Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering. So far I have found chemistry AS level pretty easy and I'm wondering how big the step-up is as most say it is the hardest A Level. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the most difficult), how would you rank AS and A2 Chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    I'm just wondering. So far I have found chemistry AS level pretty easy and I'm wondering how big the step-up is as most say it is the hardest A Level. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the most difficult), how would you rank AS and A2 Chemistry?
    A2 chemistry is somewhat more challenging. (I do AQA)

You cover more topics, there are many more concepts and mechanisms that you need to understand and apply, some of the topic you need to memorize all sorts of reactions and colour changes etc

ReputationRep:
    Many pupils will get one grade less on A2 work than AS work, so see what you get on AS and expect to get about 10% less when you do the A2 course!

ReputationRep:
    I have notice very little difference. This is probably because A) I have bevome used to Chemistry and am numb to the difficulty of it and B) because I am working at a more consistent level.

I find A2 far more synoptic where you have to bring elements from across the whole unit (plus AS) together. Got an A last year and need to sustain that!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not much different. Just more to learn. But not more difficult. I say easier because its less application and more recall as they have more to assess you on. That's for unit four anyway. Unit five is difficuult. I do edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR (Syllabus A) and found it a MASSIVE step up.

After 2 weeks of A2 I dropped it, BUT I wasn't great at Chemistry in the first place, and didn't really enjoy it much.

If you're good at it and enjoy it, it shouldn't be too hard.

For reference, I got a C at AS and on the few end of unit tests for A2 I did, I was getting an E/U.......

ReputationRep:
    The step up is huge. I think back to when I found the organic in AS hard to remember and just laugh at myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.