Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What can I do over summer to help my chances? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 12 and am taking English Lit, Spanish, History and Maths for A Level. I gained 11 A*s and 1 A at GCSE and hope to possibly go to Oxbridge or another top university to read English Literature.

What can I do to help increase my chances? I want to do something over summer, a course or something but there doesn't seem to be anything for English students. It all seems very Maths and Science based. I can't do any of the Sutton Trust things because my father went to university and we are a fairly good income.

So what can I do to help me have a good chance of getting into these top universities? Any advice appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Read a lot. You could also practise critical appraisal of previously unseen texts.

ReputationRep:
    There is Villiers Park, have a look into that but I'm not sure if there are courses in summer. And yep, as the above poster said, swot up on your subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    There is Villiers Park, have a look into that but I'm not sure if there are courses in summer. And yep, as the above poster said, swot up on your subject
    There are Villiers courses in the summer, I did a Linguistics one way way back in 2007 (old ). Fantastic suggestion if you can find one that you'd like OP. They only seem to be running three, but you might be interested in this Creative Writing one. It's worth approaching your school and asking if they will provide any funding for you to go (and you may need a week off as well, looking at the dates). My school paid for the whole thing, and I think it strengthened my application quite a lot, not only because I showed how much I enjoyed my subject, but also because it was the first time that I'd really had an experience of university level teaching and my confidence shot up hugely. All in all it was a really great thing to do, so have a look.

Edit: Actually, looks like the date for applications just went, it was the 1st April. But if you're interested ring them up and check if it's full

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    There are Villiers courses in the summer, I did a Linguistics one way way back in 2007 (old ). Fantastic suggestion if you can find one that you'd like OP. They only seem to be running three, but you might be interested in this Creative Writing one. It's worth approaching your school and asking if they will provide any funding for you to go (and you may need a week off as well, looking at the dates). My school paid for the whole thing, and I think it strengthened my application quite a lot, not only because I showed how much I enjoyed my subject, but also because it was the first time that I'd really had an experience of university level teaching and my confidence shot up hugely. All in all it was a really great thing to do, so have a look.

Edit: Actually, looks like the date for applications just went, it was the 1st April. But if you're interested ring them up and check if it's full
    Yeah that's what I meant about not being in summer, as in the holidays, because I had to take a week off college for mine I really enjoyed the course (Cell Biology and Genetics), it's great to meet people who are as interested in a subject as you are College didn't fund mine... But they haven't asked for the money so shhhh maybe I'll get away with a free trip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    Yeah that's what I meant about not being in summer, as in the holidays, because I had to take a week off college for mine I really enjoyed the course (Cell Biology and Genetics), it's great to meet people who are as interested in a subject as you are College didn't fund mine... But they haven't asked for the money so shhhh maybe I'll get away with a free trip
    I think I forgot because my school was strange and we didn't have to go back after our AS exams, so mine actually WAS in my summer holiday and I'd been off school for a while. But then I remembered halfway through the post that everyone else had taken a week off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Read a lot. You could also practise critical appraisal of previously unseen texts.
    This pretty much. To expand on this a bit for yourself OP, remember that you don't need to find a bunch of extracurricular activities you don't fancy doing or anything silly like that. If something does come up that seems interesting and vaguely intellectual or self-improving then do it, but don't feel under pressure to do anything like that.

Stick to the academic. You've got two concerns: A-Levels and the interview. Do well in both and things aren't so tough. The nitty gritty like UCAS and SAQ can wait, so just focus on that for now. Read ever more widely and try and include a repetoire of famous authors, the 'classics' that kind of thing. In the interview when you're analysing some extract which could be anything in the world, that bit of reading you did could help when you say the extract reminds you of this or that book. Reading critical analysis will put you in the right frame of mind to do that better, as the quotation refers.

Also how about visiting the two cities and walking round the place, maybe visiting a few colleges (you can have a look round most without prearrangement, although if you do email ahead you may get a meeting with someone from the college).

Just some suggestions really but not much to concern yourself over. I think for many candidates they're either in or out based on academic potential, so preparation like I've suggested are just small touches - but sometimes the small touches are what matters, so who knows. Just do whatever seems fit to you really. Final idea would be to email someone from the English faculty, they get emails like that all the time but if you were to make it specific (say you like 'this' era or style of writing and don't know where to go with it) then they may help you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.