Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anybody please post a step by step reply as to how to answer this question:

The mass spectrum of CH3Br contains two molecular ion peaks of equal abundance with m/z values of 94 and 96. Deduce the number of molecular ion peaks in the spectrum of the compound CH2Br2. Give their relative abundances and the m/z value of the molecular ion peaks.

Thank you xx
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by xgoldenx)
    Hi can anybody please post a step by step reply as to how to answer this question:

The mass spectrum of CH3Br contains two molecular ion peaks of equal abundance with m/z values of 94 and 96. Deduce the number of molecular ion peaks in the spectrum of the compound CH2Br2. Give their relative abundances and the m/z value of the molecular ion peaks.

Thank you xx
    Basically the question is telling you that bromine exists as two isotopes 79-Br and 81-Br

If there are two bromine atoms in the molecule how many different combinations of bromine atoms are there possible.

As the probability of 79-Br and 81-Br are equal, work out the relative probability of each combination occurring. (you can treat them like two coins, heads and tails)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Basically the question is telling you that bromine exists as two isotopes 79-Br and 81-Br

If there are two bromine atoms in the molecule how many different combinations of bromine atoms are there possible.

As the probability of 79-Br and 81-Br are equal, work out the relative probability of each combination occurring. (you can treat them like two coins, heads and tails)
    I always come to these kinds of threads thinking I'll be able to answer the question really well, and then I see someone has already posted an answer that's a lot clearer and better explained than mine would've been.

Well done sir/ madam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    I always come to these kinds of threads thinking I'll be able to answer the question really well, and then I see someone has already posted an answer that's a lot clearer and better explained than mine would've been.

Well done sir/ madam.
    especially when that someone is charco... :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.