Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Government and Politics- flukiest exam ever, it's made my AS grades come out at ABCE, being good at politics (debating, policy formulation etc.) has no relation to the grade you get.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you Yr11s/12s who are looking on here going shiiiiiiiit everybody hates my subjects.... true. Collectively pretty much all subjects are hated on here, the most featured appears to be Maths/Further Maths/ Biology/ Chemistry and Physics.
    There is good reason for the high numbers of people hating them.... they are so poorly advised at the end of GCSE. Most would agree they were coerced into these subjects by schools who want to prove they have high science A level numbers.

Doing A Levels is one massive scam, at the end of GCSE they look at your grades and go yh he'll/she'll love that cos he/she got a good grade at GCSE, Bollucks! They could not be more wrong. I got an A at GCSE ICT and haaated it, in fact on the back of my GCSE exam (which was a piece of piss) where there is 'extra paper' i wrote a 3 page essay explicitly explaining how pointless it was and how useless my teachers were. The invigilator who picked up my paper saw this and had a massive go at me afterwards. LOL. Though the A wiped that smug 'you're going to fail' grin off my teachers leathery face.

I only took A levels where i got an A or higher at GCSE, i suggest you do the same (particularly if considering sciences).
    Put it this way i got an A comfortably at GCSE Chemistry and just managed to scrape a D at A2 (mind you A Level Chemistry is like repeatedly being baashed over the head with the periodic table and having equilibria theories shouted at you). ONLY do Chemistry at A level if you have been dead set on Medicine at University since you were young, otherwise you will start and you will realise its criminally difficult and f***s with your head and is not essential unless of course you plan to do straight chem at Uni in which case best of luck.

I got an A* in Maths GCSE and (despite getting an E in stats) got a C overall at AS. (Glad i dropped it stats was the biggest pile of bulls***)

A in Biology GCSE transformed to C at A2. Tbh that wasnt entirely down to me that was down to the fact i had 2 sh** f***tard teachers. One of which stopped turning up to lessons by March, didnt tell us about the 25 mark essay question and therefore we got no prep in it, cocked up our practical and didnt complete the course. I was saved by another biol teacher who actually gives a sh** and was lucky to get a C.

The only A level i chose that i really really enjoyed was PE. If you enjoyed it at GCSE i seriously suggest you take it at A level. Also biology students who are sporty this is a great idea, as despite my biol teacher not completing the course i had covered most of it in PE.
    Im not doing PE at uni and i never planned to but PE was the one decision that i never regretted, it was fun and provided you're gifted in at least 1 sport and you're willing to work harder than you might have expected for PE then you'll love it. It helps if you have a young and fun department.
    Got an A at GCSE and a B at A2 (Could have done significantly better if i hadnt only spent 1 day revising due to f****** Chemistry + Biology resits)

There is always going to be somebody who hates a subject and they will have a very valid reason that may sound potentially applicable to you, but every experience is different. If you have a good school who cares about their students they will invest their time in you.

My school was poor for the past 2 years as the whole thing was being knocked down and rebuilt in stages, the old head was leaving and the new head meant all the Senior staff turned into A**holes who didnt turn up to lessons to make other work look more important.
    I also had a head of 6th who can only be described kindly as a f****** incompetent waste of space.

If any of you are Waingels College students in yr 11 leave now while you still can, they dont care about their 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies. Its pure garbage compared to my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Bluten hell, I hated history AS
    Boring content, essays which I left at 3AM the morning they were due, the note taking, the stuffy room, the rubbish teacher- but that is only my opinion of what I thought of the subject. Others may enjoy it.
    I have dropped it, for a further maths A2- i am more mathematical, so it will hopefully suit me more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catterz)
    For those of you Yr11s/12s who are looking on here going shiiiiiiiit everybody hates my subjects.... true. Collectively pretty much all subjects are hated on here, the most featured appears to be Maths/Further Maths/ Biology/ Chemistry and Physics.
    There is good reason for the high numbers of people hating them.... they are so poorly advised at the end of GCSE. Most would agree they were coerced into these subjects by schools who want to prove they have high science A level numbers.

Doing A Levels is one massive scam, at the end of GCSE they look at your grades and go yh he'll/she'll love that cos he/she got a good grade at GCSE, Bollucks! They could not be more wrong. I got an A at GCSE ICT and haaated it, in fact on the back of my GCSE exam (which was a piece of piss) where there is 'extra paper' i wrote a 3 page essay explicitly explaining how pointless it was and how useless my teachers were. The invigilator who picked up my paper saw this and had a massive go at me afterwards. LOL. Though the A wiped that smug 'you're going to fail' grin off my teachers leathery face.

I only took A levels where i got an A or higher at GCSE, i suggest you do the same (particularly if considering sciences).
    Put it this way i got an A comfortably at GCSE Chemistry and just managed to scrape a D at A2 (mind you A Level Chemistry is like repeatedly being baashed over the head with the periodic table and having equilibria theories shouted at you). ONLY do Chemistry at A level if you have been dead set on Medicine at University since you were young, otherwise you will start and you will realise its criminally difficult and f***s with your head and is not essential unless of course you plan to do straight chem at Uni in which case best of luck.

