Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 years old and I have decided I need to figure out a career I want in life. Anyway, I have decided I would like to either do something in Biology or be a Physiotherapist. The only problem I have, is that I am not very good at Maths! and that leads me to think that a degree in a Science related subject would be a waste of time for me, even though Science/Biology/Health is an area I am really interested in. I don't know what it is, but I cannot seem to grasp certain areas of mathematics, which is really frustrating beyond belief. How much Maths do the Science related subjects I mentioned contain? And would I have any chance of doing well..?

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugged88)
    I'm 22 years old and I have decided I need to figure out a career I want in life. Anyway, I have decided I would like to either do something in Biology or be a Physiotherapist. The only problem I have, is that I am not very good at Maths! and that leads me to think that a degree in a Science related subject would be a waste of time for me, even though Science/Biology/Health is an area I am really interested in. I don't know what it is, but I cannot seem to grasp certain areas of mathematics, which is really frustrating beyond belief. How much Maths do the Science related subjects I mentioned contain? And would I have any chance of doing well..?

Thanks guys, appreciate it!
    You should be fine as far as I am aware physiotherapy degree's dont have too much maths in actually And the maths it does have you should be able to get your head around, remember now your a lot older you might find it easier to grasp maths too, my science used to be rubbish I never did it at A-Level but am now about to do nursing at uni which obviously is mainly biology + chemistry + social sciences, but I am hoping now it should just click, i've been reading through some of the a-level sciences content to prepare myself actually and it isn't too bad to understand and to get down. Seriously I was really thick in the past got mediocre GCSE results and am on track for very good A-Level results youll find that you change a lot over a period of time

ReputationRep:
    There isn't much math in the fields you've mentioned. It's mostly statistics, some equations... in any case it's not something to be worried about. You don't even need an AS level in math to study biology or physiotherapy, so from that alone it's quite obvious that you don't need a lot of background in math or to be good at it to do those degrees. The basic concepts you need to understand will be discussed and worked on in either lectures or tutorials and if you feel you need extra help then you can always pick up one of those "mathematics for biologists/life scientists" type of books.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.