Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at courses at different uni's and these 3 courses are the ones im interested in.

I do Leisure, Business and Applied ICT at A-Level, so no physics or maths. What courses/uni's would you recommend for me, and what are each of these courses in a nutshell?

Also is digital forensics similar to ethical hacking?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    CS > Computing >>>> Ethical Hacking (How on earth that can be spread over a three year course is beyond me)

That said with your A-levels I'd rule CS out, there are a few who would accept you without Maths/Physics subjects, but... well, all three of your other subjects are all seen as "less preferred".

Computing may be an option, which is, in a nutshell, Computer Science in lesser detail (Although beware: Some Unis describe their CS course as simply Computing)

ReputationRep:
    It is very hard to say, since you have no maths, further maths or physics. the only university which i can think of is the Open University, Greenwhich, London South Bank, Goldsmiths (low chance, but still possible)

ReputationRep:
    I would do Computer Science, and then just pick ethical hacking related modules in the 2nd and 3rd years if you're set on that. Hacking is not an easy topic, it's always changing and developing, and I'd say it's better to risk it with one or two modules than a whole course.

ReputationRep:
    You can't do CS without Maths. Even then, Further Maths and Physics/Chemistry are highly desirable. A course in Ethical Hacking sounds like a total joke and is completely different to CS.

CS is algorithms and logical/Mathematical thinking. Ethical Hacking is IT based.

If you really want to get in to penetration testing, you're better off getting a degree in IT or CS, then studying for certifications like CHECK Team Member, or CCNA Security+ (Any certification by Cisco is highly desirable).

I haven't looked at Digital Forensics, but I think it's an okay degree.

ReputationRep:
    CS encompasses both of the others
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Computer Science definitely, but then looking at your subjects, realistically, it may have to be Computing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.