Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaglo602)
    Hi all, it's been some time since my last post - since then I applied through UCAS Extra and received an offer from University of Warwick for the Biomedical Chemistry course

In terms of where I'm standing now, I've gone and accepted the biomed chem offer but I'm still not 100% sure if I've made the correct choice...I know the decision is all down to me in the end however just the thought of having to go for the graduate entry (if my reapplication during undergrad study fails) scares me.

The idea of taking a second gap year is still on my mind but everything depends on which option gives me the best chance of getting into medicine.

I think some medical schools allow students, who are in undergrad study, to reapply for medicine - which is what I'm hoping to go for. I was wondering how I should approach this in my personal statement to convince them that my heart still lies with medicine and me dropping out of Warwick won't be detrimental to my application?

(I've recently sent a letter to a lot of medical schools asking if they accept applications from undergrad students, so until I get plenty of useful responses my decision stays with Warwick...)

Thanks again
    Hello again - I remember your posts. I log on occasionally to see how people are getting on and saw this. I remember a few months ago someone posted a list of responses s/he had got after contacting a lot of med schools with exactly that query.

It would be quite useful as some said 'no problem' though we wouldn't encourage anyone to drop out of a course, whereas others were clear they wouldn't consider it. I have no idea how to go about doing a search, but others here may be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    With your academics and the competitiveness of grad entry I would seriously consider another gap year, after all there are a few people on this forum who have been accepted in their second gap year. Like someone said on the first page, you should go for Southampton as they don't interview and also Edinburgh. Looking at your app this year, SGUL interviews a large number of applicants so a rejection post interview is common, this could be the case for at least one of your others?

Don't force yourself to do a degree your heart will not be set on, that will be torture for 3 years, especially with the uncertainty of your future! I really hope you make a choice you're happy with, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eaglo602)
    Hi all, it's been some time since my last post - since then I applied through UCAS Extra and received an offer from University of Warwick for the Biomedical Chemistry course

In terms of where I'm standing now, I've gone and accepted the biomed chem offer but I'm still not 100% sure if I've made the correct choice...I know the decision is all down to me in the end however just the thought of having to go for the graduate entry (if my reapplication during undergrad study fails) scares me.

The idea of taking a second gap year is still on my mind but everything depends on which option gives me the best chance of getting into medicine.

I think some medical schools allow students, who are in undergrad study, to reapply for medicine - which is what I'm hoping to go for. I was wondering how I should approach this in my personal statement to convince them that my heart still lies with medicine and me dropping out of Warwick won't be detrimental to my application?

(I've recently sent a letter to a lot of medical schools asking if they accept applications from undergrad students, so until I get plenty of useful responses my decision stays with Warwick...)

Thanks again
    Just read their websites carefully.

Don't give up on your dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    With your academics and the competitiveness of grad entry I would seriously consider another gap year, after all there are a few people on this forum who have been accepted in their second gap year. Like someone said on the first page, you should go for Southampton as they don't interview and also Edinburgh. Looking at your app this year, SGUL interviews a large number of applicants so a rejection post interview is common, this could be the case for at least one of your others?

Don't force yourself to do a degree your heart will not be set on, that will be torture for 3 years, especially with the uncertainty of your future! I really hope you make a choice you're happy with, good luck
    lots of people on this forum have got in through reapplying on a gap year. me for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremybag)
    lots of people on this forum have got in through reapplying on a gap year. me for one.
    Was it your first gap year or did you take 2?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.