Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm choosing my A level options now, and I know which ones I want to study next year, but I'm not sure about what to do about my maths.

At our school, if you get above a certain score in Year 6 SATS, then you do your maths GCSE in year 8 and 9, and then AS level split between year 10 and 11, so by the end of year 11 you should have an AS level in maths.

At the moment I'm on a B overall (I did S1 and C1 last summer, and got 62 and 63, respectively) but have since resat S1 and got an A. (I would want to resit C1 to get a better mark at some point, I've heard that after doing it after C2 would be easier?)

I have the option to either carry on doing this, which I think I could manage and hopefully get a respectable grade, (would finish my complete maths A level in Y12) but I don't think I'd be able to get as good a grade (and definitely not as many UMS marks) as if I re-did the whole course again.

Is it worth carrying on, and getting 4 A levels, but only having 3 left to do in year 13, or to re-do it and get the best score I can? What is more beneficial for applying to a 'top' uni??

Thanks x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is in no way beneficial for you to take your mathematics A Level spread over three years and then study no mathematics at all in year 13. Your school's policy of acceleration has done you no favours. If you want to go on to take a degree with a high mathematical content at a good university, you will need to improve those marks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.