Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All universities have now broken up for Easter. I've currently just taken a stroll down the high street in the main student area of Nottingham - Lenton and it's died.

Everyone has gone home. Usually there's a buzz and people are strolling around having a laugh but now there's a errie silence. It's turned into a ghost town!! :eek:

Has your student area / halls turned into a ghost town?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    All universities have now broken up for Easter. I've currently just taken a stroll down the high street in the main student area of Nottingham - Lenton and it's died.

Everyone has gone home. Usually there's a buzz and people are strolling around having a laugh but now there's a errie silence. It's turned into a ghost town!! :eek:

We haven't yet actually.
    I think it's usually quite dead here but there are still international students about.

ReputationRep:

Not all universities, DMU is still open still the end of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Plymouth is pretty much like Chernobyl outside term time too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)

Hahaha!! That made me laugh!!!

ReputationRep:
    Having said that......

(You can see where I'm going with this, surely? :awesome:)

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree! I came through the campus earlier today after getting off the train (sadly i have to work over easter so spent last week at home instead) so not only did i get funny looks for walking BACK to halls with a case, there was pretty much no one around :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    hahahah!

campus is quiet, i love when students arent around. although my annoying flatmates have decided to stick around for easter :mad: fortunately on wednes i can escape and go home for the rest of the hols.

besides annoying flatmates..im loving having campus to myself, no dicks in the library, cafes all quiet, no drunken wakeup calls as undergrads pass by my flat... im such an old miserable postgrad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    hahahah!

campus is quiet, i love when students arent around. although my annoying flatmates have decided to stick around for easter :mad: fortunately on wednes i can escape and go home for the rest of the hols.

besides annoying flatmates..im loving having campus to myself, no dicks in the library, cafes all quiet, no drunken wakeup calls as undergrads pass by my flat... im such an old miserable postgrad
    haha is it weird that I TOTALLY agree with you...and I'm a first year undergrad! Im just an old soul I guess

ReputationRep:

I break up on the 8th.

Plymouth Uni have broken up though, and even though I don't venture into the City Centre much, I would imagine that the absence of 30,000 students has made a difference.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a student village, and yes. It's scary. The shop and takeaway are closed. The buses are really infrequent or non-existant as well. I was well hungry last night but I had nowhere to buy food and no money to order it (cashpoint is in the closed shop.)

PS) BONUS though: there were well loads of sandwiches in 99p store, there are never usually any! Score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my9rides)
    haha is it weird that I TOTALLY agree with you...and I'm a first year undergrad! Im just an old soul I guess
    i was the same at undegrad too! especially having the flat aaall to myself... i used to love that!

i wouldnt like it to be dead ALL the time though, but i do love the times when it all calms down and campus is MINE again

guess we're just lonerrific oldies! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I live in a student village, and yes. It's scary. The shop and takeaway are closed. The buses are really infrequent or non-existant as well. I was well hungry last night but I had nowhere to buy food and no money to order it (cashpoint is in the closed shop.)

PS) BONUS though: there were well loads of sandwiches in 99p store, there are never usually any! Score!
    Yes, the good thing about all the students going home for the holiday was that the was no queue at all at Sainsbury's or the Tesco Express. Usually they're both rammed with students buying takeaways, pasta and tins of baked beans!!!

I walked in Sainsbury's today and literally got served straight away when I approached the till. However, as I said, the silence lack of partying/ noise/ atmosphere is scary!!

ReputationRep:
    My halls has died I am now more or less the only person hee!! The car park and the street is usually full of cars but now there's absolutely no cars at all!! Walked down the main 'high street' and it was completely dead!!! :eek: I want to go home as it's too errie but I've got too much work to do!!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone elses halls / student area turned into a ghost town?

ReputationRep:
    I live on campus and whilst it isn't a ghost town, it is definitely a lot quieter than normal.

There are still staff members around during the week and a lot of international students but that is about it. Almost all of the bars are closed and the rest of the shops have reduced opening hours.

I don't even have the flat to myself this time. I did during the Christmas holidays, but this time two of my flatmates [both international students] are staying throughout...

I haven't really noticed a difference elsewhere [Lancaster city centre, Morecambe, Galgate etc].

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.