0%
    Indifferent - (Straight, non-homophobe)
    41.79%
    Indifferent - (Straight, homophobe)
    0%
    Indiffernt - Gay
    13.43%

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I know we've had this thread before, but I've just been thinking, those results were probably massively biased. It didn't take into account the sexual orientation of the respondents, or their position on gay people (ie homophobes or not). So I've done another poll.

Edit: Poll is now up

I understand that the likelihood of someone choosing Gay-(Straight, homophobe), or Indifferent (Straight, homophobe) is unlikely.

If you don't understand, the word on the left is the orientation of the child, and the words on the right are your sexual orientation, and position on gay people. For the purposes of this, I am assuming that all gay people are not homophobic, even though there are gay people that dislike gays.

Edit2: If you are bisexual, then class yourself in the gay section. If you are mostly straight but a tad bisexual, then class yourself straight. People should be clever enough to be able to class themselves.

You are obviously welcome to give reasons for your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    So I've done another poll.
    No you haven't.

Edit: poll is up now, but do we really need another one of these threads? They just turn into flame wars.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't WANT them to be gay, however if they did turn out to be gay then I think I'd be able respond appropriately.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm being honest, then no, I wouldn't want my son or daughter to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    Straight - I know how hard it is being gay and having homophobes around you

ReputationRep:
    Poll is up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    Straight - I know how hard it is being gay and having homophobes around you
    whos the homophobe now.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't u just want them to be happy? If your child wants to join the army, or become a fireman or bomb disposal expert, you don't maybe WANT that for them, but if it makes them happy, what more can u ask.
    I'd prefer my child was gay than live unhappily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    No you haven't.

Edit: poll is up now, but do we really need another one of these threads? They just turn into flame wars.
    yup the poll is up, I don't care if it's a flame war, I'm genuinely curious. Of the people who voted indifferent last time, how many were straight and how many were gay?

I'm not trying to be controversial, I'm really doing it for my own curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    Poll is up.
    There are more sexual preferences than 'gay' and 'straight', you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    There are more sexual preferences than 'gay' and 'straight', you know.
    Yes, but I'm not trying to conduct this scientifically or anything, I just want to know. If you are bisexual, then class yourself in the gay section. If you are mostly straight but a tad bisexual, then class yourself straight. People should be clever enough to be able to class themselves.

ReputationRep:
    People should be clever enough to be able to class themselves.
    People should be clever enough to know that people aren't meant to be 'classed'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    People should be clever enough to know that people aren't meant to be 'classed'.
    You should be clever enough to know that a line has to be drawn somewhere, and for the purposes of this rudimentary poll, it's common sense to make it straight or gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua_Harvey)
    whos the homophobe now.
    How the hell am I being a homophobe? I'm gay you douche. I said I'd rather have a straight child so it wouldn't have the hatred dumb ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Entertain him. You are just looking for an argument.

As for me, I would want my children straight, but definitely not homophobic. After all, a key part of life is understanding those around you.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I'd want my child to be happy. Whether that be gay or straight I don't care.

I expect it would be easier in todays society to be happier as a heterosexual, considering the prejudices surrounding homosexuality; but that's not to say it isn't possible to be happy and gay.

So yeah, as long as my child is happy i really don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I'm not trying to conduct this scientifically or anything, I just want to know. If you are bisexual, then class yourself in the gay section. If you are mostly straight but a tad bisexual, then class yourself straight. People should be clever enough to be able to class themselves.
    Clever enough to class themselves?
    So I should be clever enough to class myself as gay? But I'm not . . .?
    Doesn't take a genius too see why I pointed out your filly

If you mean gay and bisexual, put gay and bisexual. Bisexual people, funnily enough, regard themselves as bisexual, not gay.

ReputationRep:
    Straight - wouldn't actively want a gay kid but wouldn't care if they turned out to be gay.
    by this I mean I wouldn't wish for it in the same way you wish they are clever, healthy, hair colour etc. So wouldn't wish for it but wouldn't fear it either.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.