Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bfgh jklp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.K.123)
    Hi All,

I am new here. I hope everyone is well.

I am thinking about jumping ship.

My particular background is as follows. I am 24yrs old and currently on a ‘gap year.’ I have a first class law degree from the London School of Economics. After this, I completed a masters in law from the University of Oxford (the BCL degree). I also have plenty of internship experience at the leading commercial chambers in London. My focus has been on commercial law. It was my original plan to enter the commercial bar and practice as a commercial barrister. However, I have thought long and hard over the last few months and have decided to focus on commerce and the business side of transactions rather than commercial law. Thus, my desire to enter investment banking. My reasons for a possible change in direction are twofold. Firstly, I have an interest in commerce and not just commercial law. Secondly, I am really worried not obtaining a pupillage and the slim chances of tenancy.

Bit of a random thread really. Just want folk's thoughts on such a switch. Am I mad? Am I just consumed by irrational fears of not making the cut at the commercial bar? Should I go for the bar (IF I get a pupillage) and then, and only then, switch to investment banking if I still feel the need to?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

NK
    You have a long career ahead of you so you have time to find your niche

It sounds like your still interested in the bar, so why not apply for pupillage and see how you get on, you don't have to accept it long term if you change your mind but for now aren't you better to see if you have the option? It sounds like your most concerned about making the cut. For someone with your academics and experience though my advice would be you definitely won't make the cut if you don't even try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.K.123)
    Hi All,

I am new here. I hope everyone is well.

I am thinking about jumping ship.

My particular background is as follows. I am 24yrs old and currently on a ‘gap year.’ I have a first class law degree from the London School of Economics. After this, I completed a masters in law from the University of Oxford (the BCL degree). I also have plenty of internship experience at the leading commercial chambers in London. My focus has been on commercial law. It was my original plan to enter the commercial bar and practice as a commercial barrister. However, I have thought long and hard over the last few months and have decided to focus on commerce and the business side of transactions rather than commercial law. Thus, my desire to enter investment banking. My reasons for a possible change in direction are twofold. Firstly, I have an interest in commerce and not just commercial law. Secondly, I am really worried not obtaining a pupillage and the slim chances of tenancy.

Bit of a random thread really. Just want folks' thoughts on such a switch. Am I mad? Am I just consumed by irrational fears of not making the cut at the commercial bar? Should I go for the bar (IF I get a pupillage) and then, and only then, switch to investment banking if I still feel the need to?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

NK

If you've got a BCL, a First from LSE and relevant experience I wouldn't worry too much unless you are an appalling interviewee.

I'm sure you know this already but one of the most significant factors in your decision should be how much you like advocacy.

IB is one of the few careers which is as competitive as the Bar. You'll also have to prove you're numerate.

If you've got an interest in commerce and not just law you could consider becoming a solicitor. I'm sure the Magic Circle would snap you up.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.