Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I loved Psychology but the teachers in my second year were pointless.

Maths was okay but it would help if teachers were a bit more enthusiastic about the subject and actually tried to help students understand what was going on rather than having us memorise everything.

English Lit. I've only done the AS and despite loving it and trying my best, I only got a C.

History is the epic pain. At GCSE, I didn't pay attention in lessons since the teacher just read off powerpoints and we scribbled cartoons to each other. I thought A Level was going to be the same. it kinda is. Our teacher just sends us off to the library to do research every lesson and then we have to write an essay. I don't even like the classes. Plus, the library's too small for you to try and sneak out of.

Uni better be more interesting than A Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingjulien)
    what percentage was the practical side in your a level and what examboard did you take it with?
    We do two practicals, together they make up 20% of the entire a-level. I got a D in my practical in my first year, and a U in my practical in my second year. Amazingly i still came out with a mid B in my whole a-level. I did aqa, which is nice if you enjoy getting raped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    We do two practicals, together they make up 20% of the entire a-level. I got a D in my practical in my first year, and a U in my practical in my second year. Amazingly i still came out with a mid B in my whole a-level. I did aqa, which is nice if you enjoy getting raped.
    Were the practicals that hard? Or was it just how they marked & moderated it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingjulien)
    Were the practicals that hard? Or was it just how they marked & moderated it?
    They were disgusting, my teacher didn't help us at all, but alot of teachers cheat for their students, so grade boundaries are stupidly high, which is really unfair. They were very strict with the marking i.e. if your triangle that you drew for the gradient was smaller than a certain size then you will get docked marks. It had very little to do with the course and was in my opinion a complete waste of time, and the reason i didn't get an A in physics.

ReputationRep:
    sociology-it just felt like lots and lots of peoples names and opinions by the end of last year.It took up alot of revision time that I could have used to revise biology.

ReputationRep:
    History and Classical Civilsation. Both were really difficult in terms of the content and how to write an 'A' grade essay. There was loads to learn and it was almost impossible to revise because of the level of detail required to write essays.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Agata)
    Is the history exam 2 hours long?
    I'm afraid I can't remember exactly. They were somewhere between 1h30m and 2h15m I think. And it varied for the two papers because one had source work.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology
    it was just soooo boring

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy! I was terrible at it. I only did the AS. I love thinking about and reading about and debating philosophical and ethical issues, but I am completely not cut out for the A-level.

I also regretted taking IT but I still maintain that it was a lot to do with the over-specific mark scheme; not saying I was brilliant, just that our whole school did poorly as did many other schools, so there was obviously something up.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Business and Accounting in the same combination. I have to drop one now otherwise I'm screwed for top unis.

ReputationRep:
    Chemsitry. The most disgusting year of my life.

ReputationRep:
    travel + tourism. NOT because it was a rubbish course or anything, mind!!!! but because of the other 5 as levels i sat in the first year i did not spend NEARLY enough time on coursework and revision for this course as the others

i reckon if i didnt do tourism as level, i could have had all 'a' grades from the other 5 subjects i did that year. instead i ended up getting a/b/c/c/c for the other 5, and only grade 'e' for tourism. lol however of the 4 i did take into second year i improved from a/b/c/c to a/a/b/b for final a-level, so not all terrible news in the end. at least i beat my brother's a-levels when he finished college a year before me!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    BIOLOGY.

Got a C :no:

ReputationRep:
    I took psychology and hateddddd it, people seem to either love or hate that subject. I found that I did better in the subjects I enjoyed, despite them being harder ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by empirehouse)
    Yh same !! Am doing maths at kent, what uni u doing it at?
    Its such an underrated subject and only thought that geeky boys are good at it......
    Im only in year 13 actually!! haha but maybe lancaster...

ReputationRep:
    Maths. :doh:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really regret taking them, because I enjoyed both subjects and got really good grades in them which I wouldn't have got if I'd have taken different subjects. But when people ask me at uni, oh what were your A-Levels? (I do History at Leeds uni) And I say, Double Award Art, Health and Social Care and History, needless to say it's a bit awkward. (mainly because everyone else is like ahhh I did Politics, English Lit etc etc..)

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, I found it really hard and ended up hating the subject with a passion. Had a good teacher though!

ReputationRep:
    Physics. Sod physics. I did hours of revision and still ended up with a U.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I hadn't taken Psychology AS last year, it was such a waste of time, I didn't revise for Unit 2 due to an accident I had and got a D in it, but still a C overall. I just found that I was absolutely not interested in it and my teacher and class were horrible

Needless to say, I dropped it I just wished I had taken Chemistry instead!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.