Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a guy. I've been friends with X for over 5 years, pretty much since the start of university we've hung out with each other, done stuff together, been through good and bad times.

X has (i think) anxiety problems and goes to see a therapist every week or so. However everything so far has been fine. He's bisexual, I'm straight/asexual and recently he confessed to me that he loved me, but knew that i couldn't love him back. I told him that he was right, and that I couldn't love him back, but i was flattered.

Everything seemed fine, he said that he would try and get over me. One day however, he comes up to me and says that to get over me he needs to know that we are good friends and that I need to show him a "gesture of love" (his own words) to prove it. Apparently this is like "friend love", not romantic love. His therapist had apparently asked him whether he thought we were good friends, or whether i was just using him.

This seemed pretty ridiculous to me, and even when i asked him he said he didn't know what he wanted me to do, just that it had to be a "gesture of love". He was insistent, I started getting angry because i had no idea what he was on about. He eventually said that if i couldn't prove it to him, we couldn't be friends.

I left the room, and after that we didn't speak of it, and i assumed it had blown over. Today i get a text from him saying that "I've made my decision", and that we can't see each other again. I have no idea what to do, i swear no other friends ask their friends to prove that they "love them".

Basically i wanted to get some opinions on what people think this means, and what i should do.

Bumping once.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.