Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had an eye test today and was thinking of getting contact lenses instead of glasses.. I was in a bit of a rush and so didn't sort it out today but the guy basically said if I have contact lenses I will still need glasses (Sph -1.50 in both eyes.) I didn't really have time to really ask but why is this? Is it just their way of getting more money out of you? I am confused what the glasses purpose would be if I have contacts :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's a back up for if you lose one, don't get on with them or don't always want to wear them.

ReputationRep:
    when you take them out in the evening so you can still see (most contacts you're only supposed to wear 8 hours a day but most people seem to wear them longer)

or if you run out of contacts

or if you get an eye infection so cant wear contacts

they're basically a backup pair, so just get some cheapo ones

ReputationRep:
    Well it's no good to wear connies all the time immediately after you get them, so you'll need glasses then.

Also I sometimes find them hard to wear all day, for example when it's windy or when i'm boozing

and of course for those lazy days when you dont wanna go outside, no point wasting a pair.

ReputationRep:
    You'll always need to have a pair of standby glasses. Like others say you can't physically wear contact lenses all the time, and you shouldn't. A day off does your eyes a world of good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sometimes it feels good to take a brake from contacts for a day, for example after a long clubbing night.

ReputationRep:
    you're supposed to only wear contacts for 12 hrs/day
    i wear mine all day and only wear my glasses when i go to bed/wake up
    and once when i lost one
    people were confused since they hadn't seen me in glasses in years

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.. I should really have used some common sense! Thanks a lot.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.