Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Compulsory eviction of old people from homes watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selkarn)
    I don't think so, under utilitarian principles I would say the act of killing and the person being killed would generate more negative utility than positive utility. Anyway, such extreme and debatable examples don't really help pragmatic discussions such as this one.
    Utility is a principle of numbers.

And these 'extreme situations' show the faults of the moral system, which is to reject autonomy of the individual for the cause of the majority.

Rape would be good if it was a gang bang, holocaust would be good, slavery would be good. Aren't these real life situations in which utilitarianism reigned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Utility is a principle of numbers.

And these 'extreme situations' show the faults of the moral system, which is to reject autonomy of the individual for the cause of the majority.

Rape would be good if it was a gang bang, holocaust would be good, slavery would be good. Aren't these real life situations in which utilitarianism reigned.
    Someone walks into a shop. They look at 2 chocolate bars. They really want a Mars bar. They don't want a Twix bar. The chocolate bars are the same price. They buy the Mars bar. That is a real life situation in which utilitarianism reigned.

There are thousands of billions of examples - actually, uncountable numbers - of utilitarianism occurring every day. You sitting at the computer on TSR is an act of utilitarianism.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, as you have forgotten that in all of the situations you mentioned, negative utility is generated. If I want to kill you, it's not utilitarian that I should be able to kill you, because you have a huge amount of negative utility from dying. Same applies to those situations.

This really isn't a utilitarian thread anyway, it's just a small element, and I'm satisfied to see that most people agree with me on the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Someone walks into a shop. They look at 2 chocolate bars. They really want a Mars bar. They don't want a Twix bar. The chocolate bars are the same price. They buy the Mars bar. That is a real life situation in which utilitarianism reigned.

There are thousands of billions of examples - actually, uncountable numbers - of utilitarianism occurring every day. You sitting at the computer on TSR is an act of utilitarianism.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, as you have forgotten that in all of the situations you mentioned, negative utility is generated. If I want to kill you, it's not utilitarian that I should be able to kill you, because you have a huge amount of negative utility from dying. Same applies to those situations.

This really isn't a utilitarian thread anyway, it's just a small element, and I'm satisfied to see that most people agree with me on the issue.
    It actually isn't as the pleasure I'm getting is less than if I did something more productive e.g. revise so that i get better grades hence getting my university place etc,etc.

popular opinion is rarely correct I would be wary.

ReputationRep:
    It actually isn't as the pleasure I'm getting is less than if I did something more productive e.g. revise so that i get better grades hence getting my university place etc,etc..
    Wrong.. you are rational. You are on TSR because it is, taking all factors into account, the thing that you most want to do that you are able to do.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong.. you are rational. You are on TSR because it is, taking all factors into account, the thing that you most want to do that you are able to do.
    I am held at gunpoint whilst on tsr, so no I don't want to do this!

ReputationRep:
    I am held at gunpoint whilst on tsr, so no I don't want to do this!
    You still don't get it? Even if you are held at gunpoint, it's still your greatest utility to do what the person threatening you says. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a good point; having said that, people do grow attached to their homes, and some elderly people have little else. Perhaps they could move them into one bedroom accommodation but only in the same area (therefore not removing them from a community they know or nearby relatives) and only nice accommodation - as in, not removing them from a house they may have lived in for a long time and shoving them into a grotty, top floor flat or something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah weren't politicians talking about this in late 2009... though mindful of the need to get people voting for them they couched it in terms such as 'helping elderly people live in properties they can manage' rather than compulsory eviction.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.