Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not pointless. You have to know what signs mean and be able to read situations. It helps a lot when you're driving in unfamiliar territory.

ReputationRep:
    Let's face it; you're only saying that 'cause you've failed twice.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hazard and perception section. I actually think it's quite cool, and it's just clicking when you see something could affect the way your driving :s

ReputationRep:
    Just failed my theory today, 49 out of 50 on the questions and only 36 on the hazards :facepalm: I did two practice hazard tests yesterday and comfortably passed them, can't see how i did so badly today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    Just failed my theory today, 49 out of 50 on the questions and only 36 on the hazards :facepalm: I did two practice hazard tests yesterday and comfortably passed them, can't see how i did so badly today.
    personally, i found the real hazard perception test much easier than the ones i practiced on cd's. all i'd say is go back to the cd and consistently score like at least 50/75 on the HP test before booking your test.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottChalmers)
    In my opinion the Theory Test is just another way to get money out of people because they know that we will pay anything to have the freedom to jump in a car and go wherever we feel.

I've failed mines 2 times now and it's pissing me off. First time i got 49/50 and 42/75 and second time i got 48/50 and 43/75. So really if i clicked like 0.5 seconds earlier i would have saved myself £31 (which is a ridiculous price btw).

I was speaking to my Mum and Dad after i failed the 2nd time and they agreed that it was silly or at least the hazard perception is. It DOESN'T make you a better driver. Your reactions are different when your sitting infront of a screen clicking a mouse wheras when your driving if you need to take action then you will.

I'm ready to take my practical but i seem to be stuck on the hazard perception and feel as if i will never pass it. My driving is exceptionally good and i make very few mistakes when i'm out.

How does everyone else feel about Theory Tests?

Sorry for rambling and Cool Story Bro Comments are no longer funny so don't waste your time typing it :L
    The Hazard Perception test was designed to distinguish between experienced and novice drivers. So they basically got a people with a range of abilities and then tweaked the test until the results reflected their abilities.

So the test does, on average (i.e. on a population level), distinguish between good and less-good drivers, but on an individual level it may not. It may also be possible to train for the test without improving your real-life hazard perception skills, in the same way as you can train yourself to be good at IQ tests without becoming more intelligent.

And it's hard to imagine then there isn't an in-built bias towards people who are comfortable playing computer games for long periods of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottChalmers)
    In my opinion the Theory Test is just another way to get money out of people because they know that we will pay anything to have the freedom to jump in a car and go wherever we feel.

I've failed mines 2 times now and it's pissing me off. First time i got 49/50 and 42/75 and second time i got 48/50 and 43/75. So really if i clicked like 0.5 seconds earlier i would have saved myself £31 (which is a ridiculous price btw).

I was speaking to my Mum and Dad after i failed the 2nd time and they agreed that it was silly or at least the hazard perception is. It DOESN'T make you a better driver. Your reactions are different when your sitting infront of a screen clicking a mouse wheras when your driving if you need to take action then you will.

I'm ready to take my practical but i seem to be stuck on the hazard perception and feel as if i will never pass it. My driving is exceptionally good and i make very few mistakes when i'm out.

How does everyone else feel about Theory Tests?

Sorry for rambling and Cool Story Bro Comments are no longer funny so don't waste your time typing it :L
    I think the multiple choice section isn't too bad and I can see why its there, drivers should be well informed of what signs mean (even if most are common sense). On the hazard perception, I totally agree with you. The condition by which you are tested in bears absolutely no relation to when you're actually on the road when you have to split your attention for various tasks that come with driving. THe uncertainty of the test with regard to when and what to click for is also another major flaw with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)
    personally, i found the real hazard perception test much easier than the ones i practiced on cd's. all i'd say is go back to the cd and consistently score like at least 50/75 on the HP test before booking your test.

good luck
    This is what i was doing, i didn't think the real test was that hard which makes me so surprised i screwed it up so much :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    This is what i was doing, i didn't think the real test was that hard which makes me so surprised i screwed it up so much :lol:
    i found the real test much easier than the ones i'd been practicing! i read somewhere that all the hazards in the real ones were staged, and should therefore be more obvious than the ones in the cd i used, which werent.

also, 2 practice run passes is not what i'd call good practice, i think i must have done at least 10 -15 mock theory tests before i passed mine.

ReputationRep:
    It is needed to keep the ***** off the road as long as possible. Admittedly, as all the hazard perception clips are staged they only have some bearing to real life. It took three times for me to pass but I appreciate the importance of knowing the highway code which you have shown with your question score. All the advice I can give OP, is that you just keep practicing and practicing that hazard perception disc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.