This discussion is closed.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My broadband stopped working this afternoon, this has happened before as the network card come loose so i unscrew the back of the computer and then refit the network card.

however this time after rebooting and getting the internet working the whole computer is slowing down. it takes a long time to open anything and even typing/right clicking takes time (eg when im writing this i have to wait for the text to appear after typing it)

unbeleivably frustrating, im running windows 98 and i still have 4 gb of hard drive left/not many programs running

HELP
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have you done anything to the pc recently, eg install new software or hardware, or did it stop working spontaneously?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you have a jumperless motherboard the processor clock settings are determined by the BIOS. Its possible that the battery connection has been shorted causing the BIOS to loose its contents. If this is the case then the processor clock speed will be set at the default often much slower than the true clock speed. I would check your BIOS settings.
MattG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dickie)
have you done anything to the pc recently, eg install new software or hardware, or did it stop working spontaneously?
nothing but d/l music mp3s. all i have done is refitted a network card and rebooted it a few times.

what im worried is that unscrewing the back and fiddling inside i've accidently mucked something up. eg the problem with static etc
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
If you have a jumperless motherboard the processor clock settings are determined by the BIOS. Its possible that the battery connection has been shorted causing the BIOS to loose its contents. If this is the case then the processor clock speed will be set at the default often much slower than the true clock speed. I would check your BIOS settings.
umm, i think this is fairly unlikely. much more likely is that you have been infected by this latest worm and your computer is busy DoSing SCO's mail server :P go to housecall.antivirus.com and get a free online virus scan.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
My broadband stopped working this afternoon, this has happened before as the network card come loose so i unscrew the back of the computer and then refit the network card.

however this time after rebooting and getting the internet working the whole computer is slowing down. it takes a long time to open anything and even typing/right clicking takes time (eg when im writing this i have to wait for the text to appear after typing it)

unbeleivably frustrating, im running windows 98 and i still have 4 gb of hard drive left/not many programs running

HELP
Please boot into 'safe mode' and tell us whether the problem persists.

Thanks,
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
umm, i think this is fairly unlikely. much more likely is that you have been infected by this latest worm and your computer is busy DoSing SCO's mail server :P go to housecall.antivirus.com and get a free online virus scan.
The DoS isn't aparently starting till feb 1st
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my experience and believe me I must have built about 200 PCs it either works or it dosn't. I have seen popped capacitors causing PCs to crash and eventualy die but never anything that makes the system run slow due to static. Static very rarely damages computer components, I will happy rub a Cyrix P333 chip on my hair plug back into the ZIF socket and it will work fine. Its just an over reacted myth. Having said that I still take pecuasions when dealing with expensive processors!

My theory is you have dropped a screw on the motherboard or touched a screw driver shorting the battery. Does it come up with an error such as CMOS checksum error?

Also did you put the network card back inthe same PCI slot?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
Yeah that is always a possibility I was just thinking its strange that he has had the lid open and now its suddenly running slower.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my experience and believe me I must have built about 200 PCs it either works or it dosn't. I have seen popped capacitors causing PCs to crash and eventualy die but never anything that makes the system run slow due to static. Static very rarely damages computer components, I will happy rub a Cyrix P333 chip on my hair plug back into the ZIF socket and it will work fine. Its just an over reacted myth. Having said that I still take pecuasions when dealing with expensive processors!

My theory is you have dropped a screw on the motherboard or touched a screw driver shorting the battery. Does it come up with an error such as CMOS checksum error?

My Brother got a popped capacitor, as you call it, last year. it was only on his power source, so it didn;t really matter. but it was a really loud bang, even my parents downstairs heard it and thought a bomb had gone off.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
The DoS isn't aparently starting till feb 1st
ahh, okay. fair enough.

but virii are usually what causes computers to spontaneously slow down in my experience. Even more likely if he (presumably) uses kazaa to download MP3s.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
My Brother got a popped capacitor, as you call it, last year. it was only on his power source, so it didn;t really matter. but it was a really loud bang, even my parents downstairs heard it and thought a bomb had gone off.
hehe I've done that with a camera flash capacitor before. I use a scre driver with a good insulting handle on it first! It was loud and there was a huge bright light.

The capaictors on this motherboard appeared to leaking as the caps were rusting. The computer started crashing every five minutes until it eventualy died as it would not even boot up.
MattG
Rep:
?

no, no error messages at all

yes

working on restarting on safe mode, but the instructions to do it-(hold ctrl while restart isnt working, god im crap with computers
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yes

working on restarting on safe mode, but the instructions to do it-(hold ctrl while restart isnt working, god im crap with computers
i think you press F8 when the OS is booting
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
yes

If you are running XP go to run and type 'msconfig', and check the box for booting in safe mode.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Get and run "adaware" and get some decent firewall software. I like Sygate Personal Firewall (free).

www.download.com
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (8)
29.63%
No (16)
59.26%
Don't know (3)
11.11%

Watched Threads