The Student Room Group

A-Levels you regretted taking.

What subject did you find rigorously difficult.
Might it be anything from Chemistry, Physics or even Maths!

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry.
I dropped it after AS, but I'd still rather have done something else.. maybe further maths, or music :smile:
Reply 2
History -.-
Dropped after AS.
In hindsight I could have done my A levels differently and had more fun in the process.
Although, I might not have been as interested in geography if I had dropped it at AS...then on the other hand, A2 geography was pretty dire with the exception of one module (which I guess I could have sat in on out of interest in the subject)
Reply 3
Chemistry. I took it because I wanted to go into astrophysics at the time when I chose my a-levels, and I thought it might go with my other options, even though I didn't like it. It turned out that I wanted to do maths instead, and there was no need to do chemistry - I spent every lesson bored to death and dropped it the first lesson after the exam :awesome: I wish I'd done History instead, or even better, only done 4 subjects to AS and spent the rest of the time actually getting enough sleep.
The classic: Media Studies - wish I had taken Maths instead.
I regretted taking maths. I was good at it at gcse, and was encouraged to take it at a-level. But i failed it miserably.
Reply 6
not because i find them hard, but if i could choose my subjects again i would drop business and media, probably picking up biology/psychology/english.
Reply 7
Well I regretted Psychology. I found it difficult to motivate myself in it, particularly in the second year of A levels. It wasn't at all relevant to what I wanted to do, and I found the A level pretty badly designed. It was so boring just memorising loads of stuff. I also had a hard time convincing admissions tutors that an A level in Psychology would help me with degree level geology :lol:. Wish I'd done chemistry instead.
Reply 8
english lit! OMG i thought i enjoyed reading before doing it 24/7 :-(
Reply 9
Maths and Physics.

Dropped maths at the end of AS level, wish I could drop Physics now :frown:
Reply 10
Maths: took it as I was encouraged by my GCSE Maths teacher, who told me I had a 'gift'. Ended up dropping it at Christmas in my 1st year. So hard, kudos to everyone who scores high in it, I couldn't manage it.

Film Studies: took it because it was my dream to become a screenwriter. The only time screenwriter was mentioned was when the teacher praised Shane Meadows's This Is England script. Completely misunderstood the subject, even when the college open day teacher said that all aspects of film making would be covered- yeah ****ing right. Completed the first year, dropped it afterwards- big disappointment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Well, I was convinced I wanted to do Maths at Uni; so chose A Level Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Business Economics. But now I've dropped Computing.

But now I'm going to do economics at A Level, I wish rather than Computing and Further Maths I'd done Sociology, Politics or Applied ICT. Would have put me at an advantage applying to Uni.... but never mind. I've got some pretty good offers tbh.
Reply 12
Theology (Religious Studies, Philosophy and Ethics)

Not actually going to get me anywhere in life unless I want to teach RE or become a religious leader. Completely irrelevant subject for getting a job.
Psychology. Twisted ****.
General Studies - I was already taking 4 A-Levels and even though I was told it was nearly worthless since no good university accepts it (and most jobs) I still wanted it as a fifth A-Level. It was nearly a complete waste of time in the end.
i regretted carrying on biology
I really regret taking History - I really enjoyed it at GCSE but didn't realise just how much more difficult it became at A Level, and how boring my teachers were. I really wish I'd done Music instead, or even something completely different like Economics. I was too narrow-minded when I chose my options!
I really wish I had carried on with history instead of maths.
Psychology...I was planning to drop it but I ended up getting an A at AS and so I thought i'd better carry on with it. Or rather my mum did. Pfft. Hated it.
Reply 19
Chemistry and Maths.
Maths I could have dropped after AS but stupidly didn't.
Chemistry I need to do vetmed

Quick Reply

Latest