The Student Room Group

EPQ or Fourth A2 - for medicine?

Hi there I'm new here. :biggrin:

Well hope your all doing good. I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at AS and want to do medicine at uni. The option of taking up the EPQ (extended project qualification) has come up, although it would mean I can only do three A2's (which would be bio, chem and maths). I am confused as to what the university would appreciate more; an EPQ in a subject related to medicine and the human body, or a fourth A2 in Economics (which I am predicted A* for)? My predicted grades in the other three are AA*A* respectively, which takes pressure off my A* in Eco.

Advice would be appreciated. Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by tooslyk
Hi there I'm new here. :biggrin:

Well hope your all doing good. I am currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics at AS and want to do medicine at uni. The option of taking up the EPQ (extended project qualification) has come up, although it would mean I can only do three A2's (which would be bio, chem and maths). I am confused as to what the university would appreciate more; an EPQ in a subject related to medicine and the human body, or a fourth A2 in Economics (which I am predicted A* for)? My predicted grades in the other three are AA*A* respectively, which takes pressure off my A* in Eco.

Advice would be appreciated. Many thanks!

taking 4 A2's doesnt give you any more of an advantage. I'm doing 4 A2's, did an EPQ and am a medicine applicant.. tbh they look for ''commitment to medicine'' so i would recommend doing an EPQ in a medicine related subject, but if it's going to take time out of your life where you could be doing work experience i wouldn't do it. They prefer work experience over extra (un-needed) academic requirements.

Personally i loved doing an EPQ because it definitely gives you something to talk about at the interview and it shows you can commit yourself to doing something other than schoolwork and you can get a lot out of it. Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 2
All I can say is that EPQ shows independent study skills which universities really like because the style of learning at uni is very different to the style of learning at school. Also the EPQ would mean you could do it on an area of medicine, allowing you to show that you are really interested in the subject.... and good at it if you get a good mark.
Hi, likewise I am too predicted A*A*A*A, would it better dropping economics to do EPQ?? Alright tooslyk..
Reply 4
Original post by cor_fortis
taking 4 A2's doesnt give you any more of an advantage. I'm doing 4 A2's, did an EPQ and am a medicine applicant.. tbh they look for ''commitment to medicine'' so i would recommend doing an EPQ in a medicine related subject, but if it's going to take time out of your life where you could be doing work experience i wouldn't do it. They prefer work experience over extra (un-needed) academic requirements.

Personally i loved doing an EPQ because it definitely gives you something to talk about at the interview and it shows you can commit yourself to doing something other than schoolwork and you can get a lot out of it. Good luck!! :smile:

Thanks for your reply.

With regards to what you did, do you think doing 3 A2's + EPQ will put me at a disadvantage to those doing 4 A2's (and an EPQ)? I'm just not sure about the fourht A2. I know unis and people always say the fourth A2 does not put you at a better chance, but is it actually true?
Reply 5
Original post by tooslyk
Thanks for your reply.

With regards to what you did, do you think doing 3 A2's + EPQ will put me at a disadvantage to those doing 4 A2's (and an EPQ)? I'm just not sure about the fourht A2. I know unis and people always say the fourth A2 does not put you at a better chance, but is it actually true?

It makes absolutely no difference. their attitude to a fourth A2 level (and EPQ) is generally: "Oh, you've done more than was necessary. good for you."

Sometimes its a disadvantage doing 4A2's because it can effect you're grades in the end due to extra exams etc.. they advise to do only 3 A2's because (for example) getting AAA is better than getting AABB or whatever.. but if you have the time, and the patients, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest