'd feel frustrated studying potentially the same modules again. There's a high chance she will be studying at least 2 or 3 of the same modules.

I'd suggest sticking it out, particularly for law. It may look a little murky and questionable when she applies for training contracts and vacation schemes at magic circle firms; the firms might think it's suspicious or shady that she switched from Durham to UCL.
    Right. I don't completely disagree with what you're saying. However, I'm not sure you've necessarily internalised what I've said. The fact is; the OP is in the position she is in. The option of continuing at Durham is clearly not viable for her and I think that is a decision which has to be respected. The choice, therefore, is between whether she goes to Kent or Essex and continues from second year, or (realistically) whether she repeats the first year at UCL. As such, my arguments more revolve around the fact that, in those circumstances, repeating the first year wouldn't be such a bad thing. I also think a fresh start, at a place where the OP is happier, would mean she would probably get more out of re-learning certain modules.

As for your second point, about applications for vac schemes and training contracts; well I simply don't accept it. I think plenty of people change university or course at some stage or another. It is not a particularly uncommon occurrence. If anything, I think the fact that the OP has recognised that she has had a problem and has then had the courage and maturity to deal with that could well be regarded as a positive. Employers, after all, are only human as well and are more accommodating of "blips" than you would imagine. Provided the OP goes on to get a 2.1, I don't envisage any particular problems in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    1 Day Ago 16:30
    ellabella14 Transfer or redo first year?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there! I think i'm going to be in your situation next year! i got an offer from Nottingham and this will be my firm choice i guess. The thing is i have a flat in London and while living here (i've been living here for 1 year) i got accustomed to locations and places, made lots of friends. Unfortunately, I was rejected by UCL and that is still quite depressing for me as it was my dream uni. I'm thinking about transfering into 2nd year as well. Read on QMUL website that they DO accept transfers right into 2nd year weird uni
    anyways if it is not possible to transfer into 2nd year i AGREE on re-doing 1st year if it's in UCL the information i'm particularly interested in what grades you provided to UCL and QMUL so that they agreed upon giving you unconditional offers if you re-do your first year? did you apply trough UCAS or contacted universities directly? What about this stupid test LNAT (sorry it's just my real feeling towards this test) did you resit it again? :eek:
    Any information is valuable! i will be grateful for your response! thanx in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlfromala)
    1 Day Ago 16:30
    ellabella14 Transfer or redo first year?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there! I think i'm going to be in your situation next year! i got an offer from Nottingham and this will be my firm choice i guess. The thing is i have a flat in London and while living here (i've been living here for 1 year) i got accustomed to locations and places, made lots of friends. Unfortunately, I was rejected by UCL and that is still quite depressing for me as it was my dream uni. I'm thinking about transfering into 2nd year as well. Read on QMUL website that they DO accept transfers right into 2nd year weird uni
    anyways if it is not possible to transfer into 2nd year i AGREE on re-doing 1st year if it's in UCL the information i'm particularly interested in what grades you provided to UCL and QMUL so that they agreed upon giving you unconditional offers if you re-do your first year? did you apply trough UCAS or contacted universities directly? What about this stupid test LNAT (sorry it's just my real feeling towards this test) did you resit it again? :eek:
    Any information is valuable! i will be grateful for your response! thanx in advance!
    Hi yeah, I only applied to QMUL as they said they do accept transfers, but the issue is the modules which I have covered at Durham in my first year are different to those offered at QMUL
    I got rejected from UCL last year and it was my first choice so I kind of just applied to them to see what happened so I am very happy that they have offered me anything.
    I applied through UCAS in the same way as you do normally but you put point of entry two instead of one and they know its for a second year transfer. It's worth contacting universities directly too though as some will say on their websites that they don't accept transfers but you may find that in fact they will give some leeway on that if contacted directly.
    I got A* A A in my A levels and THANKFULLY I didn't have to redo the LNAT, it was horrible enough the first time round!
    Hope some of that helps and if there is anything else you would like to know I'll try and help

