Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I plan on doing Engineering and am considering Further Maths for an A level subject. I am about to finish my CIE GCE O levels. I have a predicted A* in Maths (with very little effort apart from the last couple of months). Though I also do take Additional Maths which I find to be more of a challenge, this probably has a lot to do with me not paying any attention AT ALL until just recently (two months ago), again I think I'll manage to scrape an A in it, but with quite some work. Is Further Maths for me?

ReputationRep:
    if you wnat to do engineering then further maths is an excellent choice

ReputationRep:
    i've found further maths so useful in the first year doing engineering so i'd definantly reccomend it! and i got good marks in it after getting an A at GCSE so i'm sure you'd cope with the modules

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do engineering, or even anything science-related (with the exception of medicine, I've heard) then go for it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by OmarDurrani)
    So, I plan on doing Engineering and am considering Further Maths for an A level subject. I am about to finish my CIE GCE O levels. I have a predicted A* in Maths (with very little effort apart from the last couple of months). Though I also do take Additional Maths which I find to be more of a challenge, this probably has a lot to do with me not paying any attention AT ALL until just recently (two months ago), again I think I'll manage to scrape an A in it, but with quite some work. Is Further Maths for me?
    It is ideal for engineering.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of maths in engineering. If you plan on going into anything maths, physics or engineering related, Further Maths is invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    I would do. I have done further maths and i love it. Towards the end of A2 depending on your applied it can get very tricky. Im doing M3 and it's a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    There's a lot of maths in engineering. If you plan on going into anything maths, physics or engineering related, Further Maths is invaluable.
    y for nything maths or engineering related?
    (kinda get the physics part)

ReputationRep:
    Do it! I'm self teaching it and its fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmarDurrani)
    Definitley, even you wanna get into a top engineering course and uni then further maths is a must...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    If you want to do engineering, or even anything science-related (with the exception of medicine, I've heard) then go for it
    Yep, Further Maths AS is officially (well, not officially, but TSR-officially) the worst option you can take for Medicine, and Further Maths A2 is irrelevant for all but Cambridge applicants really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l)
    y for nything maths or engineering related?
    (kinda get the physics part)
    There is a lot of maths in engineering. It is effectively applying principles from physics and maths to designs and structures. At degree level, Further Maths would certainly be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't know if I want to take further maths though. I'm very good at maths, but it bores me terribly, I think I may choose subjects which I find more stimulating.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi everyone. Do you think I should become an astronaut?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Please note that I don't actually want to become an astronaut (even though I would be absolutely brilliant at it) because I think I would find it a little dull compared to my other occupations (international playboy, diamond smuggler and KFC team member). If you answer my question or even read this far, you will certainly be wasting your time. Never mind eh?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.