Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ................................ ................................ .......

ReputationRep:
    Two very different courses at University.

Dentistry
    For this you probably will need Chemistry, it is a very very competative course with 14 people applying for 1 place, thats is actually more than Medicine for its 1 in 7 chance of getting a place. With dentistry you do need to choose course carefully, classic combinations are Biology, Chemistry, Maths and one other traditional AS Level subject like english,economics. I would guess you would need Biology for sure. Avoid choosing any easier subjects like business/ICT, although I do know someone who took ICT for the 4th AS and is doing Dentistry, but a full A level in it wont be worth it. Get a degree in this subject and with your own practice you probably would be getting 100k+/year with the new NHS contracts.

Optometry
    Overall a much easier subject to get into sort of on the same level as pharmacy, I applied this year and got offers, and I was doing Bio,chem and business at A2 and Droped ICT at AS. I know for sure that mos the uni's were asking for at least 2 Science subjects which includes subjects like Maths. Its a much easier course to get into and salary after you get your degree reflects that. Starting salaries are around 20k working in a high street Practice, its a bit better with your own practice but, you will need the money to setup in the first place.

It depends how confortable you feel with chemistry, it is a hard subject just as the other sciences are and maths, if you have been doing the new GCSE's then really it is a BIG step up, I was in the first year for the new Science GCSE's and I can tell you, you have to put in a hell of a lot more work for A Level sciences.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on exactly what you want to apply for. What sort of grades overall at AS do you thing you will get? How did your January Exams go. Seeing as universities see you AS grade on your application get A's at AS is probably what you will need to get an offer for denistry, not that they wont consider you if you dont but its a safer way. There are people who has straight A's at AS and still dont get any offers.

ReputationRep:
    im an optom student and i did not take chemistry as an as or a level. im pretty sure none of the optom schools ask for chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend optometry over dentistry as you can actually develop a rapport with your patient, more varied work and patients actually like you. If you just want the £££ however then dentistry is the one

ReputationRep:
    • You guys definitely dont do optometry, my best friend is an optometrist and she said the state of the profession is shocking. She says the wages are getting lower every year, with some of her university pals starting on as low as £16,000 but the worse thing is it increases very little with experience unlike medicine.
      She says her day to day work is so boring and she gets to do very little medical stuff as they only trust optometrists to sell glasses! Stay clear unless you want a sales job with low pay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lind6765)
    • You guys definitely dont do optometry, my best friend is an optometrist and she said the state of the profession is shocking. She says the wages are getting lower every year, with some of her university pals starting on as low as £16,000 but the worse thing is it increases very little with experience unlike medicine.
      She says her day to day work is so boring and she gets to do very little medical stuff as they only trust optometrists to sell glasses! Stay clear unless you want a sales job with low pay!
    I'm a pre-reg optometrist. I love doing what I do.

I get a real kick out of helping people, and there's little better than having a patient leave with their problem solved. The tests are repetitive, but every person is unique and has their own problem to solve - when you can appreciate that rather than just go through the motions, that's when you start to enjoy it.

I know I'll never be rich as an optometrist, but the salary is above national average and you can live a comfortable life. You can get more money doing other jobs, but is the satisfaction there? I was heading into finance before I changed to optometry - I would have earnt twice as much, but enjoyed it half as much. Worth the sacrifice? I think so, yes.

I don't know your friend, your post could be a completely unfair reflection on her ... but it sounds like she wanted to pretend she was a doctor. I wouldn't recommend going into optometry if you want to do that, your contact with 'real' medicine is limited to minor eye infections, diseases that have no real cure and referring. But if you want a 'puzzle solving with people' job, it's great. It's also a job that gives you the time to enjoy life outside of work as well.

Spoiler:
    Show
    There are two sides to every coin.

By the way, 16k is a good optometrist starting salary seeing as you first have to enter an 'on the job training' position rather than a 'fully qualified professional' position.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.