Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do you need saved to go to Uni with? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have £2000 saved from lifeguarding in the first year of AS and will probably make £4000 more by the time Uni comes around. How much do you really need saved pre Uni?

ReputationRep:
    I went with £0 and I'm doing just fine (I don't have a job)

ReputationRep:
    Zero. My parents pay. I get about 100 pounds a week. Anyone could easily survive on 50-70 a week depending on the uni though. You can calculate the expenses from there.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a maximum, have as much as ye damn well can save.

Loans are good but paying them back is evil, the less debt ye can get into the muchly better.

ReputationRep:
    It varies. Anything between zero and infinity.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got a specific amount ready but I'm gonna work my ass off during the summer holidays!

ReputationRep:
    I have about 300 in the bank but i keep spending it. So i'm planning on living from netto for 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    I went with £0 and I'm doing just fine (I don't have a job)
    I was very glad to see this post!

ReputationRep:
    a used condom is required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeYea)
    I have £2000 saved from lifeguarding in the first year of AS and will probably make £4000 more by the time Uni comes around. How much do you really need saved pre Uni?
    wow, i have -14 pence in my bank

ReputationRep:
    nothing really

you pay it back later on in your career

although some money will obviously come in handy but it's not essential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    It varies. Anything between zero and infinity.
    what about infinity +1??

ReputationRep:
    your doing the right thing pal if you don't go crazy you'll live a fairly comfortable life at uni and won't have loans to pay back

ReputationRep:
    think you'll be fine with that!I went with nothing saved up and did ok

ReputationRep:
    Has aynone noticed that having a high income per household has absolutely screwed them.

I wanna go to a london uni too, so as well as not getting any kind of grant i only get 72% of the "maintenance loan". I know they need to give money to the most needy, but for god sake why is the maintenance loan 72%. Not every rich family will pay for their childs uni! I will have to live of like £60/ week taking of for accommodation.

Anyone else agree with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kebabmonk)
    Has aynone noticed that having a high income per household has absolutely screwed them.

I wanna go to a london uni too, so as well as not getting any kind of grant i only get 72% of the "maintenance loan". I know they need to give money to the most needy, but for god sake why is the maintenance loan 72%. Not every rich family will pay for their childs uni! I will have to live of like £60/ week taking of for accommodation.

Anyone else agree with me?
    Nope i dont.

Anyway thanks to your mum and dad im getting the full loan and grant

ReputationRep:
    agh! i'll have earned £12,400 by the time I move out of the house (am living at home for a year before transferring to a different uni) and I'm really nervous that that won't be enough. Good to see that other people haven't saved up any and are getting by fine. Hopefully I'll get some sort of scholarship, too. I just want to leave uni debt-free, but working a lot and going to school full-time is causing me a lot of stress! I just wish my parents didn't make as much as they did so I could qualify for need-based grants from the government, or that they would just help me out more (as ungrateful as that sounds).

ReputationRep:
    I have about £200 ish but some is in Euros so it depends on the exchange rate. Hoping to earn more money after exams.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.