Turn on thread page Beta

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been majorly disappointed with the last 2 albums, and this is the third... so guess I should stop calling myself a Foos fan now. Doesn't compare to the first 4 albums at all, and doesn't even have any stand out tracks like IYH and ESPG had. Ah well, time to move on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    I've been majorly disappointed with the last 2 albums, and this is the third... so guess I should stop calling myself a Foos fan now. Doesn't compare to the first 4 albums at all, and doesn't even have any stand out tracks like IYH and ESPG had.
    what don't you like about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    what don't you like about it?
    Lyrically, it's baaaaaaaaaad. It seems like Grohl's going more and more for 'serious' lyrics, and while this album isn't trying to be a crowdpleaser he still shoehorns in sing-a-long choruses (Rope would have been so much better if the chorus had simply been cut out, the pre-chorus would be fine alone).

The thing I liked about the earlier albums is that they were very bold sounds, nothing too fiddly, just great catchy riffs. Foos ARE a pop rock band, whether Grohl likes it or not. That seems to have gone somewhat in the recent albums for more complex riffs that don't have the same character (probably because that's what Shiflett likes to play).

And all in all, it just lacks the spark for me. I listen to the first 4 albums and I'm totally enthused (maybe One By One slightly less so, but I blame the godawful production, the songs sounded great live). I listen to the last 3 albums and have no desire to listen to them again save for a few. This is the first album where nothing really caught me at all. I really wanted to like it after I heard everyone shout from the rooftops that it's just like the old days, but I felt nothing listening to it and figure the old days are long gone now. Time to stop hoping they'll dig into their past and accept they aren't the same band anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Lyrically, it's baaaaaaaaaad. It seems like Grohl's going more and more for 'serious' lyrics, and while this album isn't trying to be a crowdpleaser he still shoehorns in sing-a-long choruses (Rope would have been so much better if the chorus had simply been cut out, the pre-chorus would be fine alone).

The thing I liked about the earlier albums is that they were very bold sounds, nothing too fiddly, just great catchy riffs. Foos ARE a pop rock band, whether Grohl likes it or not. That seems to have gone somewhat in the recent albums for more complex riffs that don't have the same character (probably because that's what Shiflett likes to play).

And all in all, it just lacks the spark for me. I listen to the first 4 albums and I'm totally enthused (maybe One By One slightly less so, but I blame the godawful production, the songs sounded great live). I listen to the last 3 albums and have no desire to listen to them again save for a few. This is the first album where nothing really caught me at all. I really wanted to like it after I heard everyone shout from the rooftops that it's just like the old days, but I felt nothing listening to it and figure the old days are long gone now. Time to stop hoping they'll dig into their past and accept they aren't the same band anymore.
    Yeah, diffenitly it's not the same as there earlier work. But then, when you think about it, very few bands seem to keep the exact same style through their career. I love every album they've released, but each in a different way than the others. Shame you don't enjoy their newer work, maybe it will grow on you?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.