Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking into doing one of those off-road rally day experiences, and can choose to drive either a Subaru Impreza WRX STi or Mitsubishi Evo 6 - both are the same price. Don't really know much about either car, so need some advice as to which I should pick!

Thoughts, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I have never driven either but I think the evo looks a bit more manly! They are both very very similair cars so you should have fun either way!

If they have the Evo 6 I'm guessing it would be the old saloon-style Impreza they have, in which case I would go for that. No real reason though, they were both pretty equal for a long long time.

ReputationRep:
    The age old debate on which car is better....

Personally the Evo is more forgiving if you're a novice, the WRX is way more fun..........just watch out for the lift-off oversteer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Id say the impreza

ReputationRep:
    The Evo VI is considered to be one of (if not the) best Evo's ever. I'd probably take that over the Scooby.

ReputationRep:
    Went for the Evo in the end. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Have driven an Evo V myself, was great to drive and I loved it. Same sort of idea, fully rally prepped etc.

Would love to have a go in a classic Scooby as well, simply for the noise of the boxer engine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26daystoworkwith)
    Went for the Evo in the end. Thanks guys
    Where did you go for this rally experience? What type of circuit was it?

ReputationRep:
    Good choice on the evo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Where did you go for this rally experience? What type of circuit was it?
    Haven't gone yet, just booked it. It's this

ReputationRep:
    Evo hands down for me

ReputationRep:
    Ever since a wee lad I've always been in love with the Imprezas

ReputationRep:
    I've driven many variants of both cars, and used to run the local Subaru owners club and organise trackdays and events for it. The Evo VI was indeed the best of the Evo's, the perfect balance of power, ability and raw aggression. The Subaru in the pic is the newer 'Hawkeye' (06-07) STi, which was a very competent road car. On the road, I always preferred Scoobs as I didn't like all the active assistance that the Evo does. YOU drive a Scoob, whereas Evo's you just point at a corner at silly speed and it goes round it, or doesn't. On a flowing A-road, an Evo will leave a similar spec Scoob, but when it gets twisty on typical British B-roads, the more compliant suspension and better driving feel (without the computers helping) will see the Scoob edge ahead. However, as you are doing a limited amount of rally runs for just one day, either will give you an awesome experience and amazingly fun day.

ReputationRep:
    the Evo is more RAW in my opinion. On the road the subaru has a more complying ride in terms of comfort, whereas the evo is more joint juddering, but my vote goes to the evo if slamming around a track. The scooby is hardly wallowy and like walter said, will still show you a great time. if I was buying, out of the two I'd probably opt for a blob eyed impreza over the evo. (the latest rendition of the scoob however, I'd be jumping for the evo any time of the day)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarion526)
    (the latest rendition of the scoob however, I'd be jumping for the evo any time of the day)
    I am assuming you are basing that decision purely on looks. Having owned a Blobeye, and driven everything from the earliest of Classic Turbo 2000's to Litchfield Type 25's and a 22B, I can tell you that the hatch is a superb, competent and astoundingly fast road car. In standard trim (330S) compared to a similar powered 05 Blob it feels a much slower car due to its enhanced abilities and composure, but when you look at the speedo it surprises you that you are going 20-40mph faster through the same bends. It was the same when the Bugeye came out, the extra refinement made them feel slower, but most (near) standard spec Classics couldn't keep up. The Blob and Hawk improved things gradually, but the new hatch chassis is a leap ahead again, more than a match for the Evo X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    I am assuming you are basing that decision purely on looks. Having owned a Blobeye, and driven everything from the earliest of Classic Turbo 2000's to Litchfield Type 25's and a 22B, I can tell you that the hatch is a superb, competent and astoundingly fast road car. In standard trim (330S) compared to a similar powered 05 Blob it feels a much slower car due to its enhanced abilities and composure, but when you look at the speedo it surprises you that you are going 20-40mph faster through the same bends. It was the same when the Bugeye came out, the extra refinement made them feel slower, but most (near) standard spec Classics couldn't keep up. The Blob and Hawk improved things gradually, but the new hatch chassis is a leap ahead again, more than a match for the Evo X.

Not at all, although that is yet another factor which didn't sell them to me. I've test driven several blob and bugs when I was thinking of getting one for my last car, and I had a roll in a couple of hatches as well as the focus RS (ruled that out due to it being FWD - personal preference, but a very unexpectedly good drive).

I just didnt warm to the hatch at all, and it just felt totally outclassed to the X. personal opinion of course, and from a relatively short time inside, but the steering felt too vague in the STI I drove for what I was expecting after trying an evo, and it didnt feel as refined as the evo, and although I didnt drive them both under the same circumstances, but the X's handling and delivery for me far surpassed that from the Subaru.. not to mention that I felt it had a greater sense of urgency in a straight line than the subaru. The subaru felt like a fast car, where the evo felt like an all out monster. like I said, all in my humble opinion and I'm far from de crediting the scoob, but it's far from my favourite rendition..

a bit biased on my part in a way though as I'm looking at a blob or hawk at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarion526)
    I'm looking at a blob or hawk at the moment
    Look for JDM import models, with the stronger Jap-spec 2.0 engine, twin scroll turbo and equal-length headers. Much better cars than UK/EU spec, and come with HID's, backlit sweep dials and rear wiper. JDM cars also had the DCCD-A active centre diff from 03 on, whereas the UK didn't get it until 05 (04 on the special edition WR1). IMHO, a Liitchfield Type 20 is about as good a road use Subaru gets, based on JDM STi's or Spec C's (lightened, rawer race spec model) and having various revisions on power and handling making them quite astonishing drivers cars. Power is up'd to 320-330 with a Milltek zorst and Powerstation remap. Handling benefits from Whiteline ALK and ARB's, allied to the brilliant AST adjustable coilovers (I had those on mine) making the car supremely stable and composed. A UK car with stock suspension simply wouldn't know where you'd gone, even if it had more power. My 265bhp WRX PPP could easily outrun cars around the 400bhp mark on typical b-roads and track, unless they had similar chassis mods. Also, JDM cars can be cheaper to insure if you know where to ask (Keith Michaels (ask for Gary Moulson), Greenlight and A-Plan), and fall into a cheap VED bracket (± £200, UK cars now £460) due to emissions data not being available forcing them into a generic 'import' tax classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walter Ego)
    x
    Just... wow. That was complete gobblegook to me. I really should take more of an interest in my car beyond 'it gets me from A to B quicker than the last one'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26daystoworkwith)
    Just... wow. That was complete gobblegook to me. I really should take more of an interest in my car beyond 'it gets me from A to B quicker than the last one'. :rolleyes:
    If you just do A-B, don't worry about it. If you drive for fun, pleasure and excitement, and love the thrill of guiding a car through bends, hitting the perfect apex, knowing you're right on the raggedy edge of adhesion, then learn about cars and buy what is most suited, which for me is what I described above. A Vauxhaul Corsa will be fine for you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.