Turn on thread page Beta

Why do students have such terrible posture? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I walk around 6 miles each day to and from uni carrying heavy text books, if you want to pay someone to carry them for me so I can improve my posture, feel free, otherwise, quit moaning!
    Why does carrying textbooks mean you have to have poor posture? If your body was in it's natural alignment it would be easier.

Also, why do you need to pay someone to improve your posture? What's stopping you learning and doing it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racaha)
    SHERLOCK! :lovedup:
    Haha yess :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    I wouldn't do it on my own kids obviously, there's probably all sorts of legislation preventing it!
    This worlds become far to sensitive. I don't care what people say, when I have kids and they misbehave, they're getting a smack. If they're being bullied, I'll teach em to fight, not cry to a teacher. Ah, what happened to the good old days...

Edit: forgot about the point of this thread for me, it's being behind a desk for over 12 hours each day.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, it's because the bag I carry round is enormous because I have to carry that much stuff to school :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlobberDobber)
    Personally, it's because the bag I carry round is enormous because I have to carry that much stuff to school :')
    Why does that mean you have to slouch? If your body was in it's proper alignment it would be easier and cause less stress and strain on your body.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Spending so much time hunched over work or a PC does that to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    Why does that mean you have to slouch? If your body was in it's proper alignment it would be easier and cause less stress and strain on your body.
    Because my bag is that heavy it pulls my body to one side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Just realised I've been doing that a lot the last few days because I study for so long everyday omg i'll fail further maths
    hahaha, is there a correlation between studying long hours and failing further math? if anything, studying alot should get you a good grade...
    right ppl? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlobberDobber)
    Because my bag is that heavy it pulls my body to one side
    That's why you should have a bag that goes over both shoulders. Otherwise this can lead to scoliosis and other back and other problems later in life.

Invest in your future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    I don't apparently
    My great nan's way of improving posture was to strap a piece of wood to my back whilst sitting down. It's a family tradition according to my Nanna. It worked though

I wouldn't do it on my own kids obviously, there's probably all sorts of legislation preventing it!
    I love your sig!

ReputationRep:
    constantly sitting infront of computer/desk/console.....

it messes you up

ReputationRep:
    Why does carrying textbooks mean you have to have poor posture? If your body was in it's natural alignment it would be easier.

Also, why do you need to pay someone to improve your posture? What's stopping you learning and doing it yourself?
    Because when I'm walking I'm either leaning forward to carry them on my back, or to the side to counterbalance the side I carry them on. Doing this for 2 terms has given me bad back problems and a permanently slouched posture.
    I never said to pay someone to improve my posture. I said pay someone to carry my things for me, so my back and my posture can have a chance to improve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Just realised I've been doing that a lot the last few days because I study for so long everyday omg i'll fail further maths
    Dude! Im doing fp2 and M3 now. That **** is HARD! good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    Because when I'm walking I'm either leaning forward to carry them on my back, or to the side to counterbalance the side I carry them on. Doing this for 2 terms has given me bad back problems and a permanently slouched posture.
    I never said to pay someone to improve my posture. I said pay someone to carry my things for me, so my back and my posture can have a chance to improve
    You talk about it like you can't do anything about your slouched posture though. Walking whilst carrying things doesn't make you slouch all the time, that's the result of not consciously caring.

ReputationRep:
    My breasts are heavy :ahee:

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superlogon)
    I disagree. im a horse rdier and 18. people always comment on my posture. I think if you just get into the habit you can improve really well.
    You can ride on my horse, any day.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the stools in science lessons.

ReputationRep:
    You talk about it like you can't do anything about your slouched posture though. Walking whilst carrying things doesn't make you slouch all the time, that's the result of not consciously caring.
    My things are so heavy, if I don't slouch and lean to one side, I lose my balance and fall over... And my back gets so bad due to this, it causes me physical pain to not slouch or lean.
    I used to have excellent posture as a dressage rider and because I had etiquette lessons which worked on posture given to me at school. It's not just 'laziness' that causes slouching.

ReputationRep:
    I gave in to peer pressure. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    It's the weight of the world on their shoulders, crushing them down as they desperately try to cope with the burdens of student life & the countdown to unemployment ticking ever closer.

Also hangovers; slouching encourages more sympathy than sitting upright.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.