Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was at a talk for both unis the other day, and i think cambridge said keep the first couple of weeks free in december... well if i've got a snowboarding holiday booked for the 17th will they clash?!
    if any one's had an interview with either in the past, when was your's?

thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    Mine was on the 9th, but ring your college and ask?

ReputationRep:
    Mine was the 9th December, but I went down on the 8th because it was on the morning of the 9th and I live 5 hours away.

The 17th should be fine, and they will try to work around you if you have something you really cannot miss. But I'd wait to see how people respond just in case. (I'm not sure how safe you'd be with Oxford either - I knew people who were in Oxford until the end of the week I was in Cambridge, at least.) Also, it's brave to go on holiday over prime January exam revision time!

ReputationRep:
    I think you can state in your application (or Cambridge Questionnaire?) that you're going to be unavailable for interview on [day(s)]. Or it might part of your referee's forms.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was about the 8th. I can't remmeber the exact date.
    Oxford interviews tend to be a week or so later so you may have some problems.

I reckon you'll be alright though with the 17th.

ReputationRep:
    Mine were 12 - 15th so you should be alright as I think my ones were the latest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettified)
    I think you can state in your application (or Cambridge Questionnaire?) that you're going to be unavailable for interview on [day(s)]. Or it might part of your referee's forms.
    Didn't it say that holidays were not an excuse though?

I could be wrong.

EDIT: Just checked.

It says "Interviews normally take place in the first 3 weeks of December. Applicants are advised to avoid making unbreakable commitments during this period. Please list any dates during this period when you would be unable to attend an interview. Acceptable reasons for been unable to attend on a given date include religeous observances or longstanding hospital appointments. School concert rehersals or sports matches are not acceptable reasons."

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...s/docs/saq.pdf

Holidays arent quite as important as medical appointments but more so then sports matches. I don't know if you'd get away with it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan02)
    i was at a talk for both unis the other day, and i think cambridge said keep the first couple of weeks free in december... well if i've got a snowboarding holiday booked for the 17th will they clash?!
    if any one's had an interview with either in the past, when was your's?

thanks =)
    December, first couple of weeks.

Leave your holiday, or arrange to go out later.

The interview would be more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    Didn't it say that holidays were not an excuse though?
    It does - and neither are school performances, sports matches etc. It's only really there for religious or medical commitments, I think (or so I remember it saying).

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone, i'll leave it for now, and deal with it if it is an issue =P thanks =)

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.