Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Foundation, Concealer & Powder recommendations? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My foundation and concealer have both ran out, at the same time. So I am in desperate need of another.

What I was using before was no good, when applied it made no difference at all to my skin and it was ridiculous! I was using the Max Factor Colour Adapt and Garnier Tinted Eye Roll On.

I have fairly pale skin, my Max Factor was in Creamy Ivory and I remember my old Maybelline Matte Mousse was also in ivory. I also have normal/dry skin. It's not really that dry, but it can be a little in winter.

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Thank you

ReputationRep:

Works wonders.

ReputationRep:
    go for something MAC. they've got loads of shades and I tend to find them really good
    also bourjois healthy mix is good,smells lovely and it's cheap
    clinique gentle light powder is another personal fave
    and benefit boi-ing concealer hides everything!!

ReputationRep:
    If you're after a light coverage foundation I'd go with something like Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect or MAC Face & Body. If you're after a little more coverage then something like Bourjois Healthy Mix is great. Concealer wise I really recommend Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection if you can find a shade to match your skin. Although it doesn't have the best range of colours the coverage and formula is incredible for such an affordable concealer.

ReputationRep:
    Loreal true colour match is good, ive found the mineral powder foundation is better than the liquid one in coverage and adapting to your skin tone, and the concealer they do as well is really good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Nerd)
    My foundation and concealer have both ran out, at the same time. So I am in desperate need of another.

What I was using before was no good, when applied it made no difference at all to my skin and it was ridiculous! I was using the Max Factor Colour Adapt and Garnier Tinted Eye Roll On.

I have fairly pale skin, my Max Factor was in Creamy Ivory and I remember my old Maybelline Matte Mousse was also in ivory. I also have normal/dry skin. It's not really that dry, but it can be a little in winter.

Thank you
    I have pale skin tooo, I use maybelline dream satin liquid foundation it's good! about 7 pounds, and if you have the money to treat yourself, benefit 'boing' concealer is actually amazing!

ReputationRep:
    i agree that loreal true match is really good, not too pricey either, i haven't tried their concealers though. but they have reaaaally good colour ranges (lots of pale too) & it kinda gives your skin a bit of an airbrushed look and it's really easy to apply so you don't need tonnes of time to put it on nicely. but if you have dry skin you do have to moisturise it first because i found it could cling to drier bits.

what kind of coverage are you after?

ReputationRep:
    Bourjois is the best foundation I've ever used

ReputationRep:
    I like Bourjois too, but unfortunately on pale skin the 10 Hour sleep effect one can look a little orange, even at the palest shade.

I switched from this to Estee Lauder Double Wear. It's gorgeous, will not come off, and you most probably won't need a powder over it.

ReputationRep:
    You should try Mac pro longwear foundation in 15, either NC or NW (one of them is more pink based which will be better for your pale skin but I cant remember which one!) It lasts for so long, and you dont need a powder over it either because its already got it in it. The body shop pencil concealer is the best one ive ever used, it lasts the whole day without having to re-apply

ReputationRep:
    Avon Ideal Shade concealer in fair. It's the only makeup I wear [admittedly I haven't worn it for about 2 months though..] but it works wonders! As with all other foundations/concealers etc you have to apply a small amount of moisturiser beforehand but the colour is brilliant even though I'm paler than white haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    go for something MAC. they've got loads of shades and I tend to find them really good
    also bourjois healthy mix is good,smells lovely and it's cheap
    clinique gentle light powder is another personal fave
    and benefit boi-ing concealer hides everything!!
    I've heard really good things about MAC, but the nearest MAC counters not that near :/ I really do want to buy some MAC stuff though :love:

(Original post by tea_cakes)
    If you're after a light coverage foundation I'd go with something like Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect or MAC Face & Body. If you're after a little more coverage then something like Bourjois Healthy Mix is great. Concealer wise I really recommend Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection if you can find a shade to match your skin. Although it doesn't have the best range of colours the coverage and formula is incredible for such an affordable concealer.
    I'll check that out thanks

(Original post by ahoward)
    Loreal true colour match is good, ive found the mineral powder foundation is better than the liquid one in coverage and adapting to your skin tone, and the concealer they do as well is really good!
    Ooh, okay i'll have a look at that

(Original post by almxo)
    I have pale skin tooo, I use maybelline dream satin liquid foundation it's good! about 7 pounds, and if you have the money to treat yourself, benefit 'boing' concealer is actually amazing!
    I'm quite interested in all the benefit stuff, I think I'm in love with it all

(Original post by starryeyed)
    i agree that loreal true match is really good, not too pricey either, i haven't tried their concealers though. but they have reaaaally good colour ranges (lots of pale too) & it kinda gives your skin a bit of an airbrushed look and it's really easy to apply so you don't need tonnes of time to put it on nicely. but if you have dry skin you do have to moisturise it first because i found it could cling to drier bits.

what kind of coverage are you after?
    Ideally medium-full coverage, medium should be fine really.

(Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Bourjois is the best foundation I've ever used
    Which one from Bourjois?

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I like Bourjois too, but unfortunately on pale skin the 10 Hour sleep effect one can look a little orange, even at the palest shade.

I switched from this to Estee Lauder Double Wear. It's gorgeous, will not come off, and you most probably won't need a powder over it.
    I was tested for a foundation from Lancome, the teinte miracle (sp?) and it was the second to lightest shade she gave me a tester for, as she said I was the lightest shade wasn't in stock. It was a nice colour in the tube/pot but then it managed to go really dark and orange on my skin! It was awful! :mad:

ReputationRep:

I was tested for a foundation from Lancome, the teinte miracle (sp?) and it was the second to lightest shade she gave me a tester for, as she said I was the lightest shade wasn't in stock. It was a nice colour in the tube/pot but then it managed to go really dark and orange on my skin! It was awful! :mad:
    It's the oxidation of the ingredients that causes the orange tint. The best thing to do is try some on your jawline, then go outside and look at it again in the sunlight a few minutes later.

I think MAC looks orange on people. The woman at the MAC stall is always extremely orange though so maybe she's just not being a very good advert.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    ohhh that's a shame :/ mine is too worth the travel though!definitely recommend having a look if you get chance they'll give samples and stuff as well so you get the right shades etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.