Turn on thread page Beta

How long does your car battery last with.. watch

ReputationRep:
    The engine off but the cd player on? My friend constantly has hers on without the engine running but her battery has only died once and this was due to accidentally leaving her lights on overnight, not the cd player. So I just wondered how long youve gotten away with? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    probably all night for a battery in reasonable condition...

I think the sound system would need to be absolutely deafening before it was developing an equivalent load to headlights.

ReputationRep:
    I may be sounding stupid, but once the battery runs flat, what's the procedure? Jump leads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    I may be sounding stupid, but once the battery runs flat, what's the procedure? Jump leads?
    Yeah, jump start or push start. I think push starting isn't great for a car, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgeeyena)
    Yeah, jump start or push start. I think push starting isn't great for a car, though.
    I've done far worse to my car :lol:

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens!

ReputationRep:
    I'd disconect the thing and trickle charge it for 6 hours.

RE original question i'd imagine it'd take about 2 days to fully discharge a battery.

ReputationRep:
    What will this damage, then?

ReputationRep:
    My mate has a 1200W sub attached to his battery, with a few hundred watt smaller woofers. Just wondering how long would it take to drain the battery now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I don't know. I'm an 18 year old girl, I've never felt the need to know the ins and outs of push starting a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    My mate has a 1200W sub attached to his battery, with a few hundred watt smaller woofers. Just wondering how long would it take to drain the battery now
    Remove the battery - tow the car to a scrapyard - crush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Can damage the cat converter.

Assuming a few is 4, so 400W drain, sub is at 1200W, maximum drain is 1.6kW @ 12V. So 133Ah would power the sub and speakers, at maximum load for an hour. I don't know, average car battery is about 60Ah? If we take a 65Ah battery, in theory you would discharge it in 30minutes at full drain. I would imagine before this, the police would come and tell you to turn it down for making such a racket however

ReputationRep:
    The cat convertor??? How, surely dumping the clutch so the gears and fly wheel catch is worse?

ReputationRep:
    i suppose it depends on the size of the battery and how draining your stereo is but from personal experience... last winter i left my car stereo on for around 4 hours and it was flat as a pancake when i come back to it... meaning i and 3 mates had to jump a 80 quid cab home and then i had to go back the day after with jump leads..quality night!

ReputationRep:
    Must = tiny penis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    The cat convertor??? How, surely dumping the clutch so the gears and fly wheel catch is worse?
    I don't know, that is what I am warned about in the Haynes manual and the owners manual for my car. At some point I will grab the manual, and type what it says.

ReputationRep:
    Broken starter motor on the way to a camping holiday meant I spent a week bump starting my car last summer. I've gotten the technique pretty nailed now

I've never flattened the battery in either of my cars as my head unit has a low voltage cut off to make sure it leaves enough charge in the battery to start you again. The Land Rover had a battery the size of a small island in it that went on for ever and ever and ever with stuff hooked up to it. The Morris one is rather more conservative however, and I wouldn't rate it to last that long if I were to leave it going without the engine running.

ReputationRep:
    I drove my car with no working alternator for several months, get 14 starts out of including driving between and lights on before battery goes flat. You will be surprised how much energy they can hold, even when it did go, time before it started on the motor fine and then suddenly didn't, bumped it and then drove home down some country lanes with no lights except for a torch out the window....oops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Can damage the cat converter.
    Cant see it myself. You only need to be going about 5 mph to bump start a car.

I regularly bump start my car just rolling off the drive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Cant see it myself. You only need to be going about 5 mph to bump start a car.

I regularly bump start my car just rolling off the drive!
    My mum once bump started her car when we lived on a very steep hill by.. Well, you can guess. I don't know whether I admire her or think she's a crazy s.o.b.

ReputationRep:
    My mum once bump started her car when we lived on a very steep hill by.. Well, you can guess. I don't know whether I admire her or think she's a crazy s.o.b.
    Like I say, you don't need to be going very quickly at all to bump start a car so long as you slip the clutch at the right time.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.