Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well,

Im in desperate need of help. I am in YEAR 9 and I already chose my GCSEs. I chose ICT over Texitiles.

However, I really like Textiles, my teacher loves me and says that I could easily get an A* and also I find the subject easy and Im good at it. Its a very relaxing subject.

In ICT, my teacher barely knows my name and, I really don't like the whole spreadsheet stuff. I the classwork. But I'm good with computers , like web designing (HTML that stuff) . My teacher said that I'm at a B so far. Also, I will be doing CIDA so it will be 2 years , full course , 100% coursework and at the end it will be worth 2 GCSEs.

I want to be a Surgeon, in the future. My sister says that for all jobs they want ICT skills and ICT GCSE is important and more better than Textiles.

However, my textiles teacher argues that I have chosen all the acedemic subjects and I need a subject that I liked and that if I want to change my mind then I have to do it quick before the timetables are made.

This is what I chose:
    (Maths , English (& lit) , RE are compulsory)
    -Triple Science
    -Geography
    -ICT
    -French
    -Fastrack Statistics
    (Also this year Im already doing BTEC performing arts)

What do you think I should take if I wanted to get into Medicine. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I done CIDA aswell, hell at the moment because I have to hand it in soon. Every lesson was jsut browsing the net etc, but do a bit everyday and its an easy GCSE.

Coming form a boy, im not sure what textiles is like, but do what you enjoy as GCSE's are not very important but again, ICt you get 2 GCSE'S

(Original post by shamima37)
    Well,

Im in desperate need of help. I am in YEAR 9 and I already chose my GCSEs. I chose ICT over Texitiles.

However, I really like Textiles, my teacher loves me and says that I could easily get an A* and also I find the subject easy and Im good at it. Its a very relaxing subject.

In ICT, my teacher barely knows my name and, I really don't like the whole spreadsheet stuff. I the classwork. But I'm good with computers , like web designing (HTML that stuff) . My teacher said that I'm at a B so far. Also, I will be doing CIDA so it will be 2 years , full course , 100% coursework and at the end it will be worth 2 GCSEs.

I want to be a Surgeon, in the future. My sister says that for all jobs they want ICT skills and ICT GCSE is important and more better than Textiles.

However, my textiles teacher argues that I have chosen all the acedemic subjects and I need a subject that I liked and that if I want to change my mind then I have to do it quick before the timetables are made.

This is what I chose:
    (Maths , English (& lit) , RE are compulsory)
    -Triple Science
    -Geography
    -ICT
    -French
    -Fastrack Statistics
    (Also this year Im already doing BTEC performing arts)

What do you think I should take if I wanted to get into Medicine. :confused:
    Do ICT You will need it for medicine

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get into Medicine, then it'd be best to choose ICT. ICT skills are extremely useful and colleges and stuff always look for good ICT skills whereas a GCSE in textiles won't really help much.

But really, that's only looking at it from a technical point of view. If you really like textiles, then go for it. But don't go for it just for an easy A*. Do it if you really enjoy it but while an A* is an A*, something like Medicine is really competitive and they'll look at your GCSE results and they'd not only look for ICT but I guess they'd kinda be underwhelmed by textiles.

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGH I my school for making me choose between ICT and Textiles.

I LOVE <3 TEXTILES.

But then looking at it from another view ICT is so much better on your CV and for college. I know. Im sure that I will get a A* in GCSE but I will have to work my butt off though.

ICT being 100% coursework would that be too stressfull?

I feel like crying....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamima37)
    ARRRGH I my school for making me choose between ICT and Textiles.

I LOVE <3 TEXTILES.

But then looking at it from another view ICT is so much better on your CV and for college. I know. Im sure that I will get a A* in GCSE but I will have to work my butt off though.

ICT being 100% coursework would that be too stressfull?

I feel like crying....
    The 100% coursework isn't too bad. You get a lot of time to do it and it'd only be stressful if you're disorganised and lack control over your time. Procrastination is the enemy here but if you avoid procrastinating, it's quite easy. And with it being all coursework, you can get a lot of help online! It's not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Two years and CIDA? I done two years and got a distinction CIDA+, I'm in Year 11 and we just finished the 3rd unit last month, people already starting the fourth unit but I just cba, would rather revise for most of my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    ICT isn't necessarily a necessity for Medicine, but my advice, do take ICT! Its a vital skill that is becoming such a sought out qualification, that some schools make it compulsary. ICT is compulsary at my school, and I say do it! Also, a variety of subject choices is important, seeing as you are already doing a creative qualification (performing arts), you should do ICT so you can offer a wider variety of skills instead of another creative outlet (textiles).
    Don't worry, if you love sewing, you can still pick it up at Med school (with the exception that you will be stitching people up instead :P )
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Probably doesn't matter. Choose which ever you prefer. But ICT may come useful in the future just in everyday life.

ReputationRep:
    ok well i dont know what it will be like in your school...but if i had to chose my GCSEs again i would not chhoose textiles... It is so much paperwork you would not believe!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.