I got an A* in Maths GCSE and (despite getting an E in stats) got a C overall at AS. (Glad i dropped it stats was the biggest pile of bulls***)

A in Biology GCSE transformed to C at A2. Tbh that wasnt entirely down to me that was down to the fact i had 2 sh** f***tard teachers. One of which stopped turning up to lessons by March, didnt tell us about the 25 mark essay question and therefore we got no prep in it, cocked up our practical and didnt complete the course. I was saved by another biol teacher who actually gives a sh** and was lucky to get a C.

The only A level i chose that i really really enjoyed was PE. If you enjoyed it at GCSE i seriously suggest you take it at A level. Also biology students who are sporty this is a great idea, as despite my biol teacher not completing the course i had covered most of it in PE.
    Im not doing PE at uni and i never planned to but PE was the one decision that i never regretted, it was fun and provided you're gifted in at least 1 sport and you're willing to work harder than you might have expected for PE then you'll love it. It helps if you have a young and fun department.
    Got an A at GCSE and a B at A2 (Could have done significantly better if i hadnt only spent 1 day revising due to f****** Chemistry + Biology resits)

There is always going to be somebody who hates a subject and they will have a very valid reason that may sound potentially applicable to you, but every experience is different. If you have a good school who cares about their students they will invest their time in you.

My school was poor for the past 2 years as the whole thing was being knocked down and rebuilt in stages, the old head was leaving and the new head meant all the Senior staff turned into A**holes who didnt turn up to lessons to make other work look more important.
    I also had a head of 6th who can only be described kindly as a f****** incompetent waste of space.

If any of you are Waingels College students in yr 11 leave now while you still can, they dont care about their 6th form.
    shut up meg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielpickwick)
    shut up meg.
    ^^ LOVE THIS! :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    Physics. Wanted to intially do Dentistry, thought doing 3 sciences would put me in a better position. It didn't. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    PHYSICS! WASTE OF MY TIME!

No disrespect intended to you physicist out there.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology. :'( Not difficult, just I studied my arse off and still got a D. It just doesn't go well with me. :<

ReputationRep:
    Definantly psychology...even though i did really good in it with hardly any revision(any revision i did was very passive and relaxed) and i still got an A..so i have to keep it at A2!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - it's not worth the torture unless you need it for uni

ReputationRep:
    CHEMISTRY, i found it harder than maths, further maths and physics

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is the toughest AS-level whereas additional further maths is the hardest A2.. IMO

ReputationRep:
    Photography
    3D Art
    ICT.

None of them were hard, i just couldn't be arsed with them.Wanted to do engineering/maths/physics in 6th form but they wouldn't let me :/ So they picked me those. 2 years of my life wasted

ReputationRep:
    English Language

ReputationRep:
    history. Didn't do it for GCSE, and my goodness it is hard :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Bluten hell, I hated history AS
    Boring content, essays which I left at 3AM the morning they were due, the note taking, the stuffy room, the rubbish teacher- but that is only my opinion of what I thought of the subject. Others may enjoy it.
    I have dropped it, for a further maths A2- i am more mathematical, so it will hopefully suit me more
    I did this even though I loved history :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I regret taking any to be honest. I just hated A Levels and they did me no good. In hindsight, I'm thinking I may have had a bit of a happier life if I had left school after GCSEs to do something else like full time work or a vocational course, then maybe return to college at 19 to do an access course and then go to uni. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would just be do something you're really interested in regardless of whether you think it will be too easy/hard or looked down/up upon.

I did Maths, Physics, Law and Economics and carried them all on to A2 however I hated Physics, I only really chose it because I thought it was a "good" A level to have and German wasn't available at my college which is what I really wanted to do. I spent the whole 2 years mind numbingly bored and unmotivated as I just wasn't interested in it and although I ended up with a good grade in it I would much of preffered to do something like Politics/History etc.

Regarding Maths - yes it is REALLY hard, I spent most of the time panicking about the exams, madly revising and convincing myself I had failed however I love Maths and I had a great teacher so I really enjoyed it even though it was hard work.

When it came to Economics and Law I loved them, and did really well, in both of them from the start. I took Economics with only a slight interest in it and now I'm going to be doing Economics at University when I always assumed I would be doing Law. When it came to Law I sometimes regretted it because it isn't so much a respected A level but since I did 4 A2s I don't think it matters that much plus it was a much more enjoyable experience than doing Physics which is a much more respected subject.

IN SHORT: Do what you really enjoy and not what you think other people think you should do!

Wow, who knew I had so much to say about A Level choices

ReputationRep:
    English Language and Psychology.

At least my class and teacher for English were good and Psychology first year my class were great but second year I was one of the few to get moved to different Psychology class due to a timetable clash (which was a ****ing enrichment, an enrichment I didn't even want to take!). A2 Psychology was dreadful. Not saying it was hard. I spent the whole year not doing much cos I found it so hard to motivate myself but still walked out with a B overall. I know I would've nailed it and got an A had I stayed in the same class though. Got 90% first year.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.