ReputationRep:

I completely understand your point and I do think it is definitely something which I need to take in to account, It didn't really cross my mind when I thought about transferring but I guess that I could end up getting bored repeating the same things I have already done before. I love the actually university itself it is just Durham as a place that is the problem and the fact that as much as I've tried, I haven't been able to settle in and my family aren't coping well with me being so far away. Thanks for your points though, it has made me realise that there are more factors that I need to consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamTJ)
    Right. I don't completely disagree with what you're saying. However, I'm not sure you've necessarily internalised what I've said. The fact is; the OP is in the position she is in. The option of continuing at Durham is clearly not viable for her and I think that is a decision which has to be respected. The choice, therefore, is between whether she goes to Kent or Essex and continues from second year, or (realistically) whether she repeats the first year at UCL. As such, my arguments more revolve around the fact that, in those circumstances, repeating the first year wouldn't be such a bad thing. I also think a fresh start, at a place where the OP is happier, would mean she would probably get more out of re-learning certain modules.

As for your second point, about applications for vac schemes and training contracts; well I simply don't accept it. I think plenty of people change university or course at some stage or another. It is not a particularly uncommon occurrence. If anything, I think the fact that the OP has recognised that she has had a problem and has then had the courage and maturity to deal with that could well be regarded as a positive. Employers, after all, are only human as well and are more accommodating of "blips" than you would imagine. Provided the OP goes on to get a 2.1, I don't envisage any particular problems in that regard.
    Thank you for your answers, I'm completely disregarding the idea of going to Kent or Essex now as I feel that would be more of a waste time and money than redoing the year again would be. I do worry about being a year older than everyone else though if I were to start again at UCL but I guess lots of people take gap years and such

ReputationRep:
    Its a hard decision. Personally I'd go to UCL - I'd want to start again with a fresh slate and be involved with the freshers' activities. Though of course you need to be ready to do the work and meet the standards of UCL.

I do worry about being a year older than everyone else though if I were to start again at UCL but I guess lots of people take gap years and such
    Absolutely. A single year is not noticeable and a LOT of people will have taken gap years. Doesn't matter one bit. If you are feeling home-sick currently, it will be extremely important to do your best to go to all the fresher events/join societies next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there It's funny that I came across your post, because I am also currently a first year law student at Durham, but am definitely transferring to UCL next year. I love Durham, but I'm more of a big city girl, so whilst I can take it in rather small doses, I've found that I get bored really quickly. UCL was my first choice last year, but there was a screwup with my grades (I did IB), and by the time they were fixed it was too late. Despite having to repeat my first year, I think that the move to London is going to be worth it. Studying in London will be a great experience, and I hope I'll just be all-round happier. You sound rather unhappy about Durham, so I think you should do what you think will be right for you

ReputationRep:
    Hi yeah, I only applied to QMUL as they said they do accept transfers, but the issue is the modules which I have covered at Durham in my first year are different to those offered at QMUL
    I got rejected from UCL last year and it was my first choice so I kind of just applied to them to see what happened so I am very happy that they have offered me anything.
    I applied through UCAS in the same way as you do normally but you put point of entry two instead of one and they know its for a second year transfer. It's worth contacting universities directly too though as some will say on their websites that they don't accept transfers but you may find that in fact they will give some leeway on that if contacted directly.
    I got A* A A in my A levels and THANKFULLY I didn't have to redo the LNAT, it was horrible enough the first time round!
    Hope some of that helps and if there is anything else you would like to know I'll try and help
    Thanks a lot!
    When did you apply for transfer? Should i contact them directly or by email?
    Sorry, for so many questions i'm just so excited that it is possible to transfer from uni to UCL even if re-doing 1st year without taking LNAT again

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people have mentioned you should redo the year so that you can experience freshers again instead of transfering to the second year, in a way you can still experience freshers at the new uni even by starting in second year as i think you can still get on-campus accommodation being a new student so living with first years still allows you to experience freshers doesnt it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 24, 2011

